Troopy AC ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
I posted a question in the link below but would appreciate any further thoughts on putting AC in a Troopy? Living in Phoenix this is near mandatory.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/266250-can-i-join-ac-questions.html

Thinking it would be realistic to use some custom overhead console with blower and evaporator but where would you run the high and low pressure lines to the compressor? Out the roof or down the side? How far can these lines run?

Would you use an OEM FJ60 compressor (my FJ45 is 2F)?

I've seen commercial cab-top units? Are these electric compressors or they just everything (evap, condensor, &c) minus the compressor?

Insight appreciated.

Ah, is this Andrew's old FJ45? I sent him a power steering setup with a 2F pulley for an a/c belt- did you buy that from him? I have seen a few troopies here with evap units mounted inside at the roof level, but I have never asked how they work.

I would think that the 2F compressor would work fine, as that is the same compressor they use here on the Sahara petrol with rear air con.

When I lived in Phoenix with Patches, my factory air con worked fine. I bought a sping-loaded shower rod from WalMart and a clear plastic shower curtain. I put the rod above the lip in the roof, right behind the front seats, and then I would simply open the clear curtain across the back of the truck when I used the air con- it worked great (god help anyone behind the curtain, though).

The factory air con will cool the entire cab of a troopy up until about 90 degrees. However, above that you will need the curtain.

Cheers,

Josh

Sorry, just looked at your link, and answered my own question. Do you want me to change the registry to reflect you as the owner? You really did get a nice rig.

Given you want to have seating for more folks, I don't think you will want to do the shower curtain idea... I like tornado alley's idea of looking at mini van air con units. I don't think there is any reason why you cannot run the lines a fair way- just be sure to insulate them well. They are high pressure, so should be fine for a 10' run.

Welcome to the FJ45!!:)

I don't think there is any reason why you cannot run the lines a fair way- just be sure to insulate them well.

OK, so where would you run them? I'm wondering if I should run them down the same holes in which the rear heater goes, but have to crawl underneath to see how that would route.

I've seen a Sahara at a wreckers here, and I think they run under the carpet and then up the side under the plastic trim. I don't see why you couldn't do the same here. I would just be sure that they are insulated, so you don't lose any of the cooling that the freon has along the way.

When I put the air con in my truck, I had all the lines run by a really good air con man, and it has been great ever since. I'm sure you would have your fair share of air con men to pick from in Phoenix.

Keep us posted on this- I'd like to do something similar.

Josh

heres what you need to do...from my perspective - as im in oman - and its freakin 45-50 degrees here...and my troopie also did not have working air...

-get a 'seasonair' [http://www.seasonair.com] evaportor/blower motor unit, like 120$US to your door from malaysia...works like a charm - super quiet - and much more power than stock. part number:

SE09ET015
MODEL:
SS 9 F (H) LHD
C/W 12V CN MOTOR

-if you dont have one already - get a 2F passenger side engine mount/ac compressor bracket - same as 60 series...
-throw in a condenser w/dryer
-fill with gas
-cool

i also made up a little curtain rig thingy - works beautifully. even without an electric fan on the condenser, even sitting in traffic in 50 degree heat...crazy...mind you - engine temps rise slightly due to the hot condenser sitting right in front of the rad... the only other issue tho is that i had to mount the blower under the glove box - as heater needs to go in the middle...which results in my wife bitching that its too cold...wtf?!? and the driver needing it to be on full to feel anything...

anyway - you can angle it a little toward the driver with the bracketing they give you for a little compromise...

Those look good! They'll ship to the States? What does one do about the water drain? I think I'd like to mount 1-2 evaps above-head :)

It will be 45-48C here by next month :(

Those look good! They'll ship to the States? What does one do about the water drain? I think I'd like to mount 1-2 evaps above-head :)

It will be 45-48C here by next month :(

hey - there are two ports on either side at the back of the unit - and they supply a length of hosing and a three way splitter so you can join them together and run one drain pipe where ever...i dont know about mounting it overhead tho...it would be difficult to find a decent spot for it - but by ll means, give it a whirl...i'd suggest you do what josh and i have both done and rock the curtain - ill be posting up pictures of my rig in a couple days...finally...its been a solid year of working on this thing every day...and its going into a container in two days for africa...finally finished...hopefully it could give you some inspiration...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom