Trim detaching on LX top hatch. How would you reattach? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
I've had my LX 470 for a couple of years and this piece of trim has veeerrry slowly been detaching itself from the top hatch. At one point, I stuck some thin 3M double-sided adhesive in there, thinking it would do the trick. Didn't work at all. Basically, my thought would be to fully remove the trim from the hatch, remove any of the old stuff holding it on, and then align/reattach it with some kind of adhesive that will never come off again. I really just want to do this once and make it impossible for it to detach again. Is there some super double sided tape out there? RTV? Careful application of Gorilla glue? Part of the issue here is that it won't sit completely flush since there is a slight curve to the hatch, so I assume a super-sticky tape that immediately adheres would be the best option. Thoughts?

A2112208-F972-4600-9351-FF036F279825.jpeg

B363B45B-77EE-462E-880C-743BB5A2C112.jpeg

You happen to have the part number? $80 sucks, but I might just go look this up. I will probably try to reattach it first, but if all else fails I guess I could get a new one. It came with the sticky material right?

Mine did the same thing around 190,000 miles. I bought a new one and it came with 3M commercial adhesive if I recall correctly. It was already attached to the chrome trim on one side. The old adhesive leftover was a bear to remove even with razor blade.

You'll have to remove the entire thing and clean up any old adhesive/foam from the hatch and the trim piece. The 3M red heavy duty double sided tape will not hold that on if you're trying to stick it to old foam or a dirty area. If you want it to be permanently attached, remove, clean and use RTV; it will never come off again.

Delivered in 2 days wrapped up insanely securely and comes with new adhesive. Sucks to pay that much but its not going anywhere. Also when you pull off the old trim it has two plastic "buttons" that most likely will break off and thats a major anchor point.

Delivered in 2 days wrapped up insanely securely and comes with new adhesive. Sucks to pay that much but its not going anywhere. Also when you pull off the old trim it has two plastic "buttons" that most likely will break off and thats a major anchor point.

Shipped from United Arab Emirates....

You'll have to remove the entire thing and clean up any old adhesive/foam from the hatch and the trim piece. The 3M red heavy duty double sided tape will not hold that on if you're trying to stick it to old foam or a dirty area. If you want it to be permanently attached, remove, clean and use RTV; it will never come off again.
The 3M tape will work

Amazon product ASIN B000BO913C

I would recommend using braided fishing line to remove the emblem, then thoroughly clean both surfaces and use the heavy duty 3m double sided tape (Black not grey). That stuff works very well and I have never had an emblem come loose once secured with that stuff. The surfaces do have to be very clean though.
Cheers,
Scot

All I'm saying is it was the exact model number as partsouq and feels sturdy and high quality. Im happy

Same here. Bought mine from the same place. My old one plastic chrome coating had bubbled and peeled off. Looked shabby, so a new one was my stocking stuffer gift for Christmas.

Now the Lexus logo has fallen off, so I have to clean that up and will use 3M plastic emblem adhesive.

I should just find Toyota name emblem instead. LOL

LX version of the 100 is nice though, just not the brand name.

Last edited:
Remove the trim, clean off the old tape, clean with alcohol and apply new 3M VHB tape. It will not come off again.

The tape removes best in shear - not in peeling - so try sliding it along the panel instead of pulling away from panel. I've found best way to remove the old tape is to roll it with your fingers, a little at a time. Try to roll it into a "log" shape and let the adhesive remain on the foam, otherwise you'll be spending time with GooGone trying to dissolve the adhesive residue.

New trim piece is $90-ish including shipping.
7/8" 3M super strength tape is $7.88.

Going to give the tape a try first. If the result isn't what I want, I'm sure I'll use the rest of the tape on some other project eventually, and I'll order the whole replacement part.

Thanks everyone.

Take a fish line and cut through the remaining glue to get the whole piece off. Clean up any residue and apply it back with either 3M tape or JB plastic weld.

Wanted to post the final outcome. I ordered "3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 03615, 7/8 in x 5 ft" from Amazon for $8. Got all of the old residue off the trim and the body. Cut the tape into sections and adhered it. It was cold outside so I waved a heat gun over the area and the trim first. Stuck it on. It's been a month and holding strong. Cost 10x less than replacing the part. Looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom