Events/Trails Trip: Kerr lake CO, Aug 28-30 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I'll be taking five rigs to Kerr lake in CO via Elwood pass on Fri aug 28. This is a hard trail so you'll need 33" min and 4low. We'll depart ABQ Fri morning, not sure the time as of yet. We can nail this down as the day approaches but we need to hit the trail soonish as it gets clogged with UTVs and the like heading up the pass. We'll be airing down near this spot then heading up Elwood pass to the lake. This is NOT a trailer friendly trip going up Elwood pass.

At this time, I'm limiting this trip to five rigs due to the need for distancing and availability of camping spots. I have a large opening area in mind at the lake, assuming it's not taken. If it is taken, then we'll need to grab spots at other spots on an individual basis as the lake doesn't offer flat, level spots in abundance. There are only six spots at this lake and plenty of open land away from the lake where you can camp. We'll head home via Platoro, CO instead of going back down Elwood pass so that you can get a good idea of the area.

This is an alpine lake, which means it's nearly 11k elevation so bring appropriate gear and a hammock and your fishing gear. It's a catch and release lake using artificial lures ONLY. If you're into fishing, please bring up fish from Smith's so that I can eat freshly cooked fish in the wild after you're done fishing :rofl: .

Yes, the water in this lake is frigid so if you're onto polar plunges, you're in luck. I'm not sure if camp fires are allowed so we'll have to check on that as there is plenty of bark beetle kill in this forest :(

Bring your hiking shoes, trek poles, MTBs, SUPs, hydration packs, sun hats, Kayaks, dogs, etc. I now own an adapter for inflating SUPs and kayaks using my OBA. The last time I was there, I spent WAY too much pumping that stupid thing to 20 psi :bang:

1 - Ali
2 - Larry
3 - Frank
4 - Matt B.
5 - David

Standby: Juan, Ron

Last edited:
There is good fishing in that area!

Vince

Don’t count me against your total number... I don’t wanna deprive anyone the chance to camp n fish. I cannot stay overnight but If I can get off work for Friday I may shadow you guys up then head back or run up early Saturday then head back. Been trying to get up there all summer this makes for a good justification to go.

I may attempt to do the same as Grant, if you think there will be room enough for two additional rigs?

What do you think Ali?

Looks like a great trip you have planned. Hope all goes well. We were in Chama this week and I visited with a guy who has gone up to Platero Lake fishing and he loves that area. Looks like Kerr lake is more remote. Have some fun.

I may attempt to do the same as Grant, if you think there will be room enough for two additional rigs?

What do you think Ali?

Bring it

can't afford two mandatory weeks off from the Lab :(

I got a weekend pass. I have Friday off and don’t have to be home until Sunday. Yippee!

Planning to leave Friday, maybe with the group if it is alright, and stay until Sunday. Possibly drive out via Platoro, again with the group if it is okay.

I plan to camp somewhere around Kerr Lake, away from the group if there is not room.

Ali can you please put me down as a standby behind Juan.

can't afford two mandatory weeks off from the Lab :(
I feel your pain, from the other lab.

Does everyone else just ignore Dictator Grisham's quarantine mandate since you're leaving the state?

Does everyone else just ignore Dictator Grisham's quarantine mandate since you're leaving the state?

Hell yeah I do! That little Napoleonic tramp needs to be ignored. Quarantine is for sick people. She doesn't even follow her own mandates.

Subjects follow orders, citizens obey the LAW!

The Lab (my directorate) has there own policy that is a bit more involved. In this case the 14 day isolation would not apply for me as long as I avoid certain situations.

Vince

I want to ignore her but loyalty to my bosses supercede her authority

I want to ignore her but loyalty to my bosses supercede her authority
My employer (the other lab) is mandating a 14-day quarantine if I leave the state for any personal reason unless I have official duties that are mission critical which I must be able to come on-site for. Also, if I leave the state for official travel, then I don't have to quarantine but I get to jump through a lot of other hoops. Official travel is only being approved for very rare occasions.

Are you expected to manage your personal time so it doesn't affect your work? My fed employer hasn't gone that far, but I am working from home and easy to quarantine anyway. The responsible thing to do if you are traveling is to get a covid test when you return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom