Trouble getting rear brake drum on new pads. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 90 FJ62 and I'm have a heck of a time with my rear brakes.

I went through the procedure of loosening the tension on the brakes, but still had a hell of a time getting the drums off both brake assemblies. I disassembled my rear brakes and resprung them both with new hard wear and new pads.

After reassembling the brake pads and installing them I again had a really hard time getting the drums back on. All of the tension is off. I have opened the bleeder valve, pistons appear to be recessed and still had to tap them on. They are so tight the drums wont turn.

Before I go through the struggle of taking these drums off can anybody advise what the issue may be? Its the same on both sides. The hardware and pads are from Cruiser Outfitters so I am confident I have the proper parts.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

old used drums? is there a ridge between where the shoes wear and the edge of the drum?

Are you sure you backed off your pad adjuster in the correct direction?

It could help to grind the ridge of the drums with an angle grinder- though seeing as the ridge is the original diameter of the drum, it should not be a necessary step..

I’ve had that ridge make it very difficult to get drums off before. Like the drum being 100% free but won’t go past the ridge and no space to grind off in place.

otherwise I might wonder if the wrong cylinders or shoes had been used.

Here are some pics of both passenger and drivers side rear brakes. Same issue both sides. The drums are so tight I have to forcibly install and remove them.

Again, tension released, appears to be properly assembled, drums sanded, bleeding valves have been opened. I'm at a loss. I'm starting to think that Seth S is correct. Wrong pads or cylinder. The cylinders came with the vehicle when I bought it.

IMG_2460 (1).jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

Make sure the adjusters are fully slotted over the steel plate the shoes are on. Give it
a good wiggle, it should move freely side to side. I know it sounds weird, but sometimes
things just aren’t completely in position.

Make sure the adjusters are fully slotted over the steel plate the shoes are on. Give it
a good wiggle, it should move freely side to side. I know it sounds weird, but sometimes
things just aren’t completely in position.

This.

Last time I installed new shoes I had the adjuster dialed in completely, shoes appeared to be positioned correctly, but I could not push the drums on by hand. I had to hammer the drums on and rotate the drum a few times before the shoes settled in.

If the adjuster is fine - I had an issue getting a new rear drum on my 80 (new hardware and shoes). My wheel cylinder would not collapse in enough to allow shoes to be pushed in for the cylinder. I then replaced the wheel cylinders and it was fine. The old wheel cylinder would not move in and out freely and seemed to be partially seized.

Yes, I used the old drums and there is a ridge on the edge of the drum.

If your new shoes are very slightly wider than the old, they could be catching the edge of the drum 'ridge' and hanging up there. It wouldn't take much.

You might just have the drums lightly turned enough to scuff up the surface and remove the ridge, and try after that. At some point, you just have to eliminate the variables, one by one.

Should be a noticeable improvement in braking

There definitely was a difference. Even better when I bled the LSPV along with a four corners. Still doesn't stop as well as I would like. I may go through the bleeding sequence one more time.

Have you adjusted the rear brakes?

Have you adjusted the rear brakes?
Yup. I adjusted them out until I could barely get the drum on. Then I pulled and released the E brake several times until it was firm. I bled the brakes starting at the rear pass, then rear driver, front pass and front drivers last. I drove it. They were pretty soft. Then discovered that I had missed bleeding the LSPV. Bled that, which definitely made a difference. I believe that's the sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom