Events/Trails Trip Report From Recent 4,000 Mile Road Trip in our 2016 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Drove from Denver to Oregon Coast and some bits around Oregon during the month of February. From time to time people are curious about MPG, etc. So here are my top level (not "engineering level" or OCD-level) results from the trip.
  • 4,003 Miles. (My LC is now over 66K after 18 months of ownership.) Nearly all highway/interstate. Average speed between speed limit and 5mph over. A lot of 55-65mph secondary highways vs 75-80 interstates highways which probably helped MPG.
  • Average MPG for the whole 4,000 miles (as displayed by the trip computer on my 2016 LC) - 15.3 MPG. I don't know about earlier miles but the 2016 allows me to reset the average MPG which I did at the beginning of the trip. It separately allows me to have it automatically reset after each fill up which I did not bother with. We always filled up with whatever the mid-grade was and nearly always Shell Plus.
  • Weight of LC fully loaded for this trip - 7,000 lbs. (This includes all our gear and my wife and I).
  • LC Setup: 2016 LC w/ Slee sliders, Gobi rack/ladder, ARB drawers (no 3rd row). 285/60R18 Hakka R2 snow tires (vs my usual 285/65R18E KO2s). Yakima cargo box (long and narrow version with golf clubs, winter emergency gear and snow shoes), Maxtrax and shovel on the roof rack.
  • Cargo box on roof was noisy on the interstates, otherwise we didn't notice it. But my truck is noticeably noisier at 75-80 mph.
  • Lots of snow driving (including a snow storm with packed snow and ice over Monarch Pass in CO having just been told by a state patrolman not to attempt it as they had just had 2 accidents and another snow storm coming down Soldier Pass into Provo at night, through the Oregon Cascades with ice and snowpack and on the way home some off pavement driving in snow/mud around Moab). Hakka's did awesome.
  • Dynamic Cruise Control was awesome on this trip. My right led could not have handled the long hours without it. I got so accustomed to how it worked that, given the long stretches of freeway, I could go for an hour without using my feet.
To net it out, the LC did awesome. There is something about driving in a solid, capable, warm, comfortable and generally quiet vehicle when you put in a 14 hour day of driving in the middle of winter. And being able to carry plenty of "stuff". The 15.3 average mpg was a bit of a pleasant surprise. It was about a 1 MPG improvement over what I usually get. I expected the lighter, smaller tires to help. But I also expected the cargo box to counter that. It may be that driving lower speeds (55-65) due to secondary highways made the cargo box a bit less of an issue?

I only took one LC "selfie" using my wife's cell phone. You can see the cargo box on top. Here are also a couple pics from along the road in Oregon. (If you are interested you can see the other landscape images I captured on the trip by going to drhphoto.smugmug.com, clicking on Browse, then the Landscape gallery and scrolling to the bottom. Primarily pics of the Oregon Coast and Arches/Moab area with snow.)

And if you are interested in the route:
  • For the trip out we had to avoid a closure on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon due to a rock fall so we went southwest from Denver along Highway 285 then picked up US-50 over Monarch Pass and eventually to Grand Junction. From there we took I-70 to Green River, UT then Highway 6 over the Wasatch Mountains via Soldier Pass into Provo and then north to Odgen, UT. That was day one. The next day we drove to Bend, OR along Interstate 84 to Ontario, OR then Highway 20 across to Bend.
  • For the return trip we took a more southerly route from Bend using Highway 78 from Burns to Highway 95 past the Steens Mountains (second picture) to Winnemucca, UT and across to SLC then over to Moab.

Last edited:
A road trip like this really puts the phrase "eating up the miles" in perspective.....The 200 seems eager to do so everytime I get on the road....

Nice pics! Did you do any wheeling along the way?

No real wheeling. I prefer to avoid any serious trails when I have my snow tires on and have the cargo box on. Plus a lot of the trails I hope to explore in Oregon are snowed in this time of year. They'll need to wait until this summer. We did drive to the top of the Gemini Bridges near Moab (not the shelf road but the top end). All snow and mud. Snow/ice was easy in the LC. Mud from snow melt was the touchy part and going to get worse. But kept the momentum up and plowed right through. It was slick mud, not "sticky". That said, it is great to have the truck setup for a road trip on pavement and still be able to take the occasional side trip.

Hello Dan,

Greetings my friend! This was a fantastic write up - I always enjoy reading your posts. It sounds like you had another great trip and covered quite a few miles. Thanks for posting those photos - so beautiful. I will have to jump over to your photo site and look at more. I am a few weeks into ownership and just hit 300 miles. My LR4 goes to its new owner on Saturday, which is rather bittersweet. It's truly the end of an era, but so far I love the LC. I have not looked at the MPGs yet (it's too early), but I did take my dog to the Vet about 45 miles away and it was amazing to drive the LC on the highway. It makes me look forward to a longer trip! :)

As you saw in my previous post, I got the BFG KO2s installed and hope to get the Front Runner drawers in this weekend.

Talk to you soon!

Regards, David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom