Trouble with starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For a couple of months now we've been having an issue with starting. Took it into our mechanic and they said it was just a loose battery cable and not the starter. They fixed the cable, but still having the issue. Basically it sounds like it's dragging when trying to start and sometimes it can take 30 to 60 seconds to actually start. Once warmed up we don't have as much of an issue it seems. Caught a video of it here. I'm sure this could be several things, but wondered if anyone had heard this before and had any thoughts. Thanks so much -

Sounds like a battery to me. A bad battery connection can cause a battery to die prematurely. That's my guess.

Welcome to MUD!

A few things, friendly FYI's...

This is a group of rather dedicated folks mostly trying to complete their own work on their rigs. Definitely some experts that have great attitudes and willingness to share their knowledge here on MUD. (I'm not one of those experts, but I am trying to learn!) Posting info about your LC helps, as there are subtle differences from year to year.
Please keep in mind that this group encourages newcomers to try searching the Forum Posts as well as you are able- there is a TON of good info ready to help. A Factory Service Manual is your very best friend when starting down a "what's wrong with my Cruiser?" path. It has good troubleshooting help sections for every system on the vehicle. Don't waste your time using the Haynes or Chiltons manuals.

You may want to check the fusible links on the battery; this is an easily overlooked and inexpensive item that can cause a multitude of electrical hiccups. If it looks old and worn out, it is. Check your ground straps, too. Assuming a good quality battery? It is hard to diagnose from just a short video clip. Please post back and let us know more about the history of the rig, and any other work that you may have done- it will help us help you.

Cheers!

Mine sounded nearly identical to that. It was very intermittent and mostly happened on a cold start. Then one day it left me stranded in front of some coworkers of mine.

Starter was my culprit.

Battery or fusible link. You can try jumping it and see if it does the same scenario. Sure sounds weak in the video like not enough juice.

Thanks all. The battery is about 2 months old. Bad alternator killed the last one, but I did indeed have a loose negative connection on the battery when I replaced it. Wondering if I've already killed this one. Just tested it and it read 12.90. That's after a 3 hour drive home Sunday night. Going to change out the fusible link this weekend. It's a 93 and has just over 300k miles on it. It's been my girlfriend's for the past 20 years. Minimal maintenance, so trying to do things as we have time, etc. Thanks for all the replies. I know I didn't give much to go on. This community is amazing!

Thanks all. The battery is about 2 months old. Bad alternator killed the last one, but I did indeed have a loose negative connection on the battery when I replaced it. Wondering if I've already killed this one. Just tested it and it read 12.90. That's after a 3 hour drive home Sunday night. Going to change out the fusible link this weekend. It's a 93 and has just over 300k miles on it. It's been my girlfriend's for the past 20 years. Minimal maintenance, so trying to do things as we have time, etc. Thanks for all the replies. I know I didn't give much to go on. This community is amazing!
12.9 volts sounds like a surface charge to me, considering that the highest an automotive battery can be at rest is 12.7 VDC. This is why you need to check it after it has sat all night and the surface charge from the alternator has dissipated.

OK, that was this morning after sitting for 2 days. I have a $20 meter, so maybe it's not as accurate as it should be?
I noticed some weird readings out of mine. Changed the batteries and it came back to give me an accurate reading. May be worth throwing some fresh AAs in there for a minute to check.

OK, Changed out the fusible link and the junction box and the engine started right up. Shut it down and went back to close the hood and realized I had forgotten to close the junction box. I closed it up and tried starting it again and absolutely nothing. Lights on the dashboard are there etc. Thinking maybe I fried something because I hadn't closed the box, I swapped out to another new fusible link and junction box and still nothing. So, either I've done something boneheaded (highly likely) or something else is happening.
Battery is testing at 12.6 currently.

This is beginning to sound like a starter going bad, with the intermittent starting issue. It may be worth pulling it out and getting it tested. Just to verify, does the check engine light come on when you turn the key (but before engaging the starter)?

On another note, have you got the FSM in any format? If not, get one- it has testing procedures & troubleshooting guides to make things easier as you go. What better way to learn about your Cruiser than reading the Service Manual written by the Toyota engineers?
Check the resource section...

Don't give up!
Cheers!

Just to verify, does the check engine light come on when you turn the key (but before engaging the starter)?
Not relevant to the starter circuit.
The motor side of the starter is connected directly to the battery positive terminal.
The logic for the starter circuit is: FL AM1/Fuse AM1/ignition switch/neutral start switch/starter solenoid.

Nothing else effects that circuit.

Not relevant to the starter circuit.
The motor side of the starter is connected directly to the battery positive terminal.
The logic for the starter circuit is: FL AM1/Fuse AM1/ignition switch/neutral start switch/starter solenoid.

Nothing else effects that circuit.
Thank you for the clarification/correction, Jon! I sure appreciate your input.

Want to wrap up this thread. Had a tow truck come out to take it to my mechanic. Driver crawled under the truck and tapped the starter a couple of times with a crowbar. Low and behold the starter worked one last time! Mechanic replaced the starter and it starts like the truck is brand new. Amazing. Thanks for all the help and advice. This community is fantastic.

What brand starter did you have installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom