Trxus mud terrain 34/12.5/16 with OME heavy springs ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I went to the 4wheel drive "truckfest" in San Mateo earlier today. It’s pretty much a ford/Chevy/jeep fest but this year they had the FJcruiser trail team there, it was pretty cool. Got to meet Woody, what a nice guy:) thanked him for the website, we talked 80's it was fun. My next mod was going to be OME J's and L shocks plus all the Slee brackets/blocks and either the 3degrees castor bushings or plates. I was going to run 315'sand eventually regear to 4:88's. Today while looking at the Interco exhibit I saw the Trxus in a 34/12.5/16 size very nice tire according to their specs it is a true 34" tall tire. I am currently running 285’s, which are 32.7” tall, what is the group consensus on running the trxus with my current suspension is OME heavies with 1" Mr. Gasket spacer upfront? Anyone running this setup ? Any rubbing at full flex? Would I still need to regear and run the Slee brackets/blocks with my current setup ?

The 34x12.5 is a great tire size, I don't know why more manufacturers don't make it. I ran them on my old rig, and run 35's on the 80.

If you have the regular OME shocks, it will be very close with no bumpstop extension. This pic shows the rear bumpstop to axle on OME medium (same compression point as you will have since the shocks are the same) just as a 35" trxus starts to rub. There is about 1.25" of travel left to bumpstop. Keep in mind I don't have flares.

I think the 34's will work, no question to me on L shocks with the necessary bumpstop drops. You could easily run 35's on that lift with different shocks (I probably have a bit less total lift than you do and run 35" trxus cleanly on a 10" travel shock).

Nay
35 Full Stuff Bumpstops.jpg

thanks Nay, I think I am gonna go ahead and get the bumpstop extensions and sway-bar drop brackets from Slee and try running this tire size with the heavies. What are you using for castor correction ? Currently I am running the OME castor correction bushings.

thanks nakman, I think I am gonna go for it. They wanted $196.00 per tire, they usually sell for $220.00, I know that once in a while 4-wheel drive has a buy 3 get one for free deal, so I don't know. I really don't want to buy from 4-wheel drive since they have shady reputation.

thanks Nay, I think I am gonna go ahead and get the bumpstop extensions and sway-bar drop brackets from Slee and try running this tire size with the heavies. What are you using for castor correction ? Currently I am running the OME castor correction bushings.

I run OME caster correct as well - it's marginal and one day I'll do a DC shaft with the "washer mod" and go back to rubber bushings.

Get the 34's before you drop your bumpstops 2". You aren't going to need that much for 34's. I think you will be able to get away with a half inch to 3/4", and you'll have more travel that way.

But the heavies are plenty of lift for that tire - you definitely don't need more, so do as little bumpstop drop as possible.

right on Nay, I think the 34's are a good choice for me since I currently have the flares on my truck. I also think 2" is too much, I'll install the tires first before starting to shop for brackets/blocks. I am also going to hold off on the regearing as well since I don't think the 34's are going to be that much different than the 285's regarding performance. do you have any pics of your truck with the 35" trxus tires ?

A couple of locals are running 315's with OME heavy's, so you shouldn't have too much trouble fitting those tires? What is the tread width? Most of the time the first contact is sidewall and/or tread lugs to fender well on the rear, wheel spacers or wheels with less backspace maybe a good choice?

the thread width according to the brochure is 9.60 for a 34/12.5/16 inch tire. same as their 33/12.5/16 inch tire. Surprisingly the 35" tire has a 9.55 inch thread width. Have been looking at prices, their coming in around $220 a tire anyone recommend a place to get the tires besides 4wheel parts ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom