trouble shooting oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During a recent belt PM project, I saw that there is an slight oil leak coming from somewhere in the front of the engine. I took a couple of poor pics with my cell phone.

Checking around underneath the truck I don't see this leak coming from a hose or either upper or lower oil pan. Its gotta be a gasket.

oilleak3.jpg

oilleak1.jpg

Pump cover seal is a good guess, and it's probably right. But I would suggest learning to trouble-shoot simple things like this.

First clean the area, then see where the oil is coming from. Then follow it to its source and figure out what might cause the leak. Basic, I know, but starting with the simplest, cheapest fix and progressing from there is the best method I know.

Good luck!

Just did it a few months ago and it looked just like that
It could also be your dizzy o-ring

Just did it a few months ago and it looked just like that
It could also be your dizzy o-ring

It is not the dizzy o-ring. Oil Pump cover seal it is.

You are probably right, as others also think the same thing.

I did spend some time cleaning the are and driving the truck afterwards, I have some work ahead of me now.

Pump cover seal is a good guess, and it's probably right. But I would suggest learning to trouble-shoot simple things like this.

First clean the area, then see where the oil is coming from. Then follow it to its source and figure out what might cause the leak. Basic, I know, but starting with the simplest, cheapest fix and progressing from there is the best method I know.

Good luck!

I would replace the crank seal while you have it apart
It is right there and not expensive

One thing that helped me find all my leaks was washing off the oily areas and then taking some digital photos aimed at the possible leak sites, like right after it was dry after washing it off and then after some driving. Once I had the photos on my computer I found it was easy to spot the exact sites that the oil (and PS fluid) was leaking from. Ditto on the oil pump cover and crank seal.

I just did oil pump seal little while ago, looks exact same.
Like other said, I 'd change crank seal at same time. It's little thing, it's worth to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom