Events/Trails Trip Report: Canyonland Maze district May 9-12 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good Luck and take some pics. You are going to my favorite part of the world. Enjoy!! :steer::cheers:

I'd like us to aim for Butler Wash if it isn't too far away but we'll see based on our departure times. :bounce:
Hmm last time I was in Butler Washer we made frozen margaritas!

I looked at the Dirty Devil river on USGS and it's flowing around 94 CFS, which according to the Expo folks is not stupid fast. Still, we'll tie a winch cable to @Poupon and send him to test out the depth and flow :lol: No worries, I'll video the whole thing.

Steve - my hope is to land at Butler Wash late tonight, then do the hike in the morning before setting off for Dirty Devil cross but we'll see. It's gonna be a late night for sure.

So, any updates for those of us stuck in places like, uh, NY?

:lol:

The 2010 trip was epic. I recall it very well.

SANY0087.JPG

group.jpg

@spressomon @alia176 @Cruiserdrew @TrickyT @alvarorb @beno

Trip report:

This trip was EPIC, not sure how else to describe it. We arrived at the Comb wash campground wed night after work, around midnight or so. That was a long trip with a constant head or cross wind.

Thurs morning we got up and headed to Butler wash to hike the ruins. This has to be a favorite hike of mine as there is a massive under cut with a ruin on top. There are couple of ruins along the hike that are worth checking out.l

Ruins ahead.jpg

Ruins1.jpg

Ruins2.jpg

Ruins4.jpg

Ruins5.jpg

Last edited:
After the hike to the ruins we headed to Teapot Rock camp spot in the Maze. The drive is scenic and awe inspiring as you can imagine. The weather was a little chilly and breezy with some sprinkling now and then. This spot has views to the East but is exposed to the elements so having your wind block is bonus.

As we were having breakfast at Comb wash campground Thur morning, we noticed that we had a mouse in my cargo drawer! Apparently he hopped into the rig Wed as we were packing up for the trip. More on this later.

After topping off at the Hite marina, we went over the Colorado river bridge on hwy 95, then pulled off the road to air down.

20190509_152403.jpg

20190509_190021.jpg

20190510_062531.jpg

20190512_054528.jpg

mouse.jpg

Last edited:
After getting up on Friday, we headed to the second spot, Chimney rock. This is where the driving becomes technical and arduous with water falls and under carriage grabbers. This is a 14 mile drive that took us 4 hours with lots of 4low activities. Chimney Rock is also an exposed site and if the weather is calm, the views are just spectacular. Before arriving at Chimney, we stopped at "The Wall" camp spot for lunch and coffee. The day was kinda gloomy and we were feeling the need for some caffeine. This spot has huge views and exposed.
Chimney rock is basically a single rock formation that is a tall column as seen below.

The long wide pic are Panos.

20190510_124157.jpg

20190510_124210.jpg

20190510_124249.jpg

20190510_140258.jpg

Last edited:
So, after checking out Chimney rock camp spot, we headed over to the Dollhouse camp grounds, which is only 4 miles, half hour or easy driving with some 4low action mixed in. After the gang checked out the Dollhouse, we saw that #2 spot was empty. We returned to Chimney rock and I called up Hans Flat ranger station to see if we can grab dollhouse #2 and he said ok. He changed my reservation around so that nobody can grab that spot and opened up Chimney rock spot for others to use. So, we returned to the Dollhouse #2 and setup camp. This spot has to be one of the most interesting spot one can camp at. Check out the pics.

20190510_151400.jpg

20190510_180232.jpg

20190510_194004.jpg

20190510_194015.jpg

Remember that mouse? Well, he came to our party Fri night as we were hanging around the camp. He was walking on the ground, between our feet and feeling quite comfy with his "peeps". Somewhere after few beers and margaritas, we came up with the bright idea of mixing water with hot sauce then putting that on all four wheels. This *should* prevent the mouse from climbing.

Somewhere around 3:30am, I heard Larry's doors closing/opening but thought nothing of it. At 6:30, i get up and see that Larry is already sipping coffee. He tells me that the mouse has moved into his rig and proceeded to climb all over him while he slept in his rig :rofl:. He's been up since 3:30 but he did manage to trap the mouse in his cargo drawer. Unfortunately, the mouse took a nibble out of his down jacket. We managed to herd the mouse to a tool bag which was quickly zipped up. The mouse was relocated 100' from the vehicles then we headed for Panorama Point to meet up with Dan and Julie.

20190510_180209.jpg

20190510_194020.jpg

20190510_203501.jpg

Last edited:
Sat morning we headed to the Panorama point which was approx 50 miles away, and took 7.5 hours. We went by Chimney rock, then Teapot rock and eventually to dirt roads on the valley floor. There is a considerable amount of 4low action between the Dollhouse and Teapot Rock. We passed view rigs who pulled over due to them being stock and slow. I'd recommend sliders at the very min for this part of the trail.

Our journey took us to the top of the mesas using the famous Flint trail. This trail is not for the timid as is a shelf road with three switchbacks. Part of the trail is super steep and can be a butt clencher if you aren't comfortable with heights. Just google Flint trail switchbacks and you'll see plenty of pics and vids. If there's any hint of impending rain or a heavy rain the night before, I'd skip out on this trail. The mud would make this trail too scary for me, anyway.

The weather on Sat was perfect with light breeze and Panorama point was a spiritual experience for me. You can sit on the edge and take in views 360º and ponder life. After a nice dinner with the gang sat night we turned in with nice temps.

Sun morning we ate breakfast while Dan made us some awesome cappuccino before we parted ways with Dan/Julie who were fixing to start hiking to Cleopatra's chair camp spot. They were going to the Overlook camp spot for that night which meant that they'll have to descend the Flint trail.

Finally, we hit the road for home and 12 hours later we arrived safely. The drive was easy due to a strong tail wind just about all the way home.

The first pic below is a quick lunch stop on the valley floor before we started our ascend to the Flint trail.

20190511_125527.jpg

20190511_174126.jpg

20190511_174233.jpg

20190511_200428.jpg

20190511_200751.jpg

Last edited:
After thoughts:

-I topped off at the Hite's fuel stop before heading into the maze so that makes my total fuel to be 50 gallons but I think I could've gotten away with 40 gallons of fuel. This is because we exited near the Hans Flat ranger station then had the option of acquiring fuel at Hanksville, UT. If we were to exit Canyonlands via some other exit, 50 gallons might have been required, I dunno :meh:

-This trip totally brought to light how toasted my OME Sport shocks were after six years of abuse. While we were in 4low, the 80 body was pitching and lurching all over the place. As the shocks got more heated, they simply stopped controlling the body which made us slow down quite a bit. According to the IR temp gun, my front shocks were at 140º and rear was at 130º which explained the shock fading issue. New shocks are being investigated right now!

- The Maze district is pristine and that's due to their strict regulations. There were no trash anywhere and no tire tracks off the main trails. People who make this journey are ethical and respect the rules from what it seems. Each campsite has old, trees laying on the ground which really added to the ambiance. If camp fires were allowed, the trees would've been gone. Additionally, there weren't any "TP" huts and again, that's due to the "pack in/pack out" rules they enforce.

Still, it's a bummer that dogs aren't allowed but I get it. Also, no drone flying allowed either. They simply want the campers to have the best experience this area offers and that's what we got.

Stats:
Hwy 95 turn off to Teapot rock: 34 miles, 2:44
Teapot rock to Chimney rock: 14 miles, 4:19 (4 hours, 19 min)
Chimney rock to Dollhouse: 4 miles, 37 min
Dollhouse to Panorama point: 48 miles, 7:31
Panorama point to Hanksville by Hans Flat ranger station: 57 miles, 3:52
Total Fuel useage (from home back to home): 112 gallons
Total mileage: 1,102 miles

Maze map google.JPG

Last edited:
Ash: Did you notice if there was diesel at Hite Crossing?

I don't care about no sticking gas. :lol:

Yup, you're good to go with Diesel at Hite.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing and especially the details about the stow-away.

Last edited:
Glad you and the mouse had an epic trip. great pics, now for some new shocks. Thanks for showing us this fantastic area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom