Trouble passing smog colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, recently moved to Colorado with my 96 fj80. Took it to get smogged so I could register and it had a CO output reading of 21.3. Because it was only about 5.0 over I just got an oil change and used crc emissions cleaner before refilling with premium gas. Retest got the same results. I've heard that testing after running the engine for a long period of time so its warm can help. A new catalytic converter is going to run me 1500 just for the part. Any advice? Thanks guys

The cat should be no where near $1500, lots of local shops will weld in a universal for you. Lots of CO guys on here, but I'd either start with a solid tune-up, then on to the can, or just do both. Your rig will appreciate the attention either way.

Next time search, yadda yadda. But here you go:

$1500, even for both cats is highway robbery unless you're going to the dealership.

CO is rich. Check for extra fueling. Step one, check the O2 sensor. Clean or replace air filter at the same time. Step 2, MAF, injector and FPR inspections. If your CO2 readings are in the %14-%15 do not waste money on a cat.

Last edited:
Hey all, recently moved to Colorado with my 96 fj80. Took it to get smogged so I could register and it had a CO output reading of 21.3. Because it was only about 5.0 over I just got an oil change and used crc emissions cleaner before refilling with premium gas. Retest got the same results. I've heard that testing after running the engine for a long period of time so its warm can help. A new catalytic converter is going to run me 1500 just for the part. Any advice? Thanks guys
The cat should be no where near $1500, lots of local shops will weld in a universal for you. Lots of CO guys on here, but I'd either start with a solid tune-up, then on to the can, or just do both. Your rig will appreciate the attention either way.
Next time search, yadda yadda. But here you go:

$1500, even for both cats is highway robbery unless you're going to the dealership.

Just found out yesterday Colorado in now a Carb compliant state as of Jan 1 2021, so now all of our local exhaust shops have a TON of oversight and can only install factory replacement exhaust systems. So unfortunately I will now be going out of state to get my exhaust done. I would recommend that as well. A cat install would be like $200 normally. For reference on my last truck I had an entire custom exhaust built for $800. But that was obviously before this carb crap. We and California and a couple others are now the only states doing this :censor:

- Edit I guess you can't get to ghetto with out of state exhaust because you have to pass the visual inspection. I live in a county that doesn't have that stuff so disregard the full exhaust part.

Last edited:
Just found out yesterday Colorado in now a Carb compliant state as of Jan 1 2021, so now all of our local exhaust shops have a TON of oversight and can only install factory replacement exhaust systems. So unfortunately I will now be going out of state to get my exhaust done. I would recommend that as well. A cat install would be like $200 normally. For reference on my last truck I had an entire custom exhaust built for $800. But that was obviously before this carb crap. We and California are now the only states doing this :censor:
If you plan on passing next inspection in CO, I would not recommend this.

Just check your timing. If your timing is advanced you could be running rich. This is the simplest way to potentially bring down your CO levels. Also check the Rising Sun Off-Road Club Forum for additional information that may not be on MUD.

Also when you go back to re-test ask if you can just do an OBDII scan instead of running on the rollers. Some aircare stations will allow you to just do a scan and not do the treadmill test. Good luck!

There are CARB catalytic converters.

Walker-Evans makes an inexpensive universals weld on unit as well.

Just check your timing. If your timing is advanced you could be running rich. This is the simplest way to potentially bring down your CO levels. Also check the Rising Sun Off-Road Club Forum for additional information that may not be on MUD.

Also when you go back to re-test ask if you can just do an OBDII scan instead of running on the rollers. Some aircare stations will allow you to just do a scan and not do the treadmill test. Good luck!

Advanced timing does not create a rich condition. Too much fuel or lack of oxygen supply does.

If you plan on passing next inspection in CO, I would not recommend this.
why not? So long as the cat is there it should be fine. How would the guy doing the emissions know it's not stock or carb compliant?
all colorado has done is started selling these BS carb compliant cats. 90% of the state doesn't even test emissions

why not? So long as the cat is there it should be fine. How would the guy doing the emissions know it's not stock or carb compliant?
all colorado has done is started selling these BS carb compliant cats. 90% of the state doesn't even test emissions
If in a CARB required testing area of CO and they are indeed doing the same as CA, the compliant replacement cats are labeled and then verified against a data base during the inspection. Not correctly labeled and the right application, you fail.

I hate what this state is becoming. Save the world with your 20+ YO tank that spits out as much CO2 as a bus no matter what you do while the guys 40 minutes north of you drives his ATV down the highway and drives 3 diesels with straight exhaust, no mufflers and a 12" exhaust pipe....
Sorry, no tech involved and a senseless rant but I'm shocked I haven't had a CO issue, but do have to put on smaller 4 runner tires and look like a clown for an hour just to get my emissions checked...

Last time I went in, they didn't put me on the rollers due to my 35's and just ran their OBDII scanner 🤷‍♂️

Correct except for Fort Collins which they will roll if you have the part time lockouts. I always did the scan and had exhaust work done and cant get system ready but pass the OBDII test. I have no codes but because of that they wont pass it. yet, if I throw on small tires and roll it a pass with flying colors. Just a POS flawed overthought system that does nothing for anyone... Don't even want to think about the CARB nonsense if that is true. I have yet to hear this. I would like to know how the state/ counties decide this without involving the public. I'm sure they would get a hard BS NO if they did.
Good thing I drive an hour our of the way to get a smog test and pollute the air more... That makes sense lol, that probably half the miles I put on the 80 a year in this state.

I've always wondered why they bother with OBD readiness, codes or visual at all. If the goal is clean emissions, just put the sniffer on the tailpipe and be done with it.

It's simple, politicians being bought off and too many Californian's moving here bring their BS with them.
anyway, to solve this guys problem simply drive to Wyoming to but cats or find a CO native mechanic who doesn't give a s*** LOL. Come get them in Loveland, they tend to be set in their ways here. Or just see post #8 and avoid $48K a day in fines(that must be to cover Hickenlooper private jet trips).... And if you think your in an exempt county, your not...
The tech at the Air care station would have no clue when the cats were installed nor probably care.

1613166926947.png

1613166946894.png

It's simple, politicians being bought off and too many Californian's moving here bring their BS with them.
anyway, to solve this guys problem simply drive to Wyoming to but cats or find a CO native mechanic who doesn't give a s*** LOL. Come get them in Loveland, they tend to be set in their ways here. Or just see post #8 and avoid $48K a day in fines(that must be to cover Hickenlooper private jet trips).... And if you think your in an exempt county, your not...
The tech at the Air care station would have no clue when the cats were installed nor probably care.

View attachment 2583327
View attachment 2583328
^This does not specify, but with CA emission law, there is NO grandfather clause. "Effective date" is for sales and installs in CA, but anything already installed prior, has to be replaced if not compliant.

I never knew that. I HATE the rollers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom