Truckhaven Hills - Thanksgiving Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.socallandcruisers.com
The club is planning to be out at Truckhaven Hills near the Salton Sea over Thanksgiving weekend and anyone interested is welcome to join us. If you have not been out there it is a great place to wheel and is suitable for both stock and highly modified trucks. It is also great place to bring motorcycles or quads. We will probably do a few scenic runs on Friday afternoon/Saturday morning and hit some of the tougher obstacles Saturday afternoon. A couple club members may be arriving on Thursday and the rest will be out there late Friday morning and stay through Saturday/Sunday. Truckhaven Hills is close enough for just a day trip if that's all the time you have, but there's plenty of space for us all to camp in a socially distant and responsible way. It is primitive camping and there are no facilities.

Let me know if you are interested by replying or by email (cwheron@yahoo.com) and I will keep you posted on our plans and I can send you my phone number in case you need directions to camp. I hope to see some of you out there!

Here is a link to photos of last years Truckhaven run:

2019 Truckhaven

Here is the approx. location of where we plan to camp (it could change depending on crowds and who gets there first):

Camp

interested about either Friday or Saturday for the day.

Won't go into the history, but our family has it's big Thanksgiving dinner on Friday so doubt I'll make it out.

Big family dinner cancelled for Friday so just our immediate family Thursday.

I'm in! Hopefully the winds won't be as horrific as the last time I tried this trip...right Chris!? Standard dome tents were bent to the ground from the high winds that are possible out there.

Winds can get bad out there... Great place for a motorhome but not so much for a tent when the winds pick up. We have packed up and left at least a couple of times over the last 20+ years. The last three years have been really nice though. Hopefully, the weather holds this year since I will be in a ground tent...

My dad and I will be headed out from Yorba Linda early Saturday morning to meet up with the group for the day. Dad's never been out into the SoCal desert. Would be nice to take in a mild trail while we're out there.

Would be nice to take in a mild trail while we're out there.

The tentative plan for Saturday morning is to go up to the Calcite mine in Anza Borrego. There are a couple challenges on the trail but it is mostly easy. It has some great scenery and we will stop for a short hike through nice a slot canyon. It should be a good run for someone that has not been out in the desert...

Leaving around 6am to be out for the day on Friday. Trying to get a friend to come out with their jeep, never been off road before. Back from 3 days in Sedona...this will make 6 times by the cutoff in a week!
20201126_110553.jpg

Leaving around 6am to be out for the day on Friday.

Most of the group will probably end up getting there later than you but there are plenty of places to tool around and have fun until we show up... I am towing my 40 so it will take a bit longer to get out there. See you tomorrow!

Two reasons I'm bailing. New charcoal canister arrives today and want to get that in.. I've had a LOT of pressure in the gas tank and I'd rather get that resolved. Weather forecast last night showed howling winds for the Coachella Valley. Next time perhaps.

Fun times and weather was nice. Too bad my son had to work.

20201127_172639.jpg

20201127_172622.jpg

20201127_172601.jpg

I was there, then I wasn't:censor:

Drove out Fri AM, arrived @ 3p. Took an hour to find spot via google (was within 100ft, but did not see the club sign/no cruisers seen). Camp was empty as crew was likely exploring.

Hung for 30m for a refreshment... got my share of dust/noise from infinite side x sides zooming this way and that. Decided to bail due to the "dust to glory" environment.

Never been out on a big off-road weekend until now. Coulda/woulda/shoulda known.

Man, there is a lot of $$$$$ in socal, at least out there.

Ugh! My Friday was somewhat more successful. New JDM charcoal cannister.
20201127_164141.jpg

I was there, then I wasn’t

Sorry that you drove out there for nothing... l guess that I should have been more clear that it is an off road vehicle park so it is not that peaceful. We had a club sign along the road coming in but maybe you came in from a different direction. We got back about half hour after you left and saw your note.

I thought it was a pretty good weekend. Camp could have been a little better but at least we did not have anyone too close and it got quiet later in the evening. We got in a couple of scenic runs and some good four wheeling. I will post some photos this week.

0C49E423-815F-466A-8846-72F778B2361C.jpeg
5326F942-389A-4917-B97A-CD97F6037245.jpeg

Last edited:
I did see the sign, but not immediately as i came i from the wash just to the north (by like 20 yds).

Trip wasn't waisted as it was relaxing & scenic (took 76 from the coast.

Win some/loose some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom