Tricks for removing 28 year old brake hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Need to remove the frame-axle rear brake hose. That thing is seriously buggered on there. Use a 16mm right? Anyway, any tricks for removing this? I almost started breaking things before I decided to stop last night.

Soak it with plenty of PB Blaster, Kroil, or equivalent prior to the work. Flare nut wreches help, unless the flats are all torn up. Sometimes it helps to work it in both directions, slowly and gently.

Use a tubing wrench or flarenut wrench (same thing) if it's not rounded. If it is rounded about the only chance would be to carefully grab it with a pair of small vicegrips. Small back and forth works sometimes. Be patient with it.

if flare wrench starts stripping, try vice grips, from there, just plan on new parts.

Given the cheap cost of new parts I'd just break it to get it outa the way of the new stuff. Cut the hard line where it's clean enough to join a new piece of line in and go from there...

Nick

I agree with zebra, I had the same problem. Was just easier for me to cut old off and put a new one on.

i agree as well, probably needs to be replaced anyway, i re did all lines on my rig, pretty easy and cheap. worth doing

it looks harder than it is, when i started i thought no way, but you do one and its like that was easy why didnt i do this 5 years ago.

good luck

come on guys he's in arizona not NY... couple shots of PB and it should come right off if it's always been an az rig. My colorado ones i've never had a problem with after a couple days of hitting it with PB and using a flare wrench.

It was a CO truck for much of its life, AZ the last few years to permanently preserve its condition :). Body isn't great but frame et cetera is very good.

I was replacing the front & rear with new longer hosing. I need to go find a 16mm flare. Problem is I start bending the mounting frame bracket when I turn it. It's been soaking in penetrating oil for a while now, tonight'll be the night.

Oh year now I remember, the soft line to the hard on the ps side frame for the rear axle. That one is always a biotch.. Try to hold the other end of it so it doesn't twist. might try some heat too.

Last edited:
If your going to replace the hose; I would cut the hose so I could use a regular socket to remove it. That way you get more surface area on the nut and less chance of rounding the head.

I vote 17mm

Just picked up a 17mm flare end today. Tonight I'll give it a shot. I don't care about the hose really, but only if it is REALLY stuck then I can't drive it at all, so want my worst case scenario safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom