truck still rolls when you put it in park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
I had my 3:11 low range gears install buy the local gear shop [American Gear I recently had them install 5.29 gears front & rear with no problems] They have it back together and the say all the gears work but when you put it in park the truck will still roll. It seem odd as park should be in the transmission and not the transfer case. They call to see if it had this issue before and I assured them it did not. They seem to be baffled by this. If any of the gurus could shed some light on this or give some pointers it would be greatly appreciate. Or could it just be a freak thing that it went out at the same time they were working on it.

THANKS

Last edited:
Im thinking it must have something to do with VC.

I wonder if the T-case isn't fully in gear if it will still roll and this is your problem. I've never tried this so I'm not a 100%.

Either t case is in neutral or they bungled it. I wouldnt trust your shop if they cant figure this out. Geez.[/QUOTE]

At this point its not a matter of trust its a matter of making it work. If you read the post it works in high & low so the T case is not in neutral. If the shop was dishonest they would have tried to pass it off as transmission problem and not the T case

What year/model is your 80? Are both driveshafts installed?

Its a 94 and no the front driveshaft is out but I have the center lock stitch installed and use it to drive in high while the driveshaft is being rebuilt

If the transfer case is locked it should not roll with the transmission in Park due to the front driveshaft being missing; it will roll if the transfer case is not locked in that situation. Does it matter (roll or not) when in Park with the engine On or Off or both?

I would have to check no monday when they open

If the transfer case is not actually locking that could explain it, do you see two orange lights on the left lower instrument cluster, ABS and DIFF LOCK, with the vehicle running?

ITS locked the front driveshaft is out and it drives.

I thank everybody for there input keep the ideas coming

ITS locked the front driveshaft is out and it drives.
Have you driven it yourself or just going on what they say? It will move around under the power of the vc coupling. I suspect they still bungled the reassembly or didnt connect the cdl as others suggested.

Just going no what they said. That good info it will move with the front DS out and CDL unlocked ? I did not think so.

Just going no what they said. That good info it will move with the front DS out and CDL unlocked ? I did not think so.
With the tcase unlocked, the truck will move without both driveshafts installed.

Yes. Through a limited slip mechanism called a viscous coupler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom