Trouble shooting no starts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, did some searching but I'll ask anyway for help...

I've logged about 1000 miles only on my truck since purchasing it back in October. After a tranny rebuild, I've been driving it like crazy and just about every day I discover something new that I need to fix. For the past week, I've had frequent no starts. A buddy showed me the trick of tapping on the starter and that usually gets it going if it doesn't start with just the key.

Before I replace the starter, what are my troubleshooting options to test before doing that? I just replaced the battery cable terminals because they were awful. I've got a good battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Okay, did some searching but I'll ask anyway for help...

I've logged about 1000 miles only on my truck since purchasing it back in October. After a tranny rebuild, I've been driving it like crazy and just about every day I discover something new that I need to fix. For the past week, I've had frequent no starts. A buddy showed me the trick of tapping on the starter and that usually gets it going if it doesn't start with just the key.

Before I replace the starter, what are my troubleshooting options to test before doing that? I just replaced the battery cable terminals because they were awful. I've got a good battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
take off the starter and clean the connections both out and in. there is a thread in here somewhere on how to do it

I haven't had a chance to fool with the starter yet, but I tried to crank her again tonight and through the firewall I could hear "ka-klunk, ka-klunk" coming from the starter. Bad news? Or good news b/c it narrows down my problems?

Rebuild your starter...contacts + plunger. Cdan...cheap & easy to accomplish. Good for another 15-20 years.

John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom