Truckhaven Hills, So. Ca. Thanksgiving weekend (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.socallandcruisers.com
The So. Ca. TLCA club is having its annual Thanksgiving run at the Truckhaven Hills and anyone who is interested in joining us is welcome. The Truckhaven Hills are located on the western side of the Salton Sea and consist of “badlands” type desert topography. The trails can be steep and twisty but there are usually ways around the more difficult sections so it is a great place for both stock and highly modified rigs.

I am not sure how big our group will be this year but I understand that both Beach and Toy's and Trailcrew will also be out there, so maybe we can get the club's together for a run. This is not an organized run and you do not have to join the club to attend. If you are interested, e-mail me at cwheron@yahoo.com and I’ll give you directions.

Here is a link to a few photo’s that I took at last couple of runs:

2004 run

2003 run

wish I had han earlier heads up...Have a mor accurate location in terms of city it's nearest to or freeway exits?

I went ahead and edited these to include which side of the road they will be camped on:

I'm assuming they will camp around where Tierra Del Sol does their big event. It is just north of S22 and west of the Salton Sea near Truckhaven.

From LA, The OC, Inland Empire, Palm Springs and other locals west, take Interstate 10 to Indio, then exit on "86s" heading south. Continue for approximately 32 miles to North Marina Drive (just north of S-22).

From San Diego take Highway 78 to Highway 86. Take 86 north about 15 miles to North Marina Drive. Alternatively, Interstate 8 to Highway 86 could be used.

At the intersection of 86 and North Marina there is some new home construction and signs indicating such. There are green road signs indicating the intersection as you approach it. Look for them.

From Highway 86 go east on North Marina Drive and follow it past the housing developments. It will become a dirt road and go through some camp areas near Truckhaven. It will go over a small hill and go around the right side of the hill to the opposite side and they will be camped there. Look for their banner and RV.

Nearest Gas/Store/Restaurants are Near Super Burger at 86 and S22 at N33 16.833 W115 57.707. That gas is an independent station with a small store. Super Burger offers burgers, fries and such.

Try google maps for Truckhaven to get an idea where it is.

Last edited:
Join you guys Saturday morning before your runs? Are you camping out Saturday evening?

dates?

e9999 said:

Might want to check the title of this post???

I'll save ya the time that would be Nov 26 -27...

sorry, I meant specific days and times, as in "getting there on Friday night or saturday at noon" etc...

Sorry about the late post... Most of the group plans to get out there Friday. My guess is that mid-morning will be the earliest anyone shows up. I probably will not get there until about 1:00. We usually set up camp on Friday and then do an easy night run. Our main run is Saturday and we usually leave camp around 9:30 and return mid to late afternoon. There is no set plan though.

Calamaridog gave good directions except when you are on the dirt road and get to the hill, go around the right side of the hill to the opposite side and we are usually camped there. Look for a motorhome with a "So Ca TLCA" banner. Also, there is no water or other facilities at the camp so bring everything that you would need. Hope to see you there!

I wish I wasn't going out of town for Turkey day. It sounds like you all will have a great time.

Glad my directions were OK;)

is the camp reachable with a non-off-road popup trailer with minuscule tires and essentially no suspension nor ground clearance :rolleyes: ?

Otis said:
I am sure that you could make it out from LN with plenty of time to meet us Saturday morning. We are camping Saturday night...

From the directions, sounds like if I left Laguna Niguel around 6, I'd have plenty of time to get there.

95% sure I'll come, maybe with son in tow this time.

Drop me a pm with your cell, if they work and what CB channel you guys will be using. I'll confirm early next week with you.

Brentbba said:
From the directions, sounds like if I left Laguna Niguel around 6, I'd have plenty of time to get there.

95% sure I'll come, maybe with son in tow this time.

Drop me a pm with your cell, if they work and what CB channel you guys will be using. I'll confirm early next week with you.

You should have no trouble getting there in time if you left at 6:00. We will be on CB channel 4. PM sent with contact info.

e9999 said:
is the camp reachable with a non-off-road popup trailer with minuscule tires and essentially no suspension nor ground clearance :rolleyes: ?
I think you should be able to get the trailer in without a problem. Many people bring in huge RV's without any problem. One of the guys in the club used to bring in a pop up trailer. There is only one dip in the road that I can think of that could be a problem with low clearance, but the motorhomes always seem to get through.

East or West on Marina? From the map - east would take you toward Salton Sea? S/B West into Anza Borrego???

Actually, a bunch of us will be getting out there Wednesday evening, and will be staying until Sunday. Yes, there will be quite a large bunch out there this year. The weather should be nice (no rain), and with any luck, the winds won't bother us this year.
:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

Vortec_Cruiser said:
Actually, a bunch of us will be getting out there Wednesday evening, and will be staying until Sunday. Yes, there will be quite a large bunch out there this year. The weather should be nice (no rain), and with any luck, the winds won't bother us this year.
:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

Ed,

Are you meeting people from Trail Crew? Are you planning to set up camp in the usual spot?

Chris

Otis said:
Ed,

Are you meeting people from Trail Crew? Are you planning to set up camp in the usual spot?

Chris
Hi, Chris.

I haven't recently been in touch with the Trail Crew guys, so I don't know which, if any, of them will be there. I know some of them are going to the Hammers for Turkey weekend.

The people I was referring to are those whom I wheel with locally. We will be in the same spot, and I will rope off a large area.

Chris - thx for the wonderful time. Sorry there were so few of us. Will try to carve out time to get my pics done this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom