Trying to pinpoint a leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed today what looks like oil (maybe) on the driverside on top of the axle. It looks like is dripping down from somewhere below the distributor and above the alternator, any ideas where this might be coming from? Its' on a 97'

Oil filter?

residual oil from the filter can do that. I consider it free rustproofing.

If you're worried, clean it up with some brake cleaner or equivilant, then run the engine and shine a light up at the filter and related areas and take a peek.

What brand oil filter are you using?

I know what you are going through. I had an oil leak that has been getting worse over the years. I know the valve cover gasket was leaking. Ordered parts from CDan and changed valve cover gasket and spark plug tubes. Cleaned off the engine and still oil leaking. Just last week changed out the distributor o ring, and cleaned off the engine. Still leaking.

My next gasket to change out will be the oil pump gasket, I hope that's it. If it's not your distributor o ring then it is probibly your oil pump gasket. You need to remove lots of stuff from the front of the motor and remove your belts. You also have to remove 7 phillips head screws from and area that doesn't give you much room to work. You should hope it's your dist. o ring.

Its not oil filter thats what i thought to begin with. I just put new valve cover gasket on a month ago, no leaks there. It is more towards the front of the vehicle than the oil filter.

Dizzy o-ring is probably the culprit, easy fix
They are known to leak over time

Have you ruled out powersteering?

I have a power steering leak in that same area OP described. Haven't pinpointed it yet. Hoses look good from the top ...

OP says it is below the dizzy and near or above the alternator area
I dont think it is the steering

Is there a bunch of oil gunk just under your dizzy where it meets the head?

It is not the steering, I think it has to be the dizzy. I usually buy oem parts, but would it matter on an o ring any thoughts.

Just get an OEM one. In the past, I have spent the time to measure them carefully, and then search for one of the proper size, and hope its right. Its worked for me every time...except the last time, and I got ticked at having to do it again, even though it wasn't that hard to redo. They aren't that expensive anyways

X2 just get an OEM ring
If you get one from somewhere else and are off buy just a little bit it could leak again over time or sooner
You dont want to have to pull it apart again for that.

bgrib75: what year/model do you have? Ditto what others said above. On my 96 FZJ-80 I had a power steering leak (suction port O-ring) and leaking from the oil pump cover O-ring. Some oil from the oil pump cover leak blew back and mixed with the power steering leak, then some of that dripped down onto the front axle. I cleaned everything off and watched it closely then took some close-up photos and studied them on my computer which helped show exactly where the leaks were coming from.

Just an update, It was the dizzy o-ring. I changed it out this past weekend and no more leak. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom