trie chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i need tire chain edumacation please

what's the difference between diamond style and plain horizontal chain?

what will ride better?

they'll be used for snow covered roads when CalTrans says i have to put them on to get to the ski slopes. it's conceivable i'll use them in mud some day, which makes the RUD chains attractive because they can be installed without moving the vehicle, except to retighten.

my Criser is an 89 FJ62, open diffs, with 33x9.5 BFG AT KO tires, OME lift and that's about it...

http://www.rudchain.com/snow/grip4.htm

http://www.tirechain.com/VBAR.htm

advice and experience appreciated, thanks

Here's my 2 cents...

I am by no means an expert...but this is what I've picked up.

For off-road/wheelin' use...I'd go with the V-Bar. A guy in my club has them...VERY aggressive, and tough.

For on-road, non-wheelin': I'd go Rud4x4.

For combo...I'd go Rudd...

THAT being said, Bill Burke uses the Rud Chains for wheelin' purposes as I read on his site. He's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about wheelin', etc...

HTH

Oh I am total opposite.

The rud is the offroad one.

For on roads, to not be tooo annoying, the simple one in the second link is the one I would pick. Not too aggressive and would satisfy the need for chains on a slippery road.

no advice on the chains...

I am down in the bay area as well and go to Tahoe quite often. They told me that as long as I have 4wd I am okay and they wave me through.

I use both on my truck, I put the v bars on the back for digging in power and I put the diamonds on the front because the front to back( the non lateral) sections help the tires steer properly in downhill turns. I have found that lateral chains can slide sideways on slippery snow and ice ( although vbars are much better than non V'd chains)

This is my setup for the terrifying wet snow on top of wet ice on top of gravel we get in the Coastal BC area.

If I was driving a lot on paved roads - especially if they were mixed snowy and plowed - I'd go with the Diamond pattern all round - they are much smoother on the highway and can go much faster without damage. The V Bars on pavement make any vehicle feel and sound like a WW2 vintage tank.

no advice on the chains...

I am down in the bay area as well and go to Tahoe quite often. They told me that as long as I have 4wd I am okay and they wave me through.

yep, they do. i've cruised right past the chain check stations in my audi with barely a pause. however if there are chain requirements in place for other cars a 4x4 vehicle is REQUIRED to at least carry chains, even in the audi where the manual specifically states to never use chains, even on all 4 wheels as it can damage the quattro system. does it get checked? nope, but i'd rather not get that fine just in case.

also, at an R3 level even 4x4 are requred to use chains. i don't want to be out in an R3 situation (roads usually get closed before this state anyway), but if push comes to shove i'd like to be able to get back to the cabin with my beer and maybe a hottie in the hot tub ya know?

getting chains is more of a contingency thing, keeping bases covered etc etc etc

thanks for the tips so far, diamonds sound like the way to go

regular old chains will work fine for getting to the slopes. you probably won't even use them. should be a 3210 chain for a 33x9.5/10.5. be sure to get cam style so you don't have to deal with the bungee tighteners

oooo....ove the dual setup.

Niiice....makes total sense to me...ruds up front, v-bar out back.

Why didn't I Think of that...d'oh!

think about these ..

Normal paralel chains ( lite a helicopter stair ) are for off road use only coz they ofer like nothing of lateral traccion .. are like a bogger.

In the other hand you have the diamond style chains that offer less front movement traction .. but also offer lateral traccion, it means better stering control and lateral skid.

think about these ..

Normal paralel chains ( lite a helicopter stair ) are for off road use only coz they ofer like nothing of lateral traccion .. are like a bogger.

they're not off road only. every tractor trailer fleet in america runs parallel chains and they run chains more on road than almost every passenger vehicle.

regular old chains will work fine for getting to the slopes. you probably won't even use them. should be a 3210 chain for a 33x9.5/10.5. be sure to get cam style so you don't have to deal with the bungee tighteners

it's a piece of mind thing, caltrans closes roads before 4x4 NEEDS chains.

cam style... like the RUD ones i linked above?

i've dealt with the rubber tensioners before... sucktastic.

I don't trust the cam tighteners & use the rubber bungee anyway.

Just ordered a set of HD chains from tirechain.com so I can actually plow my driveway. 44# a pair for 33x10.50x15s!

it's a piece of mind thing, caltrans closes roads before 4x4 NEEDS chains.

cam style... like the RUD ones i linked above?

i've dealt with the rubber tensioners before... sucktastic.

these are cams. i don't know why tinker doesn't trust cams. rising sun members have been using them for years on our snow runs with no issues. i don't trust the chain tighteners because they snap too easily. course if they didn't, i couldn't sell brake lines, chambers,etc, so i hope people keep buying them :D
DSC00315.JPG

Plain old "ladder" cross chain tire chains can be installed without moving/lifting the rig too.

If it is bad enough to actually need chains on the road, you won't be worrying about a little more vibration.

No mater what sort of chains I use, I always tension them. I use either two or three heavy duty rubber bungie straps (with hooks on each end) stretched across the outside of the tires, or parachute cord rigged the same way. Off road you might snag them on something, but on road these will not fail on you. Apply your tensioners AFTER you have taken all the slack out of the chain. Check them again after driving a couple hundred feet.

Mark...

they're not off road only. every tractor trailer fleet in america runs parallel chains and they run chains more on road than almost every passenger vehicle.

I never drive in ice road .. ( frozen ) but in mud ( that's all my chain experience ) have low lateral traccion .. and I thought was far more necesari in frozen roads ..

I think he means that his differentials are not locked and that they are the stock limited slip differentials.
Fish

I think he means that his differentials are not locked and that they are the stock limited slip differentials.
Fish

yes, stock differentials but they are difinitely not limited slip.

open means ummm i don't know where that term came.

in an open diff there is nothing preventing one wheel from spinning forever once it loses traction while the other side isn't spining at all. limited slip differentials or auto lockers (detroit for example) force some of the torque to shift from the spinning wheel to the stationary wheel.

horrible explanation, search is your friend :bounce:

So I visited tirechains.com and am considering V-bar medium duty two link. These are sold without cams. Does this mean that two link chains do not need cams or that they are just not included in the price?

I don't know much about chains but I have a healthy repsect for ice on the roads.

ANy info appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom