Truck will not start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyvp

SILVER Star
Threads
The truck will crank, but not start.
I’m using the manual and jumpered the fuel pump.
The +B and FP, I don’t actually hear anything happen. The ignition switch is on then I jumper it.

I should hear the pump click on correct?

A little more info would go along way to someone helping. What year is your truck? Does the CEL come on when the key is the ACC ON position. Did this just happen out of the blue or have you had some maintenance performed recently.....

Last edited:
Truck is a 92 With a 3FE.
It’s pretty new to us. So don’t know a lot about it’s history. No maintenance before hand. He did take it off-road and got stuck. Someone pulled him out and he drove to their house (Maybe 2 miles away). He stopped the truck and it didn’t start back.

EFI fuses are good (all 3)

check engine light is not on. At least a light that looks like an engine didn’t come on. I’m not for sure what this trucks CEL looks like to be honest, and I left the book in the truck where it is parked.

Look for the 'check engine light' with the key in the 'on' position, but not running. (It shouldn't come on in the 'ACC' position.) If you don't have a CEL, you don't have power to the ignition. That's commonly caused by a bad connection in the fusible link (wires coming off of the positive post of the battery), but could be in other places.

Last edited:
Hi, If check engine light is not on ,it won’t start. Look a efi under hood and fuseable links at the battery. Mike

I just watched a video to find the CEL and I don’t remember seeing that light. I’ll check again tomorrow when I can get back to the trucks location.
Can you bypass the link?

I just watched a video to find the CEL and I don’t remember seeing that light. I’ll check again tomorrow when I can get back to the trucks location.
Can you bypass the link?
Sure. Not sure on the earlier trucks, the later ones have 3 wires. I have replaced them individually with standard wire of a similar gauge temporarily. Sometimes you can strip back the insulation and twist the wire ends together.

You can easily test the links with a multimeter or test light, or have someone watch the dash while you mess with the links, commonly they are broken inside the insulation and pushing them together will complete the connection momentarily. Or you may find that one of them is melted, which is how they're supposed to work in case of a short. If so, find the short before replacing the fusible link with a wire, or risk a fire or other electrical damage.

FADF22E9-59DF-4E72-93D7-58AA5B85A180.jpeg

8568CECA-8CD9-4CB9-B5BA-3543DA657C82.jpeg

A1F508E3-31C0-450C-A494-ED9E2CC2ADEE.jpeg

fusible link looks like it has been cut apart and put back together. At least 2 wires were like that.
Looks like I’ll make a few new ones to get me home, and order some from wits end today.

I know nothings of the '91 and '92 80 series dash lights. Does a CEL even exist in those years?

@jonheld has got some great info on his page. I'm going through it now.
This links looked to have been sliced together at some time. They are RUFF.

Look for the 'check engine light' with the key in the 'on' position, but not running. (It shouldn't come on in the 'ACC' position.) If you don't have a CEL, you don't have power to the ignition. That's commonly caused by a bad connection in the fusible link (wires coming off of the positive post of the battery), but could be in other places.
Good catch. I updated my post for clarity..

Anyone know what the hose is in the blue circle? Ours looks ruff. Im going to replace that and a bunch of vacuum tube i noticed was cracking.

1601307443790.png

Anyone know what the hose is in the blue circle? Ours looks ruff. Im going to replace that and a bunch of vacuum tube i noticed was cracking.
Part of the fuel evap system. Replacement hose part# 95333-06020.
Will not prevent the engine from starting.
With no CEL with the key in the ON/RUN position, this engine will not run.

Part of the fuel evap system. Replacement hose part# 95333-06020.
Will not prevent the engine from starting.
With no CEL with the key in the ON/RUN position, this engine will not run.

oh i didnt think it was the problem, i just figured that cracked hose maybe the NEXT problem....... I need to find all those hoses and replace them.

Im at the truck now. I replaced sections of wire on the link and still no CEL.
How do you test sections of the link?

Im at the truck now. I replaced sections of wire on the link and still no CEL.
How do you test sections of the link?
Here is a cursory check of all 3 fusible links in system:
This assumes a stock configuration.

Dome lights working?
Brake lights working?
When you turn the key to ON does the CHARGE LAMP light up?

If yes to all 3, then all 3 fusible links are intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom