True 3" Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What if 3 isn't enough. But 4 is too much. Maybe 3.245" is the right amount.

3" competition coils? What kind are you looking at?

First off I'm new here on mud and have learned a lot from our members here. I have too and still am deciding on which lift to go with. After
months of reading and riding in friends rigs. I came up with OME 3" Comp coils on 315's, for my application, which to some might be overkill for true overlandng abroad.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I never understood why people would get a 2.5" coil and then put spacers on. Weight (Bumper/Batts/Winch) will weigh it down. What I'm saying is that 2.5" lift now becomes almost stock height (If one were to add weight), then people put spacers on to raise it back up to level.
For example my friend had J's, then with the added weight it came down to around 3" but was too soft for his tastes, then went to 4" Comp coils. IMHO with 37's rides like a dream with the resi system he has. That I think is almost a true 4" wo/spacers.

Sorry getting off topic here, but yes take my option with a grain of salt. I think OME 3" competition coils will net you roughly 3" or less with the additional weight your going to put on.

What if 3 isn't enough. But 4 is too much. Maybe 3.245" is the right amount.
I know right. You got what I am saying. What if 3.245" is the perfect amount for my rig. Maybe I can airbag it as well and then as the tread wears out on the tires from driving increase the amount to lift it 1/1000th" at a time. Now we are getting somewhere...:flipoff2::beer::flipoff2:

First off I'm new here on mud and have learned a lot from our members here. I have too and still am deciding on which lift to go with. After
months of reading and riding in friends rigs. I came up with OME 3" Comp coils on 315's, for my application, which to some might be overkill for true overlandng abroad.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I never understood why people would get a 2.5" coil and then put spacers on. Weight (Bumper/Batts/Winch) will weigh it down. What I'm saying is that 2.5" lift now becomes almost stock height (If one were to add weight), then people put spacers on to raise it back up to level.
For example my friend had J's, then with the added weight it came down to around 3" but was too soft for his tastes, then went to 4" Comp coils. IMHO with 37's rides like a dream with the resi system he has. That I think is almost a true 4" wo/spacers.

Sorry getting off topic here, but yes take my option with a grain of salt. I think OME 3" competition coils will net you roughly 3" or less with the additional weight your going to put on.
I am like you and have relied on this forum and the knowledge here for a long time. I want to do this correctly and get the most out of my rig. She has been so good to me for so many years. I feel it is my responsibility to make her as good as she can be. At the same time I don't want to get so high that it is a bitch to get in and out of, or a bear to drive.

I keep coming back to the guys like Christo and others. These guys did all the heavy lifting on this stuff. I keep coming back to this article http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_35.htm and think maybe I just say screw it and go for the 4 inches and be done with it. I want to be able to appropriately clear 35's not just get by.

From what I am seeing and reading. Between 2.5 to 4 inches is a very vague area when it comes to lifting these trucks. Ideas and experience vary widely.

Anyway. this is my dilemma.

You don't have to trim for 40s if you add 2" spacers on top of your 6" springs :hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

View attachment 1121769

Well ok. He shoulda trimmed the rear bumperettes but they ejected safely on the first trail :doh:
Who makes 2" spacers? That's ridiculous, yet fun. It would be weird to be the opposite, and say that I run 40s on the street and 37s on the trail:hmm:

Who makes 2" spacers? That's ridiculous, yet fun. It would be weird to be the opposite, and say that I run 40s on the street and 37s on the trail:hmm:
metal tech used to and i think still does make the 2'' spacers and there was a home brew group buy as well one time.... and many moons ago the slee adjustable spacers :D
40 at's and 37mts doesnt sound like a bad combo.... except my back hurts thinking about swap day

Amazing pic @jfz80, I downloaded it : ) off-topic, but do you know what those tabs are on the front bumper of the 80 with 40s?
Just a lil lineup for fun before heading to the trail 8" on 40s 4'' on 37s and 2.5'' on 35s
as for the nose ring on a bull option for the stinger.... id imagine it was a for securing extra line or extensions in a figure 8 fasion.

metal tech used to and i think still does make the 2'' spacers and there was a home brew group buy as well one time.... and many moons ago the slee adjustable spacers :D
40 at's and 37mts doesnt sound like a bad combo.... except my back hurts thinking about swap day

Just a lil lineup for fun before heading to the trail 8" on 40s 4'' on 37s and 2.5'' on 35s
as for the nose ring on a bull option for the stinger.... id imagine it was a for securing extra line or extensions in a figure 8 fasion.

Swap in the morning, Chiropractor in the afternoon, wheeling the next day.

Here's my $.02 for ya... When I got my 93, it had saggy springs that were probably down 3/4" from stock. I knew it would get all the armor and extra weight, so I went with OME heavies. The thought being +/- 2.5" of lift once it was all kitted out. On stock tires after the lift went in it gained about 4.5" total, plus 1" from the tire increase (to 33" tires). Since then the springs have "broken in" and have dropped about a 1/2" bringing it down to 5" overall. Now I have an ARB plus a winch up front, a fridge, tools and parts, and a new rear bumper with tire carrier. I'm still sitting about 3" front and rear (plus the 1" for tire size).... Caveat here, I did install a 25mm spacer up front to level it out. Knowing what I know now, the only change I would make is to order "J's" (which I am told are 1" longer heavies) up front to go with the heavies out back.

That all being said, how important is that extra 1/2" of lift? Why do you feel you need it?

Im just installing 2.5 remote res cdc adj coil overs, to go with the bypasses for the high speed, and get it at 3" but I only have little tyres normally, 35's, 38s for winter wheeling.

@jfz80 ok, I found them on metal tech, got a couple questions. Does that rig have aftermarket front links (I have slee kit, with built in caster correction) and did additional caster correction have to be done? And I see they bolt in, does the bumpstop bolt to the spacer when in place? I curious as they're flat, and how does the spring stay centered? I'd love to jump up to a slightly wider 38" tire (14.50) and still have some room to play with. I have rear 30mm spacers I never put in, and already have the same installed in the front. Thinking of the 2" in front and 30mm in rear. It sits pretty darn close to level as is, so that wouldn't be a problem. Actually ok since I'll be adding a winch in the next few months. Input greatly appreciated on the caster issues, i d like an idea of how in depth it is, or tolerable to drive without adding correction plates/bushings.

pm sent to let lex have his thread back...... but one last hijack....

coilovers at 3'' height would be awesome on these rigs... @AutoCraft Aus please keep us posted on the progress and pics please

Just a quick question. I am having trouble finding a true 3" lift for my 97LX450. I have been looking at the Slee 4 inch, but I really don't want to go 4 inches. Plus the price is so high on the 4" (Absolutely worth it, if I wanted to go that high). Thought about the 2.5 OME with extra heavies and spacers.

Anyway. Does anyone have any idea if a true 3" exists for these anymore.

Thanks

Bud, save yourself the heart/headache and get the Slee 4" and be done with it. If you truly want 3" of lift, then contact a coil spring manufacturer and have a set made for you. A local buddy went this route with his FJC for the rears. He was able to specify how much lift and what kind of weight he'll be carrying. The end result for him was totally worth the money, according to him.

I'm on 4" Slee for a very long time and I'm quite heavy, around 7,000lbs. The spring rate on these springs is just perfect and that is something you might have a hard time achieving with OME springs. A quick word about suspension that's been talked about many times. You need the whole package- properly valves shocks with the correct spring rate. Slee put together a nice package with caster correction and all that. Lots of R&D went into this so you won't waste time and money. I'd venture to say that most of us are on our either second or third iteration on the suspension swap game. So, save up the pennies, take the plunge and do it once.

Just my .02 cents.

Bud, save yourself the heart/headache and get the Slee 4" and be done with it. If you truly want 3" of lift, then contact a coil spring manufacturer and have a set made for you. A local buddy went this route with his FJC for the rears. He was able to specify how much lift and what kind of weight he'll be carrying. The end result for him was totally worth the money, according to him.

I'm on 4" Slee for a very long time and I'm quite heavy, around 7,000lbs. The spring rate on these springs is just perfect and that is something you might have a hard time achieving with OME springs. A quick word about suspension that's been talked about many times. You need the whole package- properly valves shocks with the correct spring rate. Slee put together a nice package with caster correction and all that. Lots of R&D went into this so you won't waste time and money. I'd venture to say that most of us are on our either second or third iteration on the suspension swap game. So, save up the pennies, take the plunge and do it once.

Just my .02 cents.
This is what I have been coming back to. Every time I come back to the Slee 4". And for all the reasons you stated. I believe this is the way I will go in the end. Thanks to everyone for the input.

pm sent to let lex have his thread back...... but one last hijack....

coilovers at 3'' height would be awesome on these rigs... @AutoCraft Aus please keep us posted on the progress and pics please

Will do. Might start a build thread for my factory TD Sahara. [end hijack]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom