Truck sat for about 8 years, spongy (4 runner caliper) brakes, going back to original setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 1983 60 did not run for about 8 years and finally got it going and enjoying it again... brakes were terrible at first start, changed bad rear wheel cylinders, adjusted rear brakes and bled the fluid several times because pedal would go all the way to the floor. I finally got the air bubbles out (I think) and brake pedal feels a lot better but still spongy, pulls right and wobbles like crazy when braking at high speeds. I had done the 4 runner caliper/mc upgrade about 10 years ago... I have been reading that 4 runner upgrade does not improve anything and I don’t want to spend the $$ for the tundra upgrade since I would bigger than 15” wheels, more $$. I am thinking of going back to the FJ60 calipers and master cylinder unless there’s a better option that does not involve changing wheels?? Any suggestions? I occasionally might pull an off road trailer or my fishing boat

Did you flush all your old fluid out completely? 10 year old fluid is no good. Also you might try pulling the front calipers one at a time, make sure the pads move freely and collapse the piston. Then put the caliper back on the rotor and press the brake pedal to exercise the pistons.

bigger calipers and a MC are not a upgrade when they're still grabbing a stock rotor

Did you flush all your old fluid out completely? 10 year old fluid is no good. Also you might try pulling the front calipers one at a time, make sure the pads move freely and collapse the piston. Then put the caliper back on the rotor and press the brake pedal to exercise the pistons.

@Seth S yes, fluid was flush out for new. I think the right side caliper is sticking...

bigger calipers and a MC are not a upgrade when they're still grabbing a stock rotor
@cruisermatt I magree but at the time when I did the swap that was the “in” thing to do. That is why I am going back to stock configuration

Hey @meatloaf

I agree with your thoughts about returning it to original. If you get the factory 60 brakes working properly they do a good job on 33” tires.

After sitting 10 years I’d recommend swapping the master 100%. These don’t seem to flush well in my experience.

Thanks Cody @cwwfj60 !

I am going to order calipers, master, rotors and pads today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom