Trying to wrap my head around my transfer case full of ATF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post here! I've searched around for an answer but there's so much info i can't really seem to understand what im looking for.

I have a 1988 FJ62 with 211000 miles. 3rd owner. Purchased last december.

When i was checking the vehicle out, i noticed (what i thought) was gear oil slowly leaking from the rear seal of the transfer case and onto the drive shaft, which slung it onto the bottom of the body. "No problem, I'll get around to fixing that later". The leak was not real noticeable so i forgot about it.

Fast forward to a week ago. My gf and i are driving from Austin to big bend. 2 hours out and the transmission light comes on and i can feel heat through the floor. No noises, and shifting normally. Stopped at an auto store and the transmission was a quart and a half low but the fluid was red and didn't smell burnt at all. Transmission cooled down, light went off, we kept driving.
80 miles later, light comes on again. we pull off and the transfer case is lightly smoking.
"Ah, the leak must have finally dried the case out. "
It wasn't dry. I pulled the FILL plug and to my suprise, hot burnt ATF started pouring out.

We flat bedded it 4 hours home at a cost of 987 dollars. Damn.

Called a couple of mechanics including someone at TLC and was told that this was common and that the chevron seal was worn out and that to fix it, i was going to need to tear my t-case apart to get to it, and in the process rebuild the t-case. Fine. I can do that.

Im looking for what part/parts i need to replace!

Sourcing a quality transfer case rebuild kit is no problem, but i cant find a part number or diagram of this "chevron seal". Several people in the industry haven't even heard of it.

What do i need to fix my truck?

Seal between the transmission and transfer case has worn and allowed ATF from the tranny to fill the transfer case. Transfer case should be filled with gear oil. Time to rebuild the transfer case and replace the seal between the t-case and tranny and I recommend using the FJ62 OEM seal.

Part number for that transfer case oil seal is PN:
90316-48003

It's just called an oil seal (that's what Toyota calls it). Maybe others call it a "chevron" seal (never heard the term) because it carries the rank of "General" in the transfer case- being the bastard that it is.

image.png

Thank you. This was exactly what I was looking for. Pic heavy rebuild thread to follow. Just now learning the format. Finally got access to some fsm. Infinite gratitude to you all.

Read and re-read the procedure. Be ready when the idler shaft falls out that ATF is going to pour all over you until you get it shoved back in. Then again when you change out the orings on it.

Part number for that transfer case oil seal is PN:
90316-48003

It's just called an oil seal (that's what Toyota calls it). Maybe others call it a "chevron" seal (never heard the term) because it carries the rank of "General" in the transfer case- being the bastard that it is.

View attachment 1687075
Does anyone out there have the step by step on how to replace this chevron seal? I've heard from a few folks that it is easy enough. I'm pretty sure I have fluid going from my transfer case to my transmission. Just opened up the transfer case plug and it was bone dry. Don't want to open her up and get in over my head. Thanks in advance

Does anyone out there have the step by step on how to replace this chevron seal? I've heard from a few folks that it is easy enough. I'm pretty sure I have fluid going from my transfer case to my transmission. Just opened up the transfer case plug and it was bone dry. Don't want to open her up and get in over my head. Thanks in advance
You’d need to pull the whole kit and caboodle. I have a bipass hose if you want I can send it to you. Came from Marc, @mwebfj60, guessing he’d not care if I recycle it further. I just rebuilt mine so I don’t need it now.

You’d need to pull the whole kit and caboodle. I have a bipass hose if you want I can send it to you. Came from Marc, @mwebfj60, guessing he’d not care if I recycle it further. I just rebuilt mine so I don’t need it now.
If you use a bypass hose, does that mean you need to fill the transfer case and transmission with the same fluid? Sounds like that bypass would equalize both sides.

Split the case and remove the entire assembly including the front case half replace the seal. It’s a major job I’d say

If you use a bypass hose, does that mean you need to fill the transfer case and transmission with the same fluid? Sounds like that bypass would equalize both sides.
Yes that’s what it’s for. A bandaide but it’s free so lmk if you want it. I can ship it Monday.

Split the case and remove the entire assembly including the front case half replace the seal. It’s a major job I’d say
Review the diagram in post #3 that @OSS added.... not a job you can do under the truck. You have to pull the PTO gear and the gear behind it plus the bearing before you can even get to the seal.

This is mine... it’s way back there.

1FA4B66D-67DE-4225-BC4D-2F942404FA1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Review the diagram in post #3 that @OSS added.... not a job you can do under the truck. You have to pull the PTO gear and the gear behind it plus the bearing before you can even get to the seal.

This is mine... it’s way back there.

View attachment 2474567
Damn, I was hoping it wasn't major surgery. I think I may go the bypass hose route to buy me enough time to get funds for an LQ9 and 4L80E conversion. Appreciate the assist!

Using a bypass hose isn't even a band-aid on the FJ62 with the automatic transmission. The two cases use different lubricants- ATF and gear oil.

The bypass hose only works for the 60, or a 62 with an H55. Both the transmission and the t-case use the same gear oil.

In the 62, you’ve got ATF in the trans and gear oil in the t-case, so mixing/equalizing is not an option.

Using a bypass hose isn't even a band-aid on the FJ62 with the automatic transmission. The two cases use different lubricants- ATF and gear oil.
Oh shoot. I missed that.

If I were in your shoes I would:

Do this now: drain and refill the tc with auto trans fluid. Check the fluid level in the trans regularly, filling as necessary until it stabilizes in the normal range. The tc will be overfull, but based on my experience, you can run for years without any problems. AT fluid in the tc is the lesser evil compared with gear oil in the AT.

When convenient: rebuild the tc with the new transmission output shaft seal. Replace the breather. Put gear oil back in the tc. Afterwards, keep a very close eye on the tc oil level until you are confident the issue is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom