Trip report: Flagstaff to Phoenix, mostly on dirt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.finishingtouchaz.com
A buddy and I camped this weekend on the Verde at Childs. Trip started at Stoneman Lake Rd, ended in Cave Creek, via FR's 214 and 16. Everyone had a great time, 1 night camping, just over 100 miles of dirt, and the first real run out for the Minitruck.

FR 214 was extremely rocky, basically driving on rocks... Few challenges were met:

We then camped at the verde in the Childs Power Plant campground. It was extremely packed, but we ran into some people we knew, so it was fun anyways.
Sunday brought the verde river crossing, and FR 16 out to Bloody Basin Rd.

Water was about 30 inches deep, and flowing at 6 cfs.
FR 16 brought no real challenges, but excellent landscapes.

Hit bloody basin rd, then followed FR 24 to cave creek.

6 cfs :confused: looks like a lot more

quite a lot of growth on the river bank - there were no cattails there whatsoever the last time I visited several years ago - when extended camping was still allowed and everything was full of dog**** :mad:

Is that your old 60 your friend is driving?

6 cfs :confused: looks like a lot more

That one flows slowly as its so wide there and tends to be deep when #'s are low further down river.

On another note, I was under the impression they closed the Childs power plant crossing?? I take it I was misinformed if it was packed with campers.. (Seems more like everyone ignores the signs at the top of the hill on the way to the river)

Nice trip for those who have never been that route, if it's not closed

Last edited:
He's added an ARB after hitting a deer.

Looks like a bumpy trip! I didn't know that the ARB could prevent hitting deer! My grandma just had these.

image-107715246.jpg

This is posted going south to north when you start on FR16 off Bloody Basin but in the poster defense nowhere from Childs going south is it posted.

Great trip I did the same route a couple years back. When I crossed flow was 5.8CFS.

IMG_1180.jpg

Childs crossing.jpg

I also notice you had no snorkel during the crossing... isn't 30 inches of water pretty close to swamping the air cleaner? The photos don't look too bad, but if they don't show the deep spots. Just wondering.

I also notice you had no snorkel during the crossing... isn't 30 inches of water pretty close to swamping the air cleaner? The photos don't look too bad, but if they don't show the deep spots. Just wondering.

It was fairly close, the air cleaner/carb was probably about 6 inches above the water line. Thankfully no one had any issues with misfires or stalling. The first part was the deepest, then it got shallower as you continued across. We walked the river first.

Yes, there were no signs posted going south, and we heard that 3 other groups had crossed on Saturday from some campers.

The forest service has been trying to close the crossing at Childs for years. They tried to argue that there was never a legal crossing there, and that that the two roads just happened to dead end right across from each other.

Then someone pointed out that the original road to Childs was the road that crossed the the river. The last I heard the FS still doesn't admit that there is a legal crossing there, but says that the rules against cross country travel are "suspended" at the river crossing for the time being.

That sounds to me like that still hope to close the river crossing some day.

Walking the river ... this sounds way too much like navigating the shallows in my boat. But there I had a sounder. I can see it now, something nautical for front bumpers of serious four-wheelers.

It was fairly close, the air cleaner/carb was probably about 6 inches above the water line. Thankfully no one had any issues with misfires or stalling. The first part was the deepest, then it got shallower as you continued across. We walked the river first.

Yes, there were no signs posted going south, and we heard that 3 other groups had crossed on Saturday from some campers.

The forest service has been trying to close the crossing at Childs for years. They tried to argue that there was never a legal crossing there, and that that the two roads just happened to dead end right across from each other.

Then someone pointed out that the original road to Childs was the road that crossed the the river. The last I heard the FS still doesn't admit that there is a legal crossing there, but says that the rules against cross country travel are "suspended" at the river crossing for the time being.

That sounds to me like that still hope to close the river crossing some day.

Need to see who I need to talk to about FS road 69 (Chavez Pass) off of highway 87. The travel map shows it closed where in crosses Jacks Canyon because of seasonal flowing water. But the new travel map wasn't suppose to close any historical been used for years.

As for this trip I think I would have started behind lower Lake Mary and worked my way to Stoneman Lake road then take I-17 to 260. It seems the road from Rocky Park exit on I-17 down to Stoneman Lake road is now open. It was a closed area for years. Early morning could be a interesting ride with all the wild life.

Drove the pass last year. Pretty drive. Unfortunately I don't know what this years status is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom