Trooper II and Montero

Does anyone else like these? I don't know anything about them, but I like them. I was watching a Tooper II at the off road park and man, he was doing things that I would never do in the Cruiser (mostly because I love my Cruiser). He was ARBed at both ends and I swore he was going to roll more than once. Seemed to me that this rig was pretty capable.

I like the montero's because one of the years looks close to a Troopy to me.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Canyon/2327/

Go ahead, bash away, but I still like them. :grinpimp: :doh:

I just picked up a '98 Montero, had been looking at Pathfinders, 4Runner, FZJ80's, FJ80's you name it and just found the best vehicle I could for my price range, only had it a couple weeks, but like it, definitly not as well put together a cruiser and not as solid but I think it will be a decent 2nd DD and hopefully a little cheaper on parts then the cruiser, guess we will see, I like the looks and the setup, very similar to the cruiser I have, my montero has a couple little things that my cruiser does not, heated seats, 12V in rear, tire on back door, rear locker, radiator protection, fog lights, which was all an option and put in by factory, again not a cruiser but like you said might be something to just beat the hell out of and not worry too much about it............

I considered a Trooper II for a 2nd DD, inquired about them here, do a search a couple of Mudders posted up some links to their forums.....real good info.....would've bought it except seller decided not to part with it, and I found a 60...

Isuzu's are horrible vehicles. Parts availability is bad, quality is worse.

Head problems: 4 cyl and 6 cyl. Cracking, warping whatever.
Ignition problems: anything from ECU's to distributors.
Brakes: rear calipers (expensive) rear rotors, e-brake cables, ABS sensors
Misc: heater cores, paint

Don't forget, a lot of Isuzu's are GM vehicles.

Mitsubishi's are not much better.

Resale value in the whole
Electrical demons that will drive you to distraction.
Weak V6's with head gasket and interference motors that grenade

Neither are worth considering in my opinion. Old 4cyl 4Runner would be better.

sixsracing said:

Pretty blanket statement that just isn't true. Look outside the U.S., like Australia and you'll see as many Isuzu's as Toyota's there. True, a lot of older Isuzu's are GM, but they're still one of the most tech savy auto companies in the world. Not to mention the world's largest truck maker. My 2000 Rodeo, albeit part GM, is a great vehicle. It's not as forgiving as a cruiser if you neglect the manintenance, but with simple things like changing the oil regularly, they are some pretty darn reliable and tough vehicles. How many other automakers offer a direct-injected gasser engine in a vehicle costing less than $30k? None.

sixsracing said:

I disagree with everything in this quote...;) search...my comments were on Troppers, not Tropper II...the II was pre- 1990...

I owned three Isuzu Troopers 1988, 1994 and 1998 and my total cost other than Batteries, tires routine care and gas was about $300. They were very reliable and good vehicles. My daughter has a 2000 Rodeo and has had no problems.

I would disagree with one of the previous posts strongly.

I still see alot of old isuzus on the road, so I think they seem to be valued by the owners enough to keep spending more money on an old truck.

archie said:
I still see alot of old isuzus on the road, so I think they seem to be valued by the owners enough to keep spending more money on an old truck.
I've been seeing a ton of old Troopers all around the north side lately. Even a few with no body rust. I'm starting to get an itch for one, but I'm holding out until I find a Turbo diesel.

rick_d: Take your troop to the dealer and have them document the oil usage. If it gets too bad, at a certain point they will drop in a new long block for ya free of charge, as long as your are the original owner. (120k powertrain warranty covers it). I also found that Mobil 1 5w-30 and SeaFoam keep my oil usage to about 1 quart every 3k or so if I'm doing lots of highway, otherwise I burn little to none if its just city driving. I just haven't driven mine much since I got my 60. :)

mot

I used to drive an '89 Montero (V-6) and although with it's huge sunroof and roomy interior (relatively speaking here), I hated the way it handled doing anything over 30mph. The steering had too much play and it was not confident inspiring by any means.

The later/newer models might be a different story, but I don't know. :confused:

My $0.02

If that ARB'd Trooper had a homemade snorkel made well of PVC pipe, I've wheeled with him. That's Sean and if it was 7 mile, he knows the area well too.

I've had two Monteros, a gen 1 (1991) and a Gen 2 (1997). Also used to regularly wheel new Monteros with my best bud who was the Mitsubishi Product Planner. They're cheap, tough and well built. Not Toyota class, but closer than most anything out there.

Isuzus are a full step below the Montero quality level.

DougM

chitown,
I could be wrong but I believe that so far Audi is the only manufacturer to offer direct injection on a gasoline motor (I.E. injector in the combustion chamber not the port or runner) on the public market this is a direct descendant of the all conquering Audi R8 ALMS car and this technology is particular to only BOSCH I believe. I may be wrong and like they say you learn something everyday, If you have a factual place that I can see this info please post a link. The FSI Audi is for sale in the usa as of right know any A3 or A4 that is badged 2.0t is an FSI car. I do agree about Isuzu I worked for them for 2.5 year @ a really large dealer in NJ (60 isuzu's a month) the old cars can definately be some trouble in terms of the 4 cylinder motors having pourus heads and the gm v6 leaking @ the head gaskets and spark plug tubes leaking oil into the tube and causign a misfire. but if you stay ontop of them they are not bad. and can make a real nice 2nd DD

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."

Hi All:

I've owned a 1991 Isuzu Trooper since new - it now has about 125,000 miles on it. Five speed manual transmission with the 2.6 Litre I-4 engine.

This has been a very reliable, cheap to operate vehicle. Just dropped $900 into it to get the head-built (very poor compression in one cylinder.) That more than the entire total of maintance costs over the previous 13 years!

Yes, the re-sale value isn't much ($1500) and it is not a 'wheeler in the same league as a Land Cruiser (same league as a Nissan Xterra) but I own it, it's paid for, and it gets reasonable fuel mileage for "a shoebox on wheels." Figure I'll drive it into the ground, or sell it cheap to one of my nephews/neices in a few years.

My $00.02

-Alan
Seattle

IdahoDoug said:

DougM
Have to disagree. My best friend had a 97 Montero, & I own a 94 Trooper (not Trooper II).
In my opinion the Trooper has:
Tighter Body
More comfortable seating
Much nicer interior
Healthier axles & frame

My only gripe, is the price & availability of parts.

Having said all that,

It aint no Cruiser.

IdahoDoug said:
If that ARB'd Trooper had a homemade snorkel made well of PVC pipe, I've wheeled with him. That's Sean and if it was 7 mile, he knows the area well too.

I've had two Monteros, a gen 1 (1991) and a Gen 2 (1997). Also used to regularly wheel new Monteros with my best bud who was the Mitsubishi Product Planner. They're cheap, tough and well built. Not Toyota class, but closer than most anything out there.

DougM
I don't remember a snorkle, but there can't be too many built Trooper II's here. There aren't that many built anything up here.

Next time you are in Spokane, give me a holler.

i had a 91 trooper with the 2.8 v6 that i bought off my parents. they had it since brand new so itwas well maintained and i continued on that trend.
i put a 3 inch body lift on it, 2 inch susp for a total of 300 dollars including new shocks and i cleared 33s with ease. it had a limited slip in the rear from the factory.
i would have to say, and i am being partial/sentimental that it was an awesome wheeler, and in fact it outdoes my fj40 on 36s in some situations (im guessing mostly because of wheelbase).
even when it was on 33s i could still drive from north vancouver canada to portland oregon on a monthly basis on one tank of gas (300 plus miles) so my milega was around 12-16 which isnt too bad for a lifted truck with a small engine....i guess it did help that it had a 5 speed manual though.
i was just going thru some old wheeling photos and i really regret selling that truck....it was pretty badass. here are some action shots for those who are interested.

http://community.webshots.com/user/toyotagrrl94

youll have to click around, but they are there.

i wouldnt hesitate to buy anotehr trooper ina second, and if we didnt need a pickup, we probably would have bought one a few months back.

jerseyfzj80 said:
chitown,
I could be wrong but I believe that so far Audi is the only manufacturer to offer direct injection on a gasoline motor (I.E. injector in the combustion chamber not the port or runner) on the public market this is a direct descendant of the all conquering Audi R8 ALMS car and this technology is particular to only BOSCH I believe. I may be wrong and like they say you learn something everyday, If you have a factual place that I can see this info please post a link. The FSI Audi is for sale in the usa as of right know any A3 or A4 that is badged 2.0t is an FSI car. I do agree about Isuzu I worked for them for 2.5 year @ a really large dealer in NJ (60 isuzu's a month) the old cars can definately be some trouble in terms of the 4 cylinder motors having pourus heads and the gm v6 leaking @ the head gaskets and spark plug tubes leaking oil into the tube and causign a misfire. but if you stay ontop of them they are not bad. and can make a real nice 2nd DD
Check it out. I'd love to have this motor in my 2000, although my plain ole injection 3.2 V6 runs like a champ.

http://www.isuzu04.com/direct_injection_engine.jsp

My $.02 worth. We HAD two trooper ll one 86 carbed one 88 EFI the 88 fell apart at 80k, carcked head then spun bearings, trany probelms, Auto hubs puked, rust........ the 86 ran 135K no problems just got freaked due to the 88 problems and dumped it for a CRV... no sure it was much of an improvment. STAY far away from Trooper ll.

chi town I stand corrected thanks for the link, tell me that is not some really cool technolgy wait till you see what bosch is rolling out in the near future interms of combustion chamber shape it is some wild a$$ Sh*t..

Top Bottom