Trollhole Carb + Desmog Overhaul. Hose replacement questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.catchmagazine.net
Hi everyone,
I'm at the tail end of a huge desmog project (huge for me) and would love some advice on what gets capped or reconnected before I fire my 84 FJ60 up.
I've had the manifolds resurfaced and have everything installed including the Trollhole carb. I've been through 96 pages of great info over on his thread but still have questions as Marshall states to make it simple and pull all hoses except retain the vac line for the dizzy and AC idle up which I have swapped over from the old stock carb. I'm so anxious to get this rolling again and it seems their are so many different desmog instructions out there and Marshall's carb seems to be one of the simplest but that means a lot of hoses are left open. Please see photos for reference. Thank you!!!!

Air cleaner. Marshall mentioned running a line from the charcoal canister. Photo 3 shows the charcoal canister. If I understand his comments in other threads... cap two and run one to the air cleaner or not? I labeled them a,b,c Can you tell me where each one should go to or get capped? Where would you drill or connect the canister line to the air cleaner?

Photo 2 shows a line that I pulled from larger the port on the intake manifold with the cooling fins. Since that is pulled can I yank that whole line off and cap it at the white port on that big black circular vacuum housing? (I think I answered my own question as that hose has to be connected right as it's the brake booster line. If I cap it I'll have stiff breaking or no breaking?)

I have three circular one way valves I’ve pulled during the desmog. Should I place one of these inline from small hole on distributor cap to airfilter? Which port on air filter?
Should I run one of these one way valves in the line coming off the only vacuum hose from the Trollhole carb to side inner port of dizzy as well?

Photo 5 - passengers side you’ll see a hose that has been disconnected and it’s connected to that metal T fitting that is also open. (this hose came from the J tube) Cap hose and metal T?

Photo 6 shows a port that is now open because I yanked that hose out. It’s underneath the master cylinder.

Photo 7 just shows a port on the firewall same area close to master cylinder. Not sure if this should be capped.

BVSV - The original desmog guide said to cap lower BVSV and keep the upper. I'm thinking I need to cap both?

Thank you so much for your help with figuring these things out.

Photo 2.jpeg

Photo 3.jpeg

Photo 5.jpeg

Photo 6.jpeg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 2> Yes you answered your question correctly.

Photo 3> Leave hoses as is and leave pipe/hose B open to atmosphere. The charcoal canister also has a vent on its bottom, so you could cap pipe B and it would still vent fine too into the frame. You could run a hose from pipe B to some hole in the air cleaner housing so that fumes get sucked back into the engine while driving - but since you've [Desmogged] it's kinda pointless since you don't care about emissions. I definitely wouldn't drill a new hole in the air cleaner housing to mount a new vent hose.

Photo 5> Cap that tee pipe in the PCV hose. It's a huge vacuum leak. Let that other hose just dangle if it's not connected to anything on the other side.

Photo 6> The L pipe in the insulator at the base of the carb has to be plugged. It would create a big vacuum leak.

Photo 7> That big hose might be the original carb float bowl vent hose. If it is, it will be connected to the outer vent control valve on the charcoal canister. If it is that - it can be left open to atmosphere or plugged. Doesn't matter, it's not doing anything (if it's that hose).

Thank you so much for your time. Taken care of the things you mentioned. Really appreciate it!

Photo 8 & 9 - I just went out a took a few photos of the charcoal canister. Looks like hose A (left side of canister) on the canister connects to pipe A in the other photo that would have gone to the carb float bowl vent I think? The port that came off the carb on the drivers side.
Then pipe B comes from the center port of the charcoal canister and comes out on the drivers side and I labeled that B.

Photo 4 - I didn't have room to upload a few other photos but here they are...
I have three circular one way valves I’ve pulled during the desmog. Should I place one of these inline from small hole on distributor cap to airfilter? Which port on air filter?
Should I run one of these one way valves in the line coming off the only vacuum hose from the Trollhole carb to side inner port of dizzy as well?

Photo 8.jpg

Photo 9.jpg

Photo 4.jpeg

Photo 8> Yes your statement is correct. Pipe "A" on the charcoal canister along with the electrically activated vapor control valve is only used with a carburetor that has a float bowl vent tube built into it.
If your Trollhole carb doesn't have a float bowl vent pipe on the carb then this plumbing isn't needed. In any case, it's an emissions component.

Photo 9> Yes you can leave both those hose ends open to atmosphere. Pipe "B" on the charcoal canister is the primary vent tube for the gas tank. The vent pipe on the bottom of charcoal canister is another vent exit too.

Photo 4> Those three plastic valves are known as VTVs (vacuum transfer valves). They aren't check valves. Air flows unrestricted one way but is slowed down flowing the other way. The valves are color coded to identify their flow rate. They shouldn't be inserted willy nilly in a vacuum line but only the correct color should be installed in the correct vacuum hose.

The vacuum hose that leads to the distributor vacuum advancer gets one of those VTVs. The blue one.

The emissions manual shows where everything goes. You should definitely have a copy of that even though you've ripped out most of the gear.

The correct valve to vent the distributor (correctly) is called a VSV. It's different than those VTVs you've got.

image.jpeg

Thanks again!!!! This is great. I have the manuals and have been looking them over. I'm going to go look if I have the blue version VSV now... but here is what I have that I pulled from my parts that came off. THANK You!

edit... added a photo showing how it was setup in my rig when I pulled it off. These white VSV's are backwards compared to the blue version you have?

IMG_7142.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

Last edited:
Yea the white & black VSV you have is the original valve. They often malfunction after 30 years. The emissions manual describes how to test it. If yours are duds, the new blue one can still be purchased . It's designed for the FZJ80 but works the same. Just one pipe is oriented 180° opposite.

Thanks, I'm getting there. I actually just have the 2F Engine repair manual and chassis manual. I had this part all wrong. Labeled a photo to get this straight. And thanks again for all the help! Labeled the ports A, B, C
Port A connects to the small hole on the top right side of the distributor cap.
Port B - Does this connect to the small hole on the top of the air cleaner?
Port C - I'm not sure where this connects? On the other side but I don't think I have an open ports to connect too?

Thank you for your time.

Edit... this is what the drivers side looks like.

IMG_7145.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

Last edited:
@Todd Moen

I am actually running this same setup(Trollhole carb actually done in his shop ), let me know if some pictures would help.

Wow! That would be FANTASTIC! Anything you have of the lines that he used and ones he capped would be great. I really appreciate it. I'm so close but yet it would be great to see a rig that was actually done by Marshall to see how he sets it up. How's yours running?
AND THANKS!

Last edited:
This thread below shows how to hook up the distributor venting

That is a great post about that valve. Thanks! Just to be sure, the port coming straight out the end will got the air cleaner get a little vacuum from that port. Just want to make sure what port on air cleaner this should goto? And then the 90 degree port on the other end goes to the intake manifold. So to one of the ports on the triple port thing.

Do you cap the two white ports under the airf ilter?

Thanks for hanging in there and helping me out.

Yes, the vacuum source for the distributor venting VSV is that three pipe fitting on the intake manifold (Toyota calls "gas filter")

This is how it should be plumbed.
There should be a protruding pipe sticking out of the top R side of the air cleaner housing. That's where the vent line goes

image.jpeg

Yes, the vacuum source for the distributor venting VSV is that three pipe fitting on the intake manifold (Toyota calls "gas filter")

This is how it should be plumbed.
There should be a protruding pipe sticking out of the top R side of the air cleaner housing. That's where the vent line goes

View attachment 2694661
Thank you so much. So quick to respond... I really appreciate the help. I will now be able fire it up this evening.
I've been working on this thing seems like forever. Pulled manifold and had it resurfaced, block off plate installed, all new Toyota bolt hard-wear, rings and springs on horns, Trollhole carb, and a full desmog... this engine compartment is empty! I let you guys know how it goes. Really appreciate the help.

IMG_6815 2.jpg

IMG_6817.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6839.jpg

@Todd Moen
It runs very well. He did it I guess 5-6 years ago, one of the better things I have done. I do really think I need a new cat though.

As far as pictures I will take some tomorrow, if they don't cover your questions let me know.

@Todd Moen
It runs very well. He did it I guess 5-6 years ago, one of the better things I have done. I do really think I need a new cat though.

As far as pictures I will take some tomorrow, if they don't cover your questions let me know.
Awesome. Anything you can post would be great. Just appreciate you offering. Will be cool to see a rig done right...

let me know, I took some others.

someone needs to do a full desmog with all different colored vacuum lines. It is to hard to tell what you are looking at.

Last edited:
let me know, I took some others.

someone needs to do a full desmog with all different colored vacuum lines. It is to hard to tell what you are looking at.
I agree... colored hose would be awesome.
Photos of your engine compartment are great though.
I labeled with red lines where I’d love to know where those hoses end up. A couple of them I can see the one end but not the other. And then the one behind the engine that is hard to see would be great to know where each end goes.
Maybe a tad wider shot of each side of the engine and a shot from the front starting from the radiator to the back of the firewall.
Thanks so much. Really appreciate this.

752EAFDB-F46C-42D9-BF83-09EA5C00F1F9.jpeg

771E919C-5294-41A9-B855-65DB7B8F7101.jpeg

CD08ED89-2030-4FE7-B3D0-3770FB1A93F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom