Trying to smog 1997 LC in California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
Hi all. We recently bought a 1997 80 series LC from Washington State. Had it shipped to California and had quite a bit of work done on the rig. Been driving it for roughly 300 miles now and the catalyst monitoring status is "incomplete". Everything else has passed. No check engine light. I have my own OBDII tool to keep checking and have tried all the suggestions on this site for the different drive cycles to get the status to reset. Toyota drive cycle to complete OBD readiness monitors | JUST SMOGS® + REPAIR - http://justsmogs.com/2016/05/1996-to-2002-toyota-obd-ii-catalyst-monitor-readiness-drive-patterns/#comments. Anyone else have any other suggestions? The Toyota/Honda shop that did the work for us suggested that we just need to keep driving the car as long as it takes, but the registration is expired and is from out of state and we're concerned about getting pulled over with expired registration. Just would like to know if there's anything specific to consider. The work that was done included
  • Replace EGR Valve, EGR Vacuum Solenoid and oxygen sensor.
  • Disassemble and performed EGR Port Cleaning Service
  • Replace water temperature sensor
The car is running great and smooth. Just want to get it smogged and registered so that we can really enjoy it fully.

Had the same problem with my Buick, drove and drove cat would not come out of incomplete. I replace the Cat passed smog 15 mins later,Looked at the inside of the cat and most of it was broken out.

Have you actually tried to get it smog'd yet (and failed)?

Supposedly, you're allowed 1 incomplete monitor. I printed this out and had it in the car when I was trying to get my '97 smog'd (sorry, didn't save the URL for the actual web page). Luckily, I finally got all my monitors to complete, so I didn't need to test the 1 incomplete monitor situation.

BAR OBD II Requirements.png

Also, this is the procedure I followed for the cat monitor, which was brutal on Southern California freeways, even later in the evening (10pm-ish). Chugging along between 40-50mph for 10+ minutes. I think I did this "4" times to get it ready. 2 times on 2 nights (basically out and back each night).

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 5.49.25 PM.png

Attachments

• Lexus_ReadinessMonitorDrivePattern_96-02.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 48

Supposedly, you're allowed 1 incomplete monitor. I printed this out and had it in the car when I was trying to get my '97 smog'd (sorry, didn't save the URL for the actual web page). Luckily, I finally got all my monitors to complete, so I didn't need to test the 1 incomplete monitor situation.

View attachment 2797626
Wow, ok. I didn't know that. I'm going to check tomorrow and if the smog shop confirms that, which it appears is still the case, then I'm going to give it a go since I only have the one incomplete. I just assumed that since the one that I have that is incomplete is the catalyst, I couldn't pass smog with that. Also, thanks for the drive cycles. Yesterday we tried that pretty much exactly as you did. We did 2 separate 10 mile drives each way, out and back. I said a little prayer after each one, but the monitor still was incomplete. But the guidance I read said go 55 mph, so I set the cruise on that speed. Sunday afternoon, traffic was light, so wasn't a problem, but wasn't too happy when the monitor was still incomplete. Anyway, thanks again. Fingers crossed, maybe just maybe I can get this done tomorrow.

I would empty the tank and then go buy some non ethanol gas, and drive it with that also don't worry about the PoPo arresting you :flipoff2: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can't get ethanol gas in CA. practically get arrested for thinking about it.
I smuggle a few gallons in for my chain saw, etc.
Sad but true
Go to any boat or VP gas station and tell them it is for your boat

I have had this happen twice over the last 13 years both times new o2 sensors fixed it.

Can't get ethanol gas in CA. practically get arrested for thinking about it.
I smuggle a few gallons in for my chain saw, etc.
Sad but true

Did you mean ethanol - free gas?

Ethanol gas is the ultra-common stuff here in WA state.

I live in WA & it’s a ‘word of mouth/ask a local’ -where to get 92 octane in eth-free for our boats, quads, pressure washers, etc.

Also, for whatever reason WA state has been defunding emissions stations for >5yrs or so.

So any out of state buyer may want to know that, esp say the Cali folks where smog/tailpipe tests are still very strict.

Did you mean ethanol - free gas?

Ethanol gas is the ultra-common stuff here in WA state.

I live in WA & it’s a ‘word of mouth/ask a local’ -where to get 92 octane in eth-free for our boats, quads, pressure washers, etc.

Also, for whatever reason WA state has been defunding emissions stations for >5yrs or so.

So any out of state buyer may want to know that, esp say the Cali folks where smog/tailpipe tests are still very strict.
Yeah, I meant ethanol free. I was just testing you!
You passed the reading comprehension test.
(Just call me an idiot)

Wow, ok. I didn't know that. I'm going to check tomorrow and if the smog shop confirms that, which it appears is still the case, then I'm going to give it a go since I only have the one incomplete. I just assumed that since the one that I have that is incomplete is the catalyst, I couldn't pass smog with that. Also, thanks for the drive cycles. Yesterday we tried that pretty much exactly as you did. We did 2 separate 10 mile drives each way, out and back. I said a little prayer after each one, but the monitor still was incomplete. But the guidance I read said go 55 mph, so I set the cruise on that speed. Sunday afternoon, traffic was light, so wasn't a problem, but wasn't too happy when the monitor was still incomplete. Anyway, thanks again. Fingers crossed, maybe just maybe I can get this done tomorrow.

I had this problem before. Here is my thread: How do I get my OBDII I/M monitors "ready"? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-do-i-get-my-obdii-i-m-monitors-ready.618275/

At one point this truck had a check engine light and the ECU was reset either via an OBD scanner or by disconnecting the battery. When the ECUs are reset with a code stored, the monitors may NEVER switch to ready because of the pending code. The OBD monitors will continue to be in a Not Ready state. This was my case when I had a bad o2 sensor. No matter how many times I did the drive cycles the monitors would not switch to ready. As soon as I replaced the bad sensor, the monitor switched to ready after completing the drive cycle on the first time. So you're just wasting gas. It says so right in the bulletin:

NOTE: The readiness status may not switch to “complete” after the first drive pattern trip if a Pending Code has been set (first trip for a two–trip DTC).
Pending Codes are available from the DTC Info Menu in Enhanced OBDII.
Pending Codes indicate a POTENTIAL problem was detected. A second trip is needed to confirm the DTC prior to diagnosis.
Once a second trip is completed, a current DTC will be stored.

I had this problem before. Here is my thread: How do I get my OBDII I/M monitors "ready"? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-do-i-get-my-obdii-i-m-monitors-ready.618275/

At one point this truck had a check engine light and the ECU was reset either via an OBD scanner or by disconnecting the battery. When the ECUs are reset with a code stored, the monitors may NEVER switch to ready because of the pending code. The OBD monitors will continue to be in a Not Ready state. This was my case when I had a bad o2 sensor. No matter how many times I did the drive cycles the monitors would not switch to ready. As soon as I replaced the bad sensor, the monitor switched to ready after completing the drive cycle on the first time. So you're just wasting gas. It says so right in the bulletin:
Just got back from the smog shop. She passed with flying colors. Such a relief. Wouldn't have even known to try without this forum informing me that you can pass smog with 1 incomplete monitor, even the cat monitor. I'm kind of shocked to be honest. Yes, could have driven the car hundreds of miles more and perhaps never completed that cycle. Now I don't have to worry about it for 2 years. So psyched!!!

Just got back from the smog shop. She passed with flying colors. Such a relief. Wouldn't have even known to try without this forum informing me that you can pass smog with 1 incomplete monitor, even the cat monitor. I'm kind of shocked to be honest. Yes, could have driven the car hundreds of miles more and perhaps never completed that cycle. Now I don't have to worry about it for 2 years. So psyched!!!

Yeah in California you can still pass if you have one monitor shown as not ready. However I still wouldn't ignore it for another two years. That monitor is most likely detecting a problem which could impact your overall drivability, and MPG's - Especially those related to the catalyst system.

Yeah in California you can still pass if you have one monitor shown as not ready. However I still wouldn't ignore it for another two years. That monitor is most likely detecting a problem which could impact your overall drivability, and MPG's - Especially those related to the catalyst system.
Definitely won't be ignoring it. Just happy we can get the car registered now and have lots of time to determine if there are any issues that need to be addressed before we have to get it smogged again. Now the car is off to the custom shop this Friday for an Apple Car Play system with back up camera, remote lock/unlock and a few other minor improvements.

View attachment 2797626
Thanks again thebfg!!! If you hadn't mentioned this, I'd have been driving the car possibly for hundreds of miles unneccessarily. Took it into the smog shop today and it passed easily. So psyched, you have no idea. Love the car community. Every different make of car I've ever owned, the car community always comes through.

I'd have been driving the car possibly for hundreds of miles unneccessarily

Pretty much describes Land Cruiser ownership.

I'd have been driving the car possibly for hundreds of miles unneccessarily

Pretty much describes Land Cruiser ownership.
Says a guy w/ <1K posts in ~11yrs.

Is Casper any part of your given name? :flipoff2:

Anyhow, good to ‘meet‘ you. :p

I don't have nearly the experience to post meaningfully like a lot of you guys on here. Now that I did my own head gasket, maybe I can post a little more. Next up is the axle service so I'll have both rites of passage done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom