Truck Stuck In Park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my 97 is stuck in park. I've checked the brake fuses which are good. Then the trailer wiring harness started to smoke right at the end. Is there any quick fix to the wires so I can get home? Nor do I feel like ripping apart my slee rear bumper. Any input would be great! Thanks!

Yes I know about the shift lock, but if the car is on the trailer wiring harness will continue to burn should I just wrap electrical tape around it and call it good?

Yes I know about the shift lock, but if the car is on the trailer wiring harness will continue to burn should I just wrap electrical tape around it and call it good?

Remove the trailer harness from the main harness in the RR fender. The trailer harness has failed and needs to be replaced. Do this before your truck burns to the ground. It SHOULD be plug and play on both sides. The factory ones are known to fail like this over time.

You can buy a replacement from eTrailer.com or just not install it unless you NEED it.

Remove the trailer harness from the main harness in the RR fender. The trailer harness has failed and needs to be replaced. Do this before your truck burns to the ground. It SHOULD be plug and play on both sides. The factory ones are known to fail like this over time.an buy a replacement from eTrailer.com or just not install it unless you NEED it.

Am I able to get to the main harness from the inside?

Am I able to get to the main harness from the inside?
Yes.
Drop the RR seat (3rd row) down or remove it.
Remove the plastic cover and glove box cover on RR interior.
Inside there, you will find a rectangular box about 3" x 4" velcro'd or glued to the inside of the fender. This is the harness you need to remove. Find the plug on both sides there, unplug the trailer harness out of it, then plug the two halves of the main harness together and should solve the problem.

Yes.
Drop the RR seat (3rd row) down or remove it.
Remove the plastic cover and glove box cover on RR interior.
Inside there, you will find a rectangular box about 3" x 4" velcro'd or glued to the inside of the fender. This is the harness you need to remove. Find the plug on both sides there, unplug the trailer harness out of it, then plug the two halves of the main harness together and should solve the problem.

Sorry don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Real noob...

It's a black plastic box, the size of a cigarette pack. Mine is under the body, tucked into the corner of the frame.

Sorry don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Real noob...
Mine was stuck to the black rectangular patch on the sidewall.

Like @Malleus states, about the size of a cigarette package.

I guess look under the truck on RR. See if it's under the fender or above the spare.

Or maybe dig down inside the fender there to see if it's buried down below.

Here’s what it looks like in mine...

1013AF9C-F738-4734-824A-03883560103A.jpeg

73C1F764-4E3C-4E47-A53F-AFF57F11A6F1.jpeg

Do a search on the 80 forum for "trailer harness" and you'll see a number of threads on this subject. You can buy aftermarket harnesses. I looked for pics of it, but they mostly show the aftermarket version.

I think mine was taped up high. There's also a wire that is probably run under the carpet near the metal flashing below the tailgate. It connects to the left side, maybe the turn signal?

Be sure to smash that thing to bits with a hammer while cursing port-installed accessories.

Most of this wiring is also visible/accessable thru the right rear tail light position. It is a bit easier to get a good view from there. BTDT!!

All else fails, start at the exterior plug and follow the wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom