"Truck or Wagon ??" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious but......why do I so often hear people keep calling the FJ55 Station Wagon a truck?? I personally don't own a "truck" (sold my last two over a year ago), I own a Station Wagon, actually consider it a "predecessor" to the modern "SUV". Just had to get that off my chest. Thanks. Larry

I say truck a lot as people rarely know what the hell I'm talking about when I say I go get my wagon, or my `car' or the likes, and they're are just deer in headlights when I say I'm getting my `rig' or `Cruiser.'

If the US DOT considers the PT Cruiser to be a "light truck", then our rigs had
darn well better be considered light trucks as well.
It has something to do with a set of criteria, and matching 3 of them, or
something like that. Can't remember offhand, but it was in an issue of
4Wheeler or Peterson's recently. If you have a flat cargo bed, minimum
aproach and departure angles, payload and something else, then you are
a "light truck".

What does your title say? My fj40 says 2dsw (2 door station wagon) and my 60 and 45 both say 4dsw (4 door station wagon). Now while I understand your personal frustration with the "truck" "wagon" thing, you should be grateful that 99% of the population doesn't refer to your rig as a JEEP. I call my 40 the cruiser, my rig , my truck and/or that pile of s***. All of them fit it properly and none would offend me to hear someone else call it that. The 60 isn't yet in service so I haven't started calling it anything yet and the 45 is most commonly reffered to as that burned out wreck in the back yard. I think that it really boils down to personal prefferance. I don't really care what people call my junk as long as it's not HEEP!

Reply to "BMan". No I don't really get offended by someone calling my "Prissy Wagon" a truck. It's sort of like a mosquito bite...just an annoyance. As far as names of it go the best is a friend of mine who has a "Suzuki Samurai". (poor idiot). He calls my wagon a "Tank". Probably because I've had to, in the past 7 weeks, pull his little toy out of (1) a canyon he could'nt get out of and (2) a sandy wash he got stuck in. So yeah I've got a wagon, a truck, a heavy hauler and now a "TANK". I think I like tank. Now that has class to it, eh? Cheers. Larry

i'm perfectly happy to call mine a "station wagon", especially when i'm runnin the same trail as the "hardcore" jeep guy.

short story,,,, one time while running in to bartlett lake via the log corral trail (not real difficult but has some pretty rocky spots at the start) i encountered a heep group who would not let me by so i had to tag along behind them. once we got to the lake i proceeded to unloed my stuff and they were all just looking at me in disbelief that i probly had a more comfy camp in one rig than they had packed between the 5 of them and ran the same trail. one of them walked closer to my camp and remarked how i had this big beast of a rig loaded up and i was alone,, i just told him a landcruiser doesnt need a heard to safely explore the backcountry and i didnt hear a word from them the remainder of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom