Troopy Bed layout (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys.
So I have Seen every single troopy design layout on the earth, Trust me ive been looking for years.
I like a lot of them but decided that the double bed design on top of drawers wasn't what I wanted for a few reasons:
You cant sit up in the middle of the night
Getting in and out of the bed by army crawling would get real annoying
My 60 litre ARB fridge wouldnt fit under the bed. unless the bed was very high.
and Im a single guy so double bed wasnt needed. Never got a one night stand from camping (yet)

So I thought a single bed on the drivers side(right side AUS) would be better so i could use the small door for entering and exiting.
Put my fridge up the front of the cargo area behind the left passenger seat.
Decided on a steel frame made out of 20x20x1.6mm in inches would be 4/5x4/5 (if my fractions are correct).

I started by measuring my single mattress which i got for free lol. its been used once and is a blow up type with foam inside. I just lied it out and closed the bungs and its comfy enough with out blowing it up.

I made 2 steel frames. 1 will sit on top with ply wood. this will fold up to access storage area. I decided against drawers because theyre expensive, dont go the full length of the troopy anyway. and my workmanship would have to be accurate to allow them to work.

anyway I have finished it yet but most of its done. I just have to:
Paint it
put plywood on side, front and back
build platform for fridge (wheel well is in the way)
Try it out!!!

if you's have any questions just ask and I can post more pics
20160322_182008.jpg
20160326_181249.jpg
20160331_142816.jpg
20160331_154526.jpg
20160402_123701.jpg

We're (two of us) doing something similar because we want to maintain the walking corridor, but don't plan to sleep in it full time, only as necessary. The bench seat is getting left in and a platform up front for a dog perch that converts into sleeping. If anyone wants this Sketchup model, I'd be happy to share. I also have one for the 80 series.
upload_2016-4-6_14-45-12.png

Mate, if its a one person car, why not put your fridge where the passenger seat goes, that would be super handy. If i ever were to become widowed in my old age i would do that!

Yeah I put hinges in the frame to access storage. Second last photo 3 gold ones.
What happens when that troopy attracts you a missus? :)
Haha good one. I have thought about it and I can always add a fold up extension on.
Unfortunately its still a daily driver so i need at least one extra seat.

We're (two of us) doing something similar because we want to maintain the walking corridor, but don't plan to sleep in it full time, only as necessary. The bench seat is getting left in and a platform up front for a dog perch that converts into sleeping. If anyone wants this Sketchup model, I'd be happy to share. I also have one for the 80 series.
Mate that looks great. I had a similar setup when I went with 2 mates for a trip but without the sleeping arrangments. just made a simple box for the back and kept the 2 forward benches in. it was great for sitting in when it was pouring down rain. like a little cubby house haha.

I will be working on it a bit this arfternoon so ill get some pics.
20150802_132037.jpg

Are you a bass head? How bad do you need that sub and box? I ask because I understand the need for quality music. In my cruiser I decided to start with quality 2-ways in each door and asses my need for a sub down the road. So far I'm satisfied with my music, but I still want to add sound deadening material. Space is a premium in my build as I'm considering a wife, two kids and a dog.

Have you considered adding a slide to the bed frame? It would be relatively simple and cheap add a few lengths of angle iron to the lower section of the frame. They would serve as the track for a drawer which uses skateboard bearings. I'll try and dig up a build I saw to give you a visual if you're interested.

Great looking frame. How do you plan to secure it to the truck? lots of potential for future growth!

Are you a bass head? How bad do you need that sub and box? I ask because I understand the need for quality music. In my cruiser I decided to start with quality 2-ways in each door and asses my need for a sub down the road. So far I'm satisfied with my music, but I still want to add sound deadening material. Space is a premium in my build as I'm considering a wife, two kids and a dog.

Have you considered adding a slide to the bed frame? It would be relatively simple and cheap add a few lengths of angle iron to the lower section of the frame. They would serve as the track for a drawer which uses skateboard bearings. I'll try and dig up a build I saw to give you a visual if you're interested.

Great looking frame. How do you plan to secure it to the truck? lots of potential for future growth!
Im not a total bass head haha. I actually put them in there to test how they sounded because they were just sitting in the shed. I am going to put a single 12inch sub under the bed right behind the drivers seat, also ill put 6 inch speakers in the side panels just behind the seats. the stock 4 inch speaker sound so tinnie after removing the rear two while doing this.

Im not too fussed about draws at the moment, im considering a small gas strut to help hold the bed frame up. just started my school holidays so ive got 2 weeks to get some stuff done :bounce:

If your looking for a solid performer, I love my Polk MM651's. 6.5" mid. A bit spendy but I waited to find a solid deal on them. I used a marine kenwood amp to power them to spec. And I don't have to worry about the electricals if I swamp my truck.

Hey what did you make that in!
The program I use for all my designing is called "Sketchup". It used to be free and they might still have a low-level free version, but I pay for the pro version as I use it in my furniture designs. We're building out our interior in preparation for Cruise Moab next month, so maybe I'll start a build thread. Today: Purpleheart bumper cover for the rear kaymar (it's nice to have a bunch of beautiful wood sitting around!)

Alright so its 99% done. I haven't painted it yet but other than that its looking good.
I was going to use plywood to enclose the storage space but thought that it might be too heavy so I found a piece of scrap mesh out the back of work and welded that to the sides. I also kept a section at the back open for common camping stuff like my gas cooker so I don't have to lift up the bed every time I need to use something. My most creative design is the handles that I made. I cut them out of spare U bolts I had and I cant wait to whack my shin on them!!
20160408_224016.jpg
20160410_124152.jpg
20160410_170204.jpg
20160410_170918.jpg
20160410_162015.jpg

I'll be working on the fridge mounting over the next few days but here is where I'm up too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom