Triple Tow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Anyone done this? I want to tow a camper (ball hitch) and tow another smaller trailer behind it (ball hitch). It would be behind my Ex and I have a controller. I wouldnt be close to GVWR, but may be long.

I have seen truck, camper, boat... it looked sketchy, but perhaps it is legal? I'd hate to make a u-turn.

Check your local laws. Some states (at least for big trucks) allow a triple and some don't.

Two bumper pulls is a death wish. The second trailer can/will get to whipping pretty good at any reasonable speed.

Pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck with a bumper pull behind it isn't nearly as bad, but they can still sway.

You've seen the UPS trailers in triples, no doubt? They call them "Wiggle Wagons" for a reason, and they're all on fifth wheels.

It's legal if you're licensed for it

I have a commercial license with a doubles and triples endoresment. It's legal to tow multiple trailers as long as you have this endorsement, the tow connections are all legit and you're not exceeding the tow capacity or gross vehicle weight rating for your tow vehicle. Even tbhough I'm licensed to do this, it gets real old real fast being pulled over by EVERY cop and having to show your license etc...

msapers - you bring up a good point. I wonder if there's any legal requirement for a non-commercial driver to have a multiple trailer endorsement on their license in order to pull triples? I'm pretty sure there are states where multiple trailers are flat not legal at all, but in the states where they are, I wonder if you have to have a CDL with the appropriate endorsement?

I've got my CDL with T & X endorsements, but I've never thought about it from the weekend warrior wanting to pull his RV & boat to the lake on the weekends...

It is not legal up here. It doesnt matter what Endorsment you have.

It's legal in NV (depending on length) without any classifiers

Not legal in Oregon for other than commercial heavy trucks.

Here in CA, if you have the license, the hitch on your first trailer must be rated for the combined weight of both trailers. So you're pretty much limited to a pintle, gooseneck, or fifth wheel.

I do it all the time. Comment above about bumper/bumper is valid. Lots of feedback but I got a sway bar for the 2nd trailer and it is now rock solid.

Towing behind a gooseneck is great though.

Even where it may be legal, do you really want to do it? and how skilled are you? Especially if you are nearing max capacity. Are you willing to put all your toys in jeopardy and more importantly peoples lives.
Not passing judgment.

If you have it set up properly, why would it be unsafe?

This was my bumperpull setup. Worked great once I got the sway bar installed on the camper. Before the sway bar it was crazy.

The gooseneck makes it rock solid. No feedback at all.

attachment.php

IMG_1990.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom