Troa Metal Body Panels Co. FJ-40 metal windshield frame review (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I purchased a Troa windshield frame from eBay for my 1982 FJ-43 (mostly because I was not looking forward to the weld repairs I’d have to accomplish...just cheaper and more cost effective to start fresh)

The Troa team’s communication was excellent and answered my questions. My main question was their photos did not show if they had the seven 6mm bolt holes on top of the front exterior for the soft top bow. They said they can accommodate that request no problem.

Unfortunately due to a mixup in shipping, they sent one without the holes on top, so I had to return it. The process was easy and I got a full refund, so like I said...great customer service.

The actual frame was an accurate and faithful reproduction of the OEM frame. Fit and bolt patterns were a match. Only noticeable difference was the thickness of the sheet metal used. They used sheet metal that was maybe 1 or 2 (at most) gauges thinner. So it was overall lighter but still would have done the job.

Finish was primed with enamel primer. It would have required some preparation prior to final paint such as smooth sanding and seam sealer.

All in all, if your windshield frame is beyond repair, these frames seem to be a good alternative and I’d give it a go.

I elected to repair mine since the return and turn around time was greater than my repair work time so I could get mine to paint..for what it’s worth.

70C7F6A8-E492-4AA0-B2C5-FD9A6A2E451A.jpeg

Interesting. My review of the quality of this part
troa1.jpg
was somewhat lower. I found the quality overall to be poor. Here is an example - it appears as though the steel is so thin that when pressed the metal split on the corner. Perhaps equally concerning is that if there is some form of quality control, it did not catch this obvious problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom