Trip report: Cosmic campground camping and Mineral Creek hiking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
This past weekend took us to Southern NM where one of only two dark sky sanctuary location exists at the Cosmic campground, near Reserve NM. You haven't seen stars until you've seen them on a dark night from this place. We were able to see the flaming con trail of a flying star :eek:. The CG is located at a nice location with greenery all around vs a complete dusty, desert area.

We also hiked the Mineral Creek trail that's south of the CG by only 20 minutes. This is a slot canyon hike that follows a creek and the water was flowing big time at this time of the year. We only made it 2.5 miles in but we could've gone further. However, rampant snakes combined with our dogs made the hike a less than pleasant experience for some. I'd like to return during the colder months and hike this canyon to the end. This hike was easy with a mild amount of elevation gain.

The main group went to check out Mogollon ghost town while we did a second hike to the Frisco hot springs located next to the San Francisco river. Unfortunately, the river crested big time last spring (i think) and washed out the springs. We enjoyed the hike and played in the warm water that was getting fed by the hot springs in certain spots. It's a rare opportunity when two people get to enjoy a river all to themselves. This hike was moderate with a 800' elevation gain/loss.

On the way home Jatone and I veered away from the group and headed for Pie town for some delish pie. Those of you who know me shouldn't be surprised by my propensity to dilly dally while looking for pies :cool:. I've never had an Apple pie with pine nuts and green chile until yesterday and it was off the hook. WHO KNEW!

Camper: 2002 Kamparoo Transcontinental Weekender
Tow rig: 2003 4Runner V8

20190928_081006.jpg

20190928_090457.jpg

20190928_122814.jpg

20190928_133132.jpg

DSCN2999.jpg

Last edited:
more

20190929_130855.jpg

20190929_130932.jpg

group shot.jpg

I’ve always wanted to swing through Pie Town.....

Most excellent!

I see the yard sale was out and open for business. :flipoff2:

I see the yard sale was out and open for business. :flipoff2:

You know it baby! Thankfully Jatone made the implosion very quick and efficient Sunday morning.

Last edited:
Sometime during Sat night, she was ready to do her usual wash rag wipe down after hiking all day. Then she stops and says "wait, we have HOT water?" To which my reply was " yup, 20 gallons of it" 🤣

Oh yeah, she's hooked on this style of camping yard sales!
Did you put up the shower curtain? I love that set up!

Remember, you can hit the sack with a dirty crack!

Did you put up the shower curtain? I love that set up!

Remember, you can hit the sack with a dirty crack!

I did, on the other side of the Roo and used the EcoTemp on demand shower deal. Like you, I'm not sure if this is the way to go so a simpler system is in the works. Similar to a solar shower using gravity fed water but with warm water created from the stove or from the EcoTemp. The EcoTemp can almost produce coffee hot water if you let it and it can do it quickly vs heating up water on a stove top and on a smaller amount at one time.

I did, on the other side of the Roo and used the EcoTemp on demand shower deal. Like you, I'm not sure if this is the way to go so a simpler system is in the works. Similar to a solar shower using gravity fed water but with warm water created from the stove or from the EcoTemp. The EcoTemp can almost produce coffee hot water if you let it and it can do it quickly vs heating up water on a stove top and on a smaller amount at one time.

Last Saturday morning, I took my shower using my black bladder bag, and didn't use my solar shower. This worked good, but I do like the hose part on the solar shower. I also like the idea of one less thing, so ditching the solar shower is in the cross hairs.

I may work to just adapt the black bag to add a shower hose (or not). The key is a small trickle of water. 1 gal can get you clean with that euphoric feeling afterwards.

BTW - I didn't see the pix with Jatone and the shower set up. :flipoff2:

Adding this campground to my list of places to go.

I have some astronomy friends that make the trek out there with big scopes to view the dark night skies. One of the darkest areas in NM.
It comes highly recommended for night sky observing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom