Trollhole carb and possible idle solenoid issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed new trollhole carb a few weeks ago but have been having trouble idling once warm and after long (~ 5mi highway drives when I’m come to a stop). Truck will idle down to an eventual stall and is then really difficult to start. Black smoke coming from the exhaust makes me think it’s getting too much fuel somehow. I have checked and corrected Valves, timing, and vacuum leaks checked for. Compression test done. New plugs and wires. Taken apart carb and cleaned out 2x with very little debris and none of the “shavings” others noted in prior posts. Throttle linkage returns fully. Started reading a few threads and have come to the conclusion it’s the idle control solenoid not functioning properly. Trollhole carb only has one wire from solenoid to plug and I ran it to power source. Took the other green wire from emission computer and grounded it. I get a “click” on occasion but no obvious change to the solenoid when it’s hardwired. Will NOT die when unplugged. What’s my next step or am I way off. Emailed and called Marshall now awaiting a reply. Any ideas?

2DC40B89-57A0-4D19-864D-C6DA21E5AC20.jpeg

6BB62C51-2AE5-46B0-BDC0-48F8FF097357.jpeg

Check the float level and idle mixture.
If the engine sputters out with black smoke at idle, but idles ok when the fuel cut solenoid is unplugged - the idle mixture is way too rich.

Hope he gets back to you quicker than he did me

He never got back to me. I’d start by loosening an retorquing the carb base gently.

I had similar phantom issues, the Fuji carb from city racer fixed them.

Let us know hoe the torque and retorque goes. If that works great otherwise PM me. I have a new in the box trollhole carb that I was going to use and ended up sticking with my rebuilt carb.
I can send it to you and you can see if it was something with yours.

Last edited:
Hey Rube,
Did you every figure it out?

Nothing new to report so far other than I’m in the process of waiting for parts to rebuild my old carb. Hopefully it’ll run fine after a rebuild. It’s disassembled and awaiting a rebuild kit via Cruiser Outfitters. Hopefully get it this week and have a chance to install late next week. I’ll update this thread when reinstall the old carb.

Great hoping that works. Nothing more frustrating than a carb not working as it should. They are very simple after all.

Great hoping that works. Nothing more frustrating than a carb not working as it should. They are very simple after all.
I hope I get to the point where rebuilding them is simple. This is my first rebuild so it’s still a little daunting but nothing terrible. Thanks for the loaner carb offer as well. I may take you up on it if my rebuilt carb isn’t any different.

Does anyone know if I should look to get different jets or tune it differently with a desmog application?

Check the EGR valve first. Are your headlights brightining when you idle up ? check the coil ground thru the carrige to the body.

@Rube so far in all my reading regarding desmog no one has changed out jets.

Update:
Rebuilt my original factory carb and installed it this morning. I’m sure it’s not up to @FJ40Jim standards but this was essentially just a test to see if my truck would run better which it definitely did. Old carb could be in better shape notably needing a new fuel mixture screw but it still ran better than my Trollhole carb. When I get time I’m planning to tear apart the trollhole carb and make sure I didn’t miss something obvious.

Its good you could do all that. Seems what I’ve found in all my reading are that the TH carbs are hit or miss. Some work great and some just don’t. They can be rebuilt just like the stock carb so give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Rube - similar story with me. The TH carb had a hesitation on initial acceleration and the secondary never opened up. However it did start better in the cold and idled fine. I ended up rebuilding my OEM (first time as well) with a kit from Kurt, wasn't super confident, but it worked better then the TH, no hesitation and secondary opens up, plus the throttle no longer sticks (which is why I swapped it with the TH). I called, emailed, and PM'd Marshall, several times. I'm sure he's busy and seems to have helped many people, just had no luck getting a hold of him. Kind of sucks, $275 and I have a fancy doorstop I guess; it'll work in a pinch but I don't like it. I may rebuild it as well....just for practice I guess. If that doesn't work, then when I have another $285 I'll get a "backup carb" from City Racer...

Rube - similar story with me. The TH carb had a hesitation on initial acceleration and the secondary never opened up. However it did start better in the cold and idled fine. I ended up rebuilding my OEM (first time as well) with a kit from Kurt, wasn't super confident, but it worked better then the TH, no hesitation and secondary opens up, plus the throttle no longer sticks (which is why I swapped it with the TH). I called, emailed, and PM'd Marshall, several times. I'm sure he's busy and seems to have helped many people, just had no luck getting a hold of him. Kind of sucks, $275 and I have a fancy doorstop I guess; it'll work in a pinch but I don't like it. I may rebuild it as well....just for practice I guess. If that doesn't work, then when I have another $285 I'll get a "backup carb" from City Racer...

My thoughts exactly. You win some and you lose some.

Went to drive my rebuilt aisin carb today and it stumbled and hesitated with a heavier foot and wouldn’t get beyond 3k rpm without significant delay despite my persistent foot. I assumed the secondary wasn’t kicking in so I took it back off and tuned the secondary to FSM specs but still no dice. I’m now at a loss and considering taking the plunge for a third carb via cityracer this time. I’ll likely order some new jets as the trollhole carb doesn’t have the jet sizes labeled and I might attempt to replace those jets and rebuild it before taking the hit for the cityracer carb. It’s just so new and shiny though...

Frustrating. Mine does this but I can generally push it through and it goes out of the stumble. I do know tho I need to investigate the secondary port and make sure it’s getting good flow. @mwebfj60 and @roadstr6 both gave me good directions that after I get the knuckles and brakes done I need to give a honest stab.
Carb stuff is maddening.

Did you completely take apart the TH carb and blow out every nook and hole? I had a similar problem with mine, orderd a new idle solenoid, no luck. Ordered a new City racer fuji carb. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I took the TH carb apart one more time, blew out everything especially the area where the solenoid is and where the fuel first goes into the carb after the solenoid. That did it. It has been running pretty good ever since. I think it got clogged when my son put ethanol fuel into it. I think the fuel cleaned up some varnish in the metal fuel line. I still have the Fuji carb in the closet unopened just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom