Tsunami Compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone has tried this compressor?? It looks decent for 50 bucks....

specs claimed:

12volts wioth max psi of 120 and 70 lpm

Thanks

Yup, it is also called the mv-50, there are several threads in here about it. Some have been able to snap them up for $25, I got mine for $48 and am happy with it, I have tested it and used it a few times, it is quiet, fast and appears to be much higher quality than the normal hardware/autoparts store junk.

I agree it's pretty fast and well worth the money IMHO. Only thing I don't like about it is the proprietary fittings it has on the pump. Has anyone found a standard fitting that will screw into the pump? The only fitting it has is to pump up a tire on the hose. I've heard of people choping of the hose to change it.

This a thread that talks about it and installing ideas: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=55156&highlight=cookie+pan

WES1977 said:
Only thing I don't like about it is the proprietary fittings it has on the pump. Has anyone found a standard fitting that will screw into the pump? The only fitting it has is to pump up a tire on the hose. I've heard of people choping of the hose to change it.

The cylinder head has 2 standard size outlets and 1 standard size inlet. They are threaded NPT; 1/8" for the air gauge and 1/8" NPT the primary outlet. The intake is 1/4" NPT (aka "Pipe")

Attaching standard fittings is trivial and they are available at Lowes, ACE, and just about everywhere that sells plumbing and pipe fittings. The quick connect for the air hose is non-standard; or maybe it's just something I've never seen. You would have to pitch the coil hose or change out the fittings.

-B-

Last edited:
calfj60 said:
Ben

Thanmks I guess I will grab one for 49 bucks then...

Where did you see it for $49? The have them at pepboys, but the even on sale i think they were $60 or $70. Still worth it though, I got some good use out of it last weekend.

yep, Pepboys has them for sale at 59.99 with a 10 buck mail in rebate...

I've used mine a few times. It is fairly small. And is a steal at 50 bucks, IMHO.

The thing get really hot, though. Don't mistakenly tough the quick-discon after use.

No pepboys here in MS. Anone want to send me one? PM please...

Looks liek 97 FZJ80 has one for me for a good price. Thanks.

mmw68 said:
Greg, we have pep boys here in Austin - going to roundup, I can deliver it? :)

So, I just got one of these, and want to be able to run an impact wrnech, and driver off of it with quick connects for the tire inflator option too.

If i change out the hose, and get all the fittings, is this little guy going to handle taking off lug nuts and the like that are short bursts, or will it need a tank?

Has anyone done this yet?

PabloVTA said:
So, I just got one of these, and want to be able to run an impact wrnech, and driver off of it with quick connects for the tire inflator option too.

If i change out the hose, and get all the fittings, is this little guy going to handle taking off lug nuts and the like that are short bursts, or will it need a tank?

I highly doubt that it would be able to run an impact wrench w/o a tank. An impact wrench uses about 5 CFM and I just cant see the little Tsunami being able to handle it even in short bursts. I dont know the specs on the Tsunami however.

I doubt you will be able to find a small compressor capable of running airtools, I think you will need a compressor and a tank to make that work.

PabloVTA said:
...will it need a tank?

I believe it will need a tank, probably 5 gal or larger.

PabloVTA said:
Since you have one now, go out and try it yourself and let us know.

-B-

PabloVTA said:

I definately think you will need a tank. I'm also not sure if the 50 is gonna hold up to that kind of abuse if used reguarly.

HIJACK HIJACK !!

Where can I get an adequate compressor to keep my OBA tank up to snuff? I have a clapped out ARB compressor in the truck, and would prefer electric to a York type compressor.

M

The MV-50 might work for you though I was not happy with it when used with a fairly large tank (~6 gal). It's strong point is 0psi to 40psi and with a tank you will need it to perform well when filling the tank from 60psi to 100/120 psi. My tank switch is set at 120psi and the MV-50 struggled (really, really struggled) when going between 100 up to switch cut-off at 120psi.

I purchased the Extreme-Air that is rated continuous duty and will pump to it's rated max of 150 psi. It has a 3/4hp electric motor and draws a considerable amperage so your existing wiring probably will NOT work. Christo sells the Extreme-Air compressors. Mine will fill the 6 gal tank to 120 psi in ~10min.

The MV-50 only draws 30amp max but it isn't happy at looooong fill times. Mine burnt up an internal relay during the testing so it was replaced with a heavier relay which kept it running longer but it still couldn't handle filling to 120psi (technically, it eventually filled the tank but it took about 45 minutes, which wasn't acceptable to me.)

I have 3 of the MV-50's but I think a couple of the unopened ones will go on eBay shortly.

-B-

Hey do you have a wiring diagram for the Extreme air?? I have an old one and can't find the wiring diagram and for some reason can't get it to work???

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom