Trimming Fender Liners = Rust Concerns? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I recently had a set of SCS F5 wheels installed on 285/75/16 tires. Due to the offset of the wheels (+10mm), I had to do the "pinch weld mod" and trim some of the front fender liners in order to keep the tires from rubbing at nearly full lock.

I tried to use a heat gun to re-form the fender liners first, but it was a no go, so I ended up trimming them near the pinch-weld area.

I did hit the hammered pinch weld with some Rust-Oleum undercoating spray on both sides, but I'm wondering how big of a concern rust will be in that area now that it is exposed to dirt, mud, water, etc since the fender liner is no longer there to protect it?

Any suggestions? Maybe just re-apply the undercoating spray periodically? Maybe this is a non-issue .... but I thought I'd ask y'all and get your input.

Thanks in advance!

Hey All,

I recently had a set of SCS F5 wheels installed on 285/75/16 tires. Due to the offset of the wheels (+10mm), I had to do the "pinch weld mod" and trim some of the front fender liners in order to keep the tires from rubbing at nearly full lock.

I tried to use a heat gun to re-form the fender liners first, but it was a no go, so I ended up trimming them near the pinch-weld area.

I did hit the hammered pinch weld with some Rust-Oleum undercoating spray on both sides, but I'm wondering how big of a concern rust will be in that area now that it is exposed to dirt, mud, water, etc since the fender liner is no longer there to protect it?

Any suggestions? Maybe just re-apply the undercoating spray periodically? Maybe this is a non-issue .... but I thought I'd ask y'all and get your input.

Thanks in advance!

The liner wouldn't be my main concern, but the hammered weld is. I think keeping that area nice and greasy/oily is a good call. If it were me, I'd clean the inner area of the hammered metal with a brush and soap/water like I were trying to eat of it. Once it's as clean as can be, get it nice and dry, then paint it. Once the paint dries, I'd slap a dab of grease into the area and re-dress it every so often.

Bodies of the 100's rust pretty good if there's exposed steel. Hammering that pinch weld exposes some steel that's tough to protect once the metal is folded over.

I'd say keep an eye on the areas you sprayed over time. Shouldn't be an issue but you're bound to have rocks eventually chip away at the paint. Best to keep it sprayed to avoid any problems, and obviously prep the area, like @suprarx7nut said, before spraying to get optimal paint adhesion.

I think having the fender liner makes rust more prone to occur in that area. The liner doesn’t completely seal it off, so junk still gets back there and just sits.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this. I'll keep an eye on it, keep the area clean(ish) and periodically hit it with some underbody coating.

I spent a long time finding a solid rust free 1 owner California 100 series .... so I'd really like to keep it that way.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom