Trouble with the Guy Next Door

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by MJM, Jul 28, 2005.

1. MJM

MJM SILVER Star

Just needed to put this one out there, so I have lived on Lake Erie for 3 years now my back yard is the water. This spring I felt it was time to put up a fence for a little summer time privacy for me the wifey well I spent the money for the survey and paid for all of the permits spending nearly 1k. The guy next door who has lived there for 25 years decides to put his house of for sale, so I think great now is the time to put up the fence and not piss him off. You see the houses are close together and over the years both neighbors have been moving in on what is now my property. I had to remove 4 feet of fence b/c that neighbor had put his on my land and the other guy lets call him Glen had bushes/dying shrubs that were extended well onto my land. I did what I thought was right and removed his shrubs with his permission and then the day after he moved my 6ft. fence went up. I saw the guy Glen today who was always freindly told me that he would have sold his house if it was not for my F"ing fence and why would I choose to F him over by doing that . I simply turned around and walked away. Some people just piss me off he now believes he has not sold his POS overpriced house b/c of the fence. I am considering telling him for 5K I will remove a couple of sections to improve his view.
    MJM

2. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

No thoughts .. sorry.

Question though: Do they still have that ferry across to Crystal Beach? I used to kayak there in the late 80's before they ripped out the wooden roller coaster and put up a gated neighbourhood. :rolleyes:

Nice area .. post some pics of your view if you have any.

TY :cheers:

3. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    F' em....

your not responsible for selling his house...

4. Jman

Jman

Can you wheel in your own back yard? :idea:

5. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    lots of if-and-or-buts could come out of what you posted.

most of this should of been addressed by the surveyor. (IF you had a boundary survey)

Is this in a subdivision, how old is the subdivision, how long have you owned the property compared to your neighbors, how many years did the encroaching fence sit on your property, did you maintain the area behind the encroaching fence, did your neighbor maintain the bushes that were on your property, did you ever talk to your neighbors about their encroaching on your property, were all your property markers found during the survey, did you record the new survey, is there a sight easement called out in the restrictive covenants for the subdivision, did your neighbors make any remarks about the property corners or the new survey, did your lot grow or shrink on the new survey, in the restrictive covenants does it call out the type of fence you can use or how tall it can be,......and on and on and on

6. wob

wob

Six feet is pretty tall for a fence, especially on the waterfront.

7. MJM

MJM SILVER Star

A boundry Survery was completed by state certified people that was a must to get the proper permits. I knew I would potentially have trouble so I wanted to cover my arse with the city. Not in a Subdivion it is an area of older beach summer houses some are new some are old mine is from 62. I have had no issues with how they had been encroaching and all agreed that bushes/fence could be moved thankfully. In fact one neighbor likes it b/c he now has some more privacy. IN the past if I sat on my back porch I would be looking into both of there sunrooms and they would see me and what I was doing. He is just be a d head now that his overpiced house will not sell FYI his is smaller than mine and he is asking 30% more than what I paid 3 years ago. Keep in mind this is Ohio and property values have not been increasing along with the rest of US.

No Ferry yet from Cleveland to Canada but one is in the works at night we can see the glow of London Ont. and a few other citites. The lake is 70 miles wide from my little beach to Canada. My best neighbors are the Canadians to the north they never complain.
    MJM
    Pics are a typical summer lake Erie Sunset and some boat being towed.

8. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I grew up in Niagara .. so this isn't tooooo far off. I miss the lower lakes sometimes. But hard to replace the majestic majesty of Lake Superior.

TY

9. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    don't sweat it, and do not talk to the disgruntled neighbor. You got what you needed, the bushes moved with his knowledge and agreement. If there are not restrictive covenants, and the city/town signed off on the fence, you are done, drink a beer.

is that a coast guard boat? and can you have a dock?

fyi, surveyors are licensed.

10. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    If you blocked his view of the water or put up an unsightly chain link fence I could understand why he would not be happy. As a property owner it is your right to put up a fence with the proper permits so f him, you were nice and waited till he left.

11. MJM

MJM SILVER Star

Thanks for ideas

No Dock the waves would kill anything down there this is an old pix of the breakwall some days those concrete things are covered in sand some days it is water. The boat is 3 miles away in a harbor. The one thing Lake Erie is famous for is quick storms the lake can go from flat calm to 6 footers in less than 10 min. We do get a chance to see some great storms over the water.

Re: Blocking his view
    I pulled out the old bushes that blocked his window so he had about 2 weeks of a great view and then I shut down that view with a nice shadow box wood fence. It would be like giving a kid candy then taking it away. My plan was to put it up after he moved so the new owners would not know anything else.

The pic is a Tow boat pulling some person back to the marina that broke down outside of our house. Usually we see this a couple times a year this year the same jet ski has broken down 3 times while I was eating dinner. I helped him once and has yet to ask again.

12. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

do what you want....its your land. tell him to piss off. he's moving anyways you don't need to be friends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.