Trollhole carb on FJ55....2nd try...what am I doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If oil is coming out when you crank the engine you are good to go. No oil, no good.

Thanks man....

Any thoughts in relation to an E dizzy vs points with this procedure?

"Follow Posers advice, especially about seating the distributor all the way. You can set the timing with the engine off like this:

Turn the engine to Top Dead Center on compression stroke.
Turn the key to ON and rotate the distributor "backwards" to retard the timing.
Now advance the timing by rotating the distributor until the points spark.

That's 0 degrees static, which is fine for break in. The rotor now determines where the #1 spark plug wire is located on the cap. If you don't like it pull the distributor and rotate it to where you want it, then repeat the static timing."

Thanks as always!
Ben

Set the engine at the BB, which is 7 degrees BTDC and then static time the distributor on the spark. You can also use a test light voltage probe on the - lug of the coil as the lamp will light when the points open or the ignitor triggers.

Immediately after you start the engine up, verify the oil pressure at the gauge.

I have just encountered this problem as well. Was there a resolution to this problem?
Any good mechanics here in Los angeles?

I have just encountered this problem as well. Was there a resolution to this problem?
Any good mechanics here in Los angeles?

Which problem? There was more than one.
Why don't you start a new thread telling people what you have, what you've done, and what is happening?

Agree completely w/Pin_head here--not ignition prob. The truck ran before the new carb, so guess what is suspect???
If it runs good for 10 seconds using starting fluid it is not likely an ignition problem.

What is the compression on this engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom