Truck broken into ... insurance won’t cover OEM glass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LX was broken into last night. Front left window was busted open. My insurance won’t cover OEM glass cost.

Lexus dealer quoted me $450 for just the glass. Based on the description on the front windows, LX windows have a UV protective coating and sound deadening. I would like to retain these features. I assume aftermarket glass would not.

Am I being too particular about replacing with OEM glass or should I go aftermarket? Any tips for negotiating with insurance?

7BB83A30-16E1-4176-A771-EEDBE0D00629.jpeg
6856557E-CD1E-4298-AEBA-525757BCB557.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: GTV
What is the cost delta?

Instinct leads me to say you can try and fight the insurance company to cover the OEM glass, but what is your time and emotional bandwidth worth to you?

If the cost delta is not going to cause you to eat Ramen (haha, notice the correct spelling) noodles for months, then you may want to consider paying the delta and then finding a better insurance carrier. You'll probably end up losing less sleep in the long run.

Had a similar issue but with windshield. Insurance would not cover since these vehicles are too old. You can either pay or go with after market.

never checked on the glass, our policy specifies OEM parts for replacement in a wreck.
second question would be what is your deductible? it could be a wash anyway, any other damage?

After a lot of back and forth and time spent on hold ... insurance will pay out $301. Glass is $450 labor is $200 so $650 all in. $350 out of pocket.

The parts guy at Lexus dealer advised there were only two drivers side windows available in the US as of today.

Last edited:
Full disclosure on my insurance. I have State Farm. I’ve been told by multiple body shops and the glass shop I contacted for this repair that they typically pay out more than other insurers.

Chalk it up to Sedition Day bad luck for you. If I were you, pay the delta. State Farm is good, one of the best I've used in the past. Put it behind you and sleep well going forward.

You can buy a used LX driver glass for 1/2 of the pay out and pocket the rest.

Well, if you have an enclosed garage (buy time) and can do the work yourself, I'd just take the payout. You can buy new OE glass elsewhere for around $300. Or... used.... Lexus LX470 04-07 / Front Driver Door Window Glass 68102-60311 OEM | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LX470-04-07-Front-Driver-Door-Window-Glass-68102-60311-OEM/143626117456?epid=1811236320&hash=item2170c8a150:g:ewEAAOSwj3NexvQl
I’m an avid eBayer, but did not think to look for used auto glass on eBay. I wonder how they package it for shipping? I guess the glass is pretty strong unless it is subject to a concentrated point of force.

This is likely the route I’ll be going. I’m assuming to hold the glass inserting the glass into the window channel and adding a couple of strips of duct tape over the top of window frame will hold it in place for install?

I’m an avid eBayer, but did not think to look for used auto glass on eBay. I wonder how they package it for shipping? I guess the glass is pretty strong unless it is subject to a concentrated point of force.

This is likely the route I’ll be going. I’m assuming to hold the glass inserting the glass into the window channel and adding a couple of strips of duct tape over the top of window frame will hold it in place for install?
check this out
I bought from this seller before

My LX was broken into last night. Front left window was busted open. My insurance won’t cover OEM glass cost.

Lexus dealer quoted me $450 for just the glass. Based on the description on the front windows, LX windows have a UV protective coating and sound deadening. I would like to retain these features. I assume aftermarket glass would not.

Am I being too particular about replacing with OEM glass or should I go aftermarket? Any tips for negotiating with insurance?

View attachment 2546150View attachment 2546151

I would not allow non-OEM glass. Stand firm, but polite with insurance. It's generally negotiable, just depends if you're willing to argue long enough for them to cave. My Allstate policy flat out states OEM parts *SHALL* be used in the event the client declines aftermarket parts. My adjuster balked at that at first, but then agreed to cover OEM windshield glass, moldings and body work.

Insurance is a negotiation unless they have something clearly stated in your policy that states they can use non-OEM parts for repairs. I would be shocked if non-OEM safety parts (I'll argue glass is a safety item here) were written into your policy.

Fight it.

New OEM or bust, IMO. I wouldn't waste my time with used unless it's local and convenient and coming out of a similar era LX470.

Insurance should cover this.

I'd push for new OE glass, but be willing to accept used OE glass from a similar year LX.

I'd personally pay out of pocket for new OE glass, before I let insurance have aftermarket glass installed.

I'd push for OE glass as well.
Depending on your policy you may have the glass coverage where it should be NO out of pocket. I have this on both our vehicles and the cost is like an extra $5 a month.
You get to pick installer and everything.

Regardless I would contact your agent directly, the owning agent of the office and talk with them.

I'd push for OE glass as well.
Depending on your policy you may have the glass coverage where it should be NO out of pocket. I have this on both our vehicles and the cost is like an extra $5 a month.
You get to pick installer and everything.

Regardless I would contact your agent directly, the owning agent of the office and talk with them.

Glass policy is very state dependent. I've lived in quite a few states, and sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. Luckily NV has a great glass policy on auto insurance policies.

Definitely agree that OEM glass is the only way to go. Keep talking to insurance and get it done, or just pay the delta and be done with it.

You can ask your insurance to send out an independent adjuster to estimate the costs to repair. I've done that when the insurance low balled me and the independent adjuster verified what the local shops quoted., It took quite a while to get the insurance to send them, but it was worth it. It's the last thing they want to do. Just my $.02.

How many manufacturers of automotive glass are there?

Is there a logical reason everyone demands OEM glass, or is it just because 'I need OEM on my truck'? Honestly wondering.

Full disclosure on my insurance. I have State Farm. I’ve been told by multiple body shops and the glass shop I contacted for this repair that they typically pay out more than other insurers.

Had to stand firm with my insurance agent (allstate) and with help from the auto body shop got them to consider that on the LX the glass has a slight Bronze tint to it and nothing else would match. That did it. They paid for OEM.

How many manufacturers of automotive glass are there?

Is there a logical reason everyone demands OEM glass, or is it just because 'I need OEM on my truck'? Honestly wondering.
I'm restoring a 91 Supra. Bought aftermarket glass because oem is discontinued. The aftermarket is such an obvious mismatch I won't put it in my car. Weird tint color, hardware has minor slop to it. It's sitting outside in the gravel beside my garage. Never been installed.

Glass is not glass. All auto glass has a "hue" to it. And thickness. And mounting interfaces. Not to mention optical quality. Oem is damn near perfect every time for this stuff. Aftermarket can be very good or so bad you refuse to install it. Complete gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom