True Cost of 60 Ownership (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've thought about this topic off and on over the years, wondering how much money I've spent on my FJ62 and if it made any economic sense at all. I tried to keep track of the expenses in a spreadsheet, but I wasn't disciplined enough to stay on top of it. I think that if I divided the total cost of ownership by the number of miles driven, the cost per mile would likely be similar to that of other SUV's. I regard the "unnecessary" things (custom rims, tire carriers, etc.) as my hobby! Those expenditures are not included as vehicle expenses; they are more like entertainment!

My Cruisers make me smile, and I just can't put a price on that!

:)

I've thought about this topic off and on over the years, wondering how much money I've spent on my FJ62 and if it made any economic sense at all. I tried to keep track of the expenses in a spreadsheet, but I wasn't disciplined enough to stay on top of it. I think that if I divided the total cost of ownership by the number of miles driven, the cost per mile would likely be similar to that of other SUV's. I regard the "unnecessary" things (custom rims, tire carriers, etc.) as my hobby! Those expenditures are not included as vehicle expenses; they are more like entertainment!

My Cruisers make me smile, and I just can't put a price on that!

:)

I find myself doing the same thing, but the grey line happens when I need to repair something and instead of just repairing whatever, I upgrade. For example, my 4speed and split case were not very happy campers a couple of winters ago ( making lots of noise ) so I ordered a H55 + split case from Australia. Turns out my t-case just needed a rebuild but I ended up swapping it all out "while I was in there".

Another, more recent example is my rear diff. The pinion bearings have gone bad, leading to lots of noise and excessive play. I could just have found another 62 diff for around $100 but I happened to stumble upon a great deal on an e-locker, so I picked it up. Another upgrade instead of a repair.

I have a hard time determining where the hobby and necessity dividing lines lay. Good thing my girlfriend doesn't mind my spending, not that she knows about all of it anyway;p

I have kept up with it and its worth every penny. Some is required but 95% isn't. the initial cost of my 60 was 2500 and I have probably spent another 8k in stuff upgrading it and I wont stop. When the 2f gives up there will be a motor swap and so on.

Inother, more recent example is my rear diff. The pinion bearings have gone bad, leading to lots of noise and excessive play. I could just have found another 62 diff for around $100 but I happened to stumble upon a great deal on an e-locker, so I picked it up. Another upgrade instead of a repair.

I have a hard time determining where the hobby and necessity dividing lines lay. Good thing my girlfriend doesn't mind my spending, not that she knows about all of it anyway;p

Mine has a vibration in the rear that Im tracking down but to find it I am "having to" replacing everything. lol rebuild 3rd member with arb locker. new drive shaft maybe a tcase rebuild with new gears

Its all a necessity. and as long as she is a girlfriend you are breaking her in. When she becomes a wife is when they care about spending. Thats when the Necessity comes in.

Sept. 10,2010
Used 84 FJ60 cruiser 176,000 miles w/ new 31" BFG's $1800
by Nov. 2010
bumper $250
Lights $40
Rock crawler rims $250
fluids flush (payed for it) $250
Sealed T-case (payed for it) $360
hybrid HFS/OME/Skyjacker 4"lift (to be installed over thanksgiving)
$1600

Total as of Nov. 9, 2010 (2 months later)
1800+2750= $4550

Luckily my girlfriend doesn't ask...:banana:

So far I've spent $10 on some vacuum tube, $10 on a battery tie-down and $60 on a fuel pump. I'll keep my fingers crossed :eek:

true cost?

Your soul.

swamp60

I've got records like that on mine. I'm going with $22,000. Heck, there was about $2,000 worth of J-tube EGR exhaust repair on mine before I put the SOR stainless steel one on.

I wasn't including the original purchase price. And, mine is bone stock except for 31 inch tires.:hmm:

You might as well spell it B-O-A-T.

That's the only bigger money pit i can think of...I have one of those too.:D

You might as well spell it B-O-A-T.

That's the only bigger money pit i can think of...I have one of those too.:D

Yeah, but the cruiser has resale value, even after all these years. :)

What about this toyota Epic ski boat? I actually have a Mastercraft

normal_IMG_0455.JPG

Sorry, back on topic.....

It's not the cost that should be the concern. It is the return on investment that matters. Everything I do to my 62 adds value and makes it more desirable/reliable. Bottom line, most other vehicles are rapidly depreciating assets but early Land Cruisers if properly maintained hold their value, even appreciate. So, I've convinced myself all the money spent on my FJ is an investment :grinpimp:.

Mine pays me ;)

Care to share your recipe!
Can't stop ordering parts long enough to add it all up, but i don't care much either.

I was doing some figuring the other day on my cost so far....now I have owned my 60 for about a year and also have about 7 to pick parts from so some of my costs are lower......ish

1000 for the FJ60 in running driving shape rusty for sure but everything works. 265K when I got it
850 for tires 6 months later. 33*10.50*15 BFG KM2s
80 to replace the exhaust that I blew up
100 for all four shocks......I am a parts manager so I deal with my vendors and get deals lol
Front Brakes pads and rotors 50 for the pads/rotors....40 to get them installed :)
Rear Brake shoes and drums turned 18 for parts 30 for install
50...Hella fogs
50 Silvania Headlights
Free gas tank
Free oil changes....minus parts....60 bucks
So I have spent more on the thing after I bought it then I paid for it but for what it is I couldn't buy anything else.

I am not going to try and total everything, but I got a package from CCOT yesterday valued at $250. I get a package about every other week of goodies for my cruiser. So, I would say in the few months that I have owned it, I am looking at $1000. I still need new tires and haven't even begun to work on the interior.

the "true" cost of 60 series cannot be measured in dollars. it becomes a part of your life in ways other than your budget. Your ROI is not monetary, it is emotional, psychological, and potentialy physical if you ever unfortunate enough to have an accident in it. Searh accidents/wrecks in this forum and read the stories who feel they owe the life and well being of themselvs and/or those they love to their cruiser. When you have yours long enough it is an extension of yourself and you of it.
Be the Cruiser, man.

swamp60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom