Trollhole 45 Soft Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Have two 45's at the shop right now and both of the bed dimensions are different. from front to back I get 87 1/2 inches. But on the sides I get 66 & 66 3/8 in the rear. and on the front I get 66 1/2 & 66 1/4

I'm going to build some fudge factor into these tops but it would be nice to know what they originally were.

Designing a bed soft top and a cab soft top. Working with Todd at Real Steel to fabricate the frames to sell.

Also it looks as if the holes for the main bow hoop that goes into the tub is 23mm or .9 inches. FJ40's use a 1" tube. Can someone confirm the tube size of the B pillar and how long it is?

Thanks in advance.

I can get some when I get home today. The b pillar holes are smaller and the pins on the hardtop are only about an 1 1/2 long. These should sell well and I am in for one of both!!

No measurements, as my rig is 100 miles away at this point, plus my bed is anything but stock...but I too would be interested in learning more about the cab soft-top option.

Aren't the pins on the earlier tubs smaller in diameter than the later tubs? Curios what these will look like. Any sneak previews or napkin renditions?

What years are the 45s. I can check bed later tonight after shift. When I rebuild mine I made a make shift cross bar jig to keep it as close to straight as possible. Were are you measuring from?

When you say bed soft top, are you referring to a hoop-supported shell, or a tonneau style cover?

I would likely also get one of the bed covers if there will be a custom option. My bed was shortened exactly one "hook" on the side. Would be able to get detailed measurements.

Have two 45's at the shop right now and both of the bed dimensions are different. from front to back I get 87 1/2 inches. But on the sides I get 66 & 66 3/8 in the rear. and on the front I get 66 1/2 & 66 1/4

I'm going to build some fudge factor into these tops but it would be nice to know what they originally were.

Designing a bed soft top and a cab soft top. Working with Todd at Real Steel to fabricate the frames to sell.

Also it looks as if the holes for the main bow hoop that goes into the tub is 23mm or .9 inches. FJ40's use a 1" tube. Can someone confirm the tube size of the B pillar and how long it is?

Thanks in advance.

Marshall,

Well, I chopped 12 inches out of my bed, so I'm not much help there. My drivers side was a bit warped when I started as well. I was able to get some of your B-pillar dimensions though.

Tub hole measures .8 inches ID and is 3 7/8 inches deep.
Tube that extends down from the top to engage into the tub measures .7 to .8 inches in diameter (obviously not round or uniform) and is 2 3/16 inches long.

Hope it helps. Ping me back if you need pictures or more measurements, as the top is currently off the truck.

Truck is '67 LPB

Oh, I'd buy a cab soft top with bows tomorrow if you had them.

Thanks,

jC

Should have the first mockups done by next week. The bed is a cover that somewhat mimics the top on 40's. The shape of the bows will be exact to a 40. I want that box squared off look. Will have a very similar rear panel. Yet to decide on doing 3 windows in the rear or just one big window. I know the sides will have two windows on each side.

Cab sides even as small as they are will most likely have a window. Really want to do the rear cab windows just like the 40 rear soft top. That way you have straps that will help hold it down. Might do the magnets. Rear window roll up window will have to have magnets because putting the straps would be a pain in the ass.

Todd and I just finished hashing out what parts I need. He will be making the bows and I'll make the top and other bits.

Something like this. My 5 min photochop. Sorry to the person who's 45 this is. I found this in a quick search on google.

And sorry about the spare tire.

DSCN2786 copy.jpg

DSCN2786 copybed.jpg

This looks really nice. Have you considered making the frame mount up using the original over-centre latches? I've always dreamt of a frame I could unclip and remove in seconds with the canvas still on it!

...via IH8MUD app

This looks really nice. Have you considered making the frame mount up using the original over-centre latches? I've always dreamt of a frame I could unclip and remove in seconds with the canvas still on it!

...via IH8MUD app
Biggest issue with that is the front windshield. Don't know how you would get it off with the top still holding it.

So on windows what is the consensus on the cab and bed? I need your input since you're my customers.

I do know the side window in the cab is going to be the same length as the door window.

The rear window in the cab I don't know. I do know I'm using magnets to hold the rear window to the tub. But keeping it tight around the corners will take some thinking since I don't want to use straps. I have these 6mm hooks that can screw into the tub that I can attach bungee anchors to. But the one problem is some 45's have provisions for the latches and some don't. That spot especially needs a hook because it's where the window panel will start.

Bed I know is getting two big windows on each side. The rear and front panels. I know the front will get the same treatment as the cab so it matches. But on the rear tailgate window I don't know what to do. I'm thinking one large window and doing away with the small ones. I'd make it as tall as the trollhole style ones I do on the 40's.

Thoughts

like this
dscn2786-copybed-jpg.939989

dscn2786-copy-jpg.939988

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom