Tropical storm Albert!

Who has been through a hurricane? There was one when I was 2 years old in '63 in Vancouver but none since. Kind of exciting yet a little fearful especially here in Guatemala where emergency services are not as developed as at home.

Im sure any of the gulf coast and florida folks would be able to tell some great stories. I remember the threads from last years hurricane season (scary). Supposed to be another unusally active season for tropical storms and hurricanes. Hope for everyone sake the experts are wrong.

Good Luck!

Matt

I'll only say that Hugo sucked and the traffic sucks too which makes people want to forget leaving. It took me 16 hrs to evacuate to Atlanta for Floyd. It usually takes me 5. I'll only leave Charleston if the eye is heading south of here because we'd be under water. I know the other South Kakalakians on here can attest to this.
My grandmother's 9th floor Palm Beach condo windows were blown out during Andrew.
I've got friends down on Grand Cayman that experienced Ivan and they were calling to say their goodbyes before it hit.

LoveTractor said:
I'll only say that Hugo sucked and the traffic sucks too which makes people want to forget leaving. It took me 16 hrs to evacuate to Atlanta for Floyd. It usually takes me 5. I'll only leave Charleston if the eye is heading south of here because we'd be under water. I know the other South Kakalakians on here can attest to this.
My grandmother's 9th floor Palm Beach condo windows were blown out during Andrew.
I've got friends down on Grand Cayman that experienced Ivan and they were calling to say their goodbyes before it hit.
That's comforting :) At least it looks like the eye will cross Honduras and we'll only get the edge of the storm.

Oh yeah, you/Guatemala should be fine. The strongest winds are on the "right" side(depending which direction it's moving E vs. W) of an oncoming hurricane because you have the strength of the wind in the hurricane mounted with the forward progression. Example: if a 'cane has winds of 110mph and it's moving forward at 15mph, that "right" side would have winds of 125mph and that's where the storm surge and highest winds are. Adrian only has winds of 85mph, so no real biggie at all anyway. Just a couple downed branches. Maybe loss of power.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep1+shtml/210003.shtml?3day

Top Bottom