Trip planning advice (next week) - Prescott / Sedona / Flagstaff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
Thinking about taking the family up to Prescott/Sedona/Flagstaff next week for a few days. Probably get a VRBO/AirBNB and use it as a home base to spend time around the area. Maybe a day or two in Sedona, GC for a day, not sure what else. Looking for input.

In Sedona, will want to do Broken Arrow and Schnebly Hill, maybe a hike (is West Fork still a good hike?), as well as a drive out of town up the 89A. Typical tourist stuff in GC. Hoping for some ideas beyond that.

Will be in the Cruiser so 4x4 ok. May bring a couple MTBs for a short ride.

Does anyone have an opinion about a VRBO in Flagstaff? Are there better locations/options I should be considering? There are couple closer to Sedona but they are quite a bit more $. As an alternative, does anyone have a rental available next week? (PM me if so please).

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

Thanks I considered Cottonwood, but I'm not seeing much there. There are units in Munds Park, but no quick access to Sedona. Looks like an hour drive. Same as Flagstaff.

There are a couple less expensive units in Flagstaff that we are looking at. Any particular part of town to stay away from?

What about Kachina Village? I am seeing a couple units there as well.

Minds Park is short distance north from Schnebly Hill exit on I-17. Kachina Village can cut down to 89A just north of the switchbacks. Last month there was a delay on the switchbacks which are probably still there. This is automatic traffic signals 24/7. Ws there on Saturday and could be worse during the week during construction.

Last month there was a delay on the switchbacks which are probably still there. This is automatic traffic signals 24/7. Ws there on Saturday and could be worse during the week during construction.

Good info. Thanks!

I live in kachina, there are a ton of short term rentals here. There is a really nice one across from my house

You can take fr237 from kachina to 89a just before the switchbacks to Sedona. It’s about 40 mins from here to Sedona. From what I have heard the construction on 89 is not bad right now.

Cottonwood is a good option too, we have stayed in a few rentals right near down town that were cheap and decent

Thanks all. We reserved a place in Kachina.

Looking forward to getting away. Hopefully the weather will hold, forecast looks ok. Hopefully the fall colors will be in full display based on some of the pictures in other threads.

Hopefully the fall colors will be in full display based on some of the pictures in other threads.

Have a feeling a week ago Saturday was the prime time for fall colors. Few nights below freezing, some rain and last couple days with high winds have lost a bunch leaves on the oaks on the property. Last twenty four hours the brown needles in the Ponderosa Pines have covered the ground. The maples I had pictures of are east of SR-87 along the rim. Aspens would be north of Flagstaff around the peaks. @Pitch might have a update? Further west along the rim not sure where other oaks would go. Oaks are everywhere.

Fall colors would be nice. Hopefully there will still be some. But we are going to just get away so it should be a good trip regardless.

The oaks are changing now, and should be good next weekend, but all of the aspens and maples shed their color in the rain, and 60 mph winds this weekend. The SF Peaks are covered in snow down to 9000’ or so, but I would expect that to melt by next weekend as well. (Report from Flagstaff)

Do you think it will still be pleasant next week even though the leaves have fallen and we are getting into the cooler season? Will it be a bit chilly and windy? Hard to tell from the weather report.

Do you think it will still be pleasant next week even though the leaves have fallen and we are getting into the cooler season? Will it be a bit chilly and windy? Hard to tell from the weather report.
I think Flagstaff will be pleasant (57 and no wind at 7k feet is shorts and tshirt weather for me). Sedona and the Verde Valley will be great as well, 12-16 deg warmer than Flag and Kachina. Fall colors in Oak Creek Canyon should be improving. Do bring coats though, it will be below freezing at night.

We were mid twenties last night. Already in the thirties now. Sun goes down and cools off quick.

We were mid twenties last night. Already in the thirties now. Sun goes down and cools off quick.
Yep. Camped out last Friday night 10/21/22 just off Schnebly Hill Rd W of 17, got down to 39 that night but no wind. That was over 6100 ft, I imagine a bit cooler now. Perfect camping weather right now in my opinion👍

Yep. Camped out last Friday night 10/21/22 just off Schnebly Hill Rd W of 17, got down to 39 that night but no wind. That was over 6100 ft, I imagine a bit cooler now. Perfect camping weather right now in my opinion👍
We had nineteen degrees over night. Been below freezing over night forore than a week,
mostly in the mid twenties.

We are staying in kachina village and it's been under 30 at night. Too cold for tent camping for a San Diego native :)

Hiked cathedral rock yesterday, and hopefully devils bridge and soldier pass today or tomorrow. Drove broken arrow this morning and got a nice little Camry dent in the rear bumper plastic. Should come out with a heat gun and some massaging.

Made it home safely. We had a good trip. Appreciate all the great advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom