true name for the sensor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not long ago I replaced the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. It stopped the truck from shifting in and out of overdrive, got rid of the check engine light, and stopped it from stalling after several minutes of driving after it warmed up.

Now lately the truck randomly won't start. This only happens when it's pretty cold outside. It seems like right around 20-25 degrees or under it won't start. However, as soon as it's like 29-30 degrees it fires right up. After much reading I'm thinking it is the Cold start injector coolant temp sensor? This is the sensor right next to the engine coolant temp sensor yes? Would this be the likely cause? Truck drives great and has no problem firing right up if it's a decent temp. I was thinking once it gets just a bit too cold that sensor isn't working properly and thus won't allow the truck to fire up.

Let me know what you think. Also, what is the sensor called because the toyota parts guy doesn't seem to know what I'm talkin about nor does napa. I replaced the regular engine coolant temp sensor with one from napa no problem at all but they don't list this sensor in their system. Is the cold start sensor the same type sensor as the eng cool temp one when you replace it?

Thanks

Cold Start Time Switch. It controls the cold start injector.

Is it something you can buy at a parts store similar to the engine coolant temp sensor rather than going through Toyota? If they're not known to fail would replacing with a used one from a junkyard even be worth it?

You can try a boneyard sensor. They were used on various engines, not just trucks, just make sure the connector is correct. It's probably available aftermarket, but I would stick with Toyota. Purchase from a discount dealer to take the sting out of the purchase. As I recall, this one is pricey. What are you working on?

working on a 87 pickup. 2wd EFI. Ya the guy at toyota quoted like $160 which seems outrageous to me.

Your dealer quoted you list. List price is $159.67. Contact Cruiserdan here at MUD and he will sell you one for $119.75, plus the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom