Truck engine oil bad for small engines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Is it true that truck engine oils are bad for engines passenger car diesel engines such as the 1HZ and 2L?

Mobil Delvac

Mobil Delvac: Commercial Oil & Heavy Duty Lubricants | ExxonMobil

and Castrol RX

Castrol Australia - Diesel Engine Oils

are both sold as heavy duty truck engine oils.

I contacted the Mobil customer support and asked if their heavy duty engine oils can be used in passenger car diesel engines incl the 4,2 litre 1HZ. They reply that I should strongly avoid heavy duty engine oils because truck engines are operated differently than passenger car diesels. I have a hard time believing that.

What is your opinion? Is it true that one should avoid heavy duty truck engine oil in our "small" Toyota diesels? Anyone with positive or negative experiences? Does anyone have a truly technical explanation or is it just commercial talk?

PS: I understand that Castrol RX is sold primarily in Oceania only and Mobil Delvac in America. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lucas

I'm a diesel mechanic (for cummins) and I have always used the oil from that I get from work and I've never had a problem. I did use Valvoline but I have found that Castrol RX Super is the way to go, I use this oil all the time on every engine now. It just depends on what grade of oil you want to use.

I'm a diesel mechanic (for cummins) and I have always used the oil from that I get from work and I've never had a problem. I did use Valvoline but I have found that Castrol RX Super is the way to go, I use this oil all the time on every engine now. It just depends on what grade of oil you want to use.

What proofs do you have that Castrol RX is better? That would really interest me :)

Lucas

i use rotella 15w40 in the 3L, mercedes 350SDL, BJ42, BJ74, and in the transmission on the RZ350.
main difference between "diesel" crankcase oil (or 4-stroke motorcyle oil) and the others is a higher zinc content. more likely to be harmful in the long run to use "gasser" oil in any size diesel engine.

I used RX once for my 2H. As a lighter oil (15w40) for the winter months.
No issues, but also ran for too short a time (4000kms) to notice any significant changes from my usual and heavier penrite oils (15w50 or 20w60).

BTW, Penrite recommends heavy duty truck oils for landcruiser engines.
Check this out: Oil Recommendations - Penrite Oil
And type in your engine, 1HZ for example.

oil is oil, change it every 5000 km and don't worry about it.
the filter is more important than the oil you use.

of course winter blend is better for winter conditions.

the higher zinc content does make a difference in higher compression engines, like motorcycles. and there is a higher content of detergents in diesel oil to carry away the higher soot levels. apparently, catalytic converters (on gassers) don't do well with extra detergent, etc.

in the long run, it does make a difference. oil designed for gasoline engines aren't necessarily interchangable with the diesel counterparts.

and yes, change your filter with your oil, it's only another $5-$15 (depending on what you got).

I used Valvoline and I was better off putting it in the fuel tank. I'd have to top up the engine every 2000klm, with the castrol fill it up and forget until the next service.

i found the same results with Valvoline, seemed to evaporate.
run Shell Rottella and the level never changed between oil changes...

the higher zinc content does make a difference in higher compression engines, like motorcycles. and there is a higher content of detergents in diesel oil to carry away the higher soot levels. apparently, catalytic converters (on gassers) don't do well with extra detergent, etc.

in the long run, it does make a difference. oil designed for gasoline engines aren't necessarily interchangable with the diesel counterparts.

JASO DH1 rated oil also has a higher calcium content than other diesel oils. Not sure if it makes a big difference with modern diesel oils now. The only dino oils I know of which are available here and have the JASO DH1 rating is Delo 400 and Castrol Tection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom