Tricks for installing a drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday after work I was defeated trying to install my rear drive shaft.

How can you get the drive shaft to spin freely? I had transfer case and the gear shifter in neutral and I still couldn’t spin it to match up the holes. It was very frustrating for such a simple task.:mad::mad:

Oh maaan... Just lift one of your rear wheels.

EDIT:

T-case in N (transmission gear does not matter, but is usually P)

If you want to remove the shaft just lift one wheel off the ground, even half an inch is enough. Keep it like that.
When you need to unscrew the bolts, ask someone to press the brake and the drive shaft will be frozen in place.
Yell from under the truck to step off the brake and you will be able to rotate the shaft by hand to gain access to the next bolt (remember, one wheel up and transfer case in N). This way you can undo all 8 bolts (2x4).

Assembly is just the reverse of it. So to sum it all up, with one rear wheel off the ground and transfer case in N, you can rotate both flanges (t-case and diff) by hand to align them. Stepping on the brake lets you tighten the bolts.

Last edited:
Thinking out loud here, but could that mean a seized viscous coupler??

I had my CDL engaged so I don't think so. What would be the symptoms of a seized viscous coupler?

Guys, Thanks the tips!!!!

I had my CDL engaged so I don't think so. What would be the symptoms of a seized viscous coupler?

Oh. Well, that would explain it!

Why did you have your CDL engaged? That's exactly what was preventing you from rotating the TC driveshaft flange.

Seized VC would have had the same effect.

I put a couple chocks a foot or so from my tire, and rolled the truck to rotate the driveshaft. It rolls pretty easily, but still enough momentum that I could torque on the bolts without the driveshaft turning.

Truck will roll without it locked. If you're on a sloped driveway, that's bad.

Yeah, but you can't move the driveshaft with it locked. :D Solution- chock the wheels that are on the ground, or put the truck on jack stands- preferrably on a reasonably level surface.

-Spike

Truck will roll without it locked. If you're on a sloped driveway, that's bad.

Agreed.

But as the OP found out, you also won't be able to rotate your TC flange. Kind of defeats the purpose of have the tranny and TC in neutral, which I assume he was doing so that he could rotate it.

Curtis

Hmm, what works in theory isn't as good as what works when you're under the truck. The axle and t-case have to turn for the driveshaft to turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom