Events/Trails Trip Report: Canyonland Maze district May 9-12 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I was able to pull a permit for three rigs to go to the Maze district of Canyonlands in UT. Due to the restrictions of this park, we're allowed to have only three rigs/nine people at a camp ground. With the exception of the Doll House and the Maze Overlook, all camp sites can accommodate three rigs only, which is a huge bummer. More detail here Four-Wheel-Drive Roads in the Maze - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service) I can pull more permits but we won't be able to travel or camp together :bang:

I'd like us to plan ahead and pull a permit(s) for the White Rim Trail for this coming Fall, 2019. Which means that we need to pick a date in Oct/Nov then back up four months and set ourselves a calendar reminder to pull permit(s). White Rim fills out fast due to the MTB tour groups that snatch up the group sites quickly. White Rim is inside the Island in the Sky district and they have multiple sites at each camping location which is why it's so popular. White Rim Road - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service) .

I'll start a new thread on White Rim trail conversations.

So far it's Poupon, Me and @spressomon on this permit. We'll pick up Spresso on Sat sometimes near the Hans Flat ranger station then head to 3rd night's spot.

For folks who are interested in these types of trips into the Canyonland system, the following is a good rule of thumb:
- extra fuel
- Wag bag toilet system (rules of Canyonlands)
- no pets (rules of Canyonlands)
-campfire in your own fire container (rules of Canyonlands)
-your own shade
-many gallons of water
-decent set of A/T tires at min for airing down
-large tires and lift not necessary.
-able to drive on the hwy for hours and hours comfortably - BONUS

I was able to secure camp spots for the following:
1st night - Tea Pot rock
2nd night - Chimney Rock
3rd night - Panorama point

We have to enter the park through the Hans Flat ranger station and grab our permit during business hours on Thur May 9th . We'll top off at Hanksville, UT then go to the Ranger station and stay inside the Maze district until Sunday. This will amount of 215 miles of total driving distance with most of it aired down and some of it will be in 4low. So, my guess is to have a fuel range of 350 miles so that we can be afforded side trips and get lost mileage! Getting lost is a favorite thing of mine actually.

GMap link

Did the Maze a couple of years ago, back to back with the White Rim.
Can't recommend it enough (especially when your wife drives the sag wagon so you can ride!).

20170921_153520.jpg

I can't make it. But, for those folks that can … this is spectacular country. Even if you can't make it with Ash, you need to add the Maze District to your bucket list. Doll House rocks!

Last edited:
I can't make it. But, for those folks that can … this is spectacular country. Even if you can't make it with Ash, you need to add the Maze District to your bucket list. Doll House rocks!

It's definitely on the list. When my kids get a little older I'll start taking them on these longer trips.

I'm looking forward to pictures of the trip.

I tried to get the Dollhouse camp sites but no go :bang: That's my favorite destination inside the Maze district. One year with @spressomon , @alvarorb made some delish Paella at the camp ground. It was epic!!! As usual, spresso provided top notch Cappuccino every morning. :bounce:

If you can, try returning via NP 730/ BLM 15000. Crossroads at NP 633/NP730/NP756 . This road takes you down to the Dirty Devil River crossing and out through South Hatch Canyon and after crossing the Dirty Devil river you will exit west through Poison Spring Canyon. You return to pavement on Hwy 95 about 1/2 way between Hite and Hanksville, Utah. Great scenery, travels through deep canyons. Returning to this road is on my bucket list.

Thank you for the suggest Jeff! It all depends on how fast the Dirty Devil river is flowing next month, given the amount of snow CO and UT has received in the higher elevation but it's in the back of my mind. I'll get a flow report when we pick up the permit just to get a warm & fuzzy. It's a shallow crossing but river crossings garner the highest amount of respect from me. I agree, that canyon is quite beautiful to drive through. Oh, the other thing is how much fuel we still got left by that time :doh:

Found a pic from back in 2010. Let's see if any of the old time HDC members can ID the participants in this pic!

Dirty devil river.JPG

Is there still a gas station at Hite? Gas is a problem out in that area. A couple of friends and I spent 4 days camped up in the Henry Mts and did all kinds of loops in that area and Hite was the only place besides Hanksville for gas . We carried an extra 10 gals of gas and lots of H2O.

Yeah, Hite still has gas, as of last year anyway!

Nice plan Ali!
Sounds like my kind of adventure, If I can get some much needed maintenance done on the "FJ40 overland cruiser" I'd love to go, provided there are a few more rigs to convoy with?!

Hey Gabriel - my permit only allows three rigs and that's filled up. Unfortunately, a second permit still wouldn't allow us to travel together due to not able to camp in the same spots together :(

Last edited:
Ali,
The USGS measurements for the Dirty Devil seem accurate, but I don't know how to compare my measurements when we crossed it at that spot.
We used the time tested, "Rock, Paper, Scissors" DETERMINATION, and I lost. So, I took off my boots and waded out into the river and with a local stick, I probed the middle part of the river. My friend determined we could cross without incident, which we did. He had a good laugh. He had to wait while I dried off my feet so I could put my socks back on. So, the joke was on him, maybe.
RESULTS: About one foot deep, and about 15 ft across. The flow was fine for wading. Your results may vary.
Enjoy your trip, you absolutely cannot go wrong with anywhere in that part of UTAH.

Geez, I just had an evil thought. Too bad I have a project going on at the house or I would have met you all at Hans Flat. I could use a hike down Horseshoe canyon.

Geez, I just had an evil thought. Too bad I have a project going on at the house or I would have met you all at Hans Flat. I could use a hike down Horseshoe canyon.

Hmmm........

The permits have been issued, printed, signed, scanned and emailed to Larry and Dan. Sometimes this later afternoon, Larry and I will be heading out of Burque for some random camp spot in UT. I'd like us to aim for Butler Wash if it isn't too far away but we'll see based on our departure times. :bounce:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom