truck log book (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to start keeping a log book of service, reminders of things to service (PHH), mods to do, tools to buy, ect...

Anybody got good ideas for keeping a log book?

To date I've never kept good records of any service but now I'm turning over a new leaf. :slap:

R

depends how high tech you want.

could just get a notebook :D
or palmpilot/laptop, or on your home computer
dont know what programs there are, but im pretty sure theres basic logs for things like that in one of the programs that comes with your computer.

hows that for vague? :ban:

I keep service and fuel logs in Excel.

Example:

Good Lord Dan, you have some time on your hands :D

I keep record of mods and my "wish list" in Excel. Wish I had Dan's records, that would be nice. I did that for my old toyota pickup, but I was using it for work and I needed that for taxes.

Keeping good records helps with resale (like any of us are ever going to sell our cruisers ::) ) and it keeps you on top of routine maintenance. Good habit to start!

I am a Palm junkie. I love having an encylopedic amount of information in my pocket all the time.

I have several different notes in a separate Cruiser category:

-MPG - simple log of mpg - I work the mpg out using the calculator on the Palm right when I fill up, with the odometer in front of me, and then record date, mileage, mpg, type of gas (ex: Mobil 89)

- Part #'s - a list of often used part numbers so I have them handy (oil filters, wiper blades, etc)

-Service Log - date, mileage, service, cost

-To Do List - I used to keep a Cruiser category in the main Palm to do list, but it doesn't change often enough to make that worthwhile

-Shopping List, linked to my main shopping list

I can update either on the Palm or at the computer and then sync, and I have the data in my pocket all the time.

K.I.S.S. I just have a little 2"x3" spiral note pad and pen in each 'Cruiser that gets updated with all maintenance and/or mods. It looks like this:

Date -- Mileage -- Maintenance/Mod detail (don't need a location since I do it all :D)

Yes, I'm a Palm junkie too, but haven't had time to track down any cool programs to manage all this stuff in one place on my Palm m505. Someday...

Jody.

i don't keep track of service because i do it all (unless you wanna pay for it) and it have set times that i do everything, but i do keep a ledger (simple ledger book from walmart) on all the parts i've bought with location of where and invoice number if that might be important later on.

I am going to start a log book to keep track of my wheeling trips and miles traveled to attend them. For the last 3 summers, I have wheeled extensively and I think it would be fun to note how many miles traveled to attend, how many miles wheeled and how much fuel.

My gas card looks like a CA geography lesson. 8)

My maintenance/upgrade log is similar to C-Dan's mileage/cost log except I don't track fuel.

Mine is in Excel and has a column for the "cost" of the maintenance/upgrade. Never, never, never do a Sum on the cost column.

-B-

I keep an excel spreadsheet on my home computer of all cruiser-related expenditures that are not paid with cash. This is really cause all the money I make goes to my dads account, and then I just keep a running tab of what I spend. Its cruiser-only, because I have yet to spend a cent of my summer job money on anything but my cruiser. :D

I use a log thingy I got free from ImParts a few decades ago. Just track What, When (miles/date) and the products I used or some notes about the service. Simple and can be updated along a road trip as it stays in the glovebox.

IdahoDoug

I agree with outback, spiral note book 2"x3" has been with me for years now. I liked the palm I had, till it puked, but I still had my notebooks, so no biggie. And I have backups for the notebooks too! :D

CruiserDan, for some reason I could not view either the link or sample of your spreadsheet for the maintanance log. Can you please re-post? Thanks!

Auggies'Blu said:
CruiserDan, for some reason I could not view either the link or sample of your spreadsheet for the maintanance log. Can you please re-post? Thanks!
Ditto............tried to open it but notin :flipoff2:

I have two log type things. Keep both in the glovebox, they are both just print offs from Excel just showing date, mileage, interval mileage, action done. I have one dedicated for tires, just to show when (and what order) I rotate them (not always the same order as when they get down, I measure them all each time and put the lowest as the spare). The other log is for oil changes, starter stuff, radiator flush, etc. I have some info in Excel that it prints on the sheet, the rest I just keep adding to then go back in and add them to Excel, so next time I print, everything is printed up to date and then from then on it's hand written again. Very simple, but take no time really at all.

I never keep track of gas mileage or anything like that, never cared to. I keep mental notes of how many miles per tank, how much did I put in, but unless it's way off I never write it down.

I know others are very analytical about that keeping receipts from every fillup since they've owned their Cruiser...but you know what they say, you can't spell analytical without ANAL. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom