1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck pulling to the right mystery solved!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by LandyLover, Aug 23, 2006.

1. LandyLover

LandyLover

My truck has progressively gotten worse over the past weeks as it pulled towards the right. Searches in this forum did not reveal the cause of my problem.... I was sure it was an alignment problem because my passenger tire was wearing unevenly and my brakes were not dragging. But I was a bit puzzled because the tie rod ends appeared tight when I jacked it up, and there was no left to right slop between the wheels when I moved them by hand. But alas, a simple wheel bearing was the culprit. The outer bearings were worn bad enough that a drag was resulting.

Im sure that added weight on the front of the cruiser invited accelerated wear but Im a bit surprised this happened. Ive never experienced this before on anything Ive owned. For the cost of new bearings, just change them to avoid a hassle and possible catastrophic failure.

Cheers.

2. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Sounds like an improper repack was done to me. These bearings are way over spec'd for a vehicle of this weight, and a winch would be no issue at all. That the other front bearing is fine is worth noting.

DougM

3. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I have come to this conclusion as well. A new set of bearings every 3-4 years doesn't break the bank and it means to don't have to clean the old ones out. Then you know you are installing good bearings. In 8 years, I have had 2 front wheel bearings go bad, one on my FJ60 (@ 180k miles) and one on my 80 series (@ 90k miles).

I have had good service from the Timkin bearings(best price at AutoZone), and I am running a set of Koyos from Cruiserdan in my FJ60.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">