Trunnion Bearing Preload (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Someone had been into my knuckles before me and ham fisted a lot of stuff I'm trying to baseline. When I took it apart only one side had a shim on it. The other side did not. I put it all back together the same and the side with out the shim has preload within spec and the one with a shim is below spec (~3-4ft/lbs). I removed the shim and the preload was closer but still on the low end (~4.5-5ft/lbs).

I just wanted to double check my logic and that bigger shims = less preload? Seems right in my head and based on, you know, physics, but I just wanted to double check because I couldn't find anything in the FSM.

And what does not within spec with no shims mean for the whole situation? Time for new bearings? Trucks trash and I should sell it to you for scrap price? :p

Thicker shims less preload. I’ll buy it for scrap price per pound. :flipoff2:

And your mud handle.... really??? “Get off my lawn“.

Someone had been into my knuckles before me and ham fisted a lot of stuff I'm trying to baseline. When I took it apart only one side had a shim on it. The other side did not. I put it all back together the same and the side with out the shim has preload within spec and the one with a shim is below spec (~3-4ft/lbs). I removed the shim and the preload was closer but still on the low end (~4.5-5ft/lbs).

I just wanted to double check my logic and that bigger shims = less preload? Seems right in my head and based on, you know, physics, but I just wanted to double check because I couldn't find anything in the FSM.

And what does not within spec with no shims mean for the whole situation? Time for new bearings? Trucks trash and I should sell it to you for scrap price? :p
If I was in that far, I'd probably replace the trunnion bearings anyway. They take a lost of abuse and wear in the same 15° of travel all the time. If you're down to no shims and still low, I'd say you have worn out bearings. FSM says to just reinstall the shim in the factory location. Hopefully Mr. Hamfistinmyass put the shims back where he found them and didn't just install randomly so had no left over parts.

The trunnion bearings are all new. The side with OK preload and no shims feels great. The other side *might* have gotten the lower pinched putting the steering arm in when i was a mite distracted and *maybe* feels a bit notchy. It was just a really bad day all the way around... NEW new one is en route to see if that helps.

And your mud handle.... really??? “Get off my lawn“.

Separate lawns here Baldi, one for the hirsute and one for the glabrous. ;)

The trunnion bearings are all new. The side with OK preload and no shims feels great. The other side *might* have gotten the lower pinched putting the steering arm in when i was a mite distracted and *maybe* feels a bit notchy. It was just a really bad day all the way around... NEW new one is en route to see if that helps.

Separate lawns here Baldi, one for the hirsute and one for the glabrous. ;)
My forehead defines me and while it may sound crazy, i never gave thought to
trunion bearing preload through two fj40's and three fzj80's. Maybe my bald hirsute brings good luck.

I’m not over concerned about it. Just trying to baseline a rig that has had at least one or two suspect repairs in the past. I live out of my rig and get to some pretty remote places and I feel that less is definitely more when it comes to breakdowns.

Plus, using fishing gear to determine factor specs... cmon how fun is that?

I didn't bother with it. I put it back together with new bearings and i don't feel any play. I cleaned my old bearings just to see how they were, turns out they were destroyed and yet, I changed them as part of PM, had no idea they had partially exploded. After doing the Birf job, it wasn't that hard and i bet i get 100k out of what i have. I thought about the felt and all the other stuff in there, and then decided no play is good enough for me.

I have a 6th question: Is the preload done with the wipers on? One would think that would add a decent amount of drag to the equation....
Technically, no. The wipers would be loose on the knuckle for the preload test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom