Tried to shift into low while going 10mph - cringe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could this have caused any damage that I should look into? I was going 10mph, coasting in neutral, and tried to shift into low. I thought I had heard you could make that shift so long as all the wheels were spinning the same speed. However, it made a nasty grinding noise and I quickly let up.

Switching from high to low and vice versa works fine still, all the diffs still lock, appears nothing lasting happened. Just checking any potential problems I should expect, as I have only been an LC owner since last Saturday!

It should be ok, just dont do it again unless your stopped...oh and welcome to the club!!!
Scott

No syncros in the transfer box. You can't shift high/low on the move. You will have a few extra metal shavings floating in the transfer box oil now :)

You need to be a) stopped and b) auto selector in Neutral or Park before you shift the transfer box to low or to high.

On part time 4wds you can shift 2H <-> 4H (if hubs are engaged and wheels are spinning at same speed) - maybe that's what you'd heard...

cheers,
george.

It feels great to be in the club! Thanks woodsman. Going by your name, we obviously share two passions

That must be it George, and I will not be doing that again! Thanks for the timely advice.

So we are all in agreement that I don't need to take it in?

Damage, if any is already done-just keep a drivin it!

And if you have your owner's manual, it's a boring, but good geeky read with a lot of useful information and a lot of not so useful information

Alrighty. I just don't want it to stop working when I need it most.

Damage, if any is already done-just keep a drivin it!

And if you have your owner's manual, it's a boring, but good geeky read with a lot of useful information and a lot of not so useful information

IIRC the transfer case has a very small amount of lube, even compared to the diffs; may be a good idea to make sweet valentines day time for your significant other (I mean the 'crusher) and change that out as penance.

:flipoff2:welcome BTW

Pretty much like everybody had said, don't do it again! Other than that, welcome to the club.

Ahhh, Nothing beats the sound of a very expensive piece of machinery eating itself! Welcome to the "oops" club.

TK

Correct and well put! That just brought a smile to my face :)

This little "oops" moment encouraged me to have all the fluids changed, something I should do anyways. I figure I will have balanced my karma out that way.

I have the chance to go from H4 to L4 in my 60 series .. at really low speed and sire with pretty much care there is a point in when you can " feel " and the L go ..

Sure are totally diferent t-cases .. one day I will try in my 80 and see what happend .. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom