Tricked out exhaust: bad idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
well, on this same '99 I looked at today (see other post), and to my surprise I also discovered that somebody had removed the exhaust system back of where the 2 sides get together and replace the big muffler with a little guy (glass-packed affair?) and then put in a somewhat larger one in the back (so that you could not put the tow bar in anymore - great...). I must say the exhaust rumble was most beautiful though, ooolala! Perhaps the idea was to reduce backpressure and get some more ponies out too? (Was still not very peppy though.)
Anyway, a couple of questions:
- is this bad news, as in messing completely the pressures, the computer, the exhaust and intake characteristics etc?
- what would it cost to put back a "normal" muffler and exhaust system?
- can they have a truck be certified with a non-standard exhaust system and would that not invalidate the warranty?

thanks much
Eric

I don't know the 100 series but on the FZJ (OEM), after the two cats there is a muffler then muffler pipe and then a small resonator (?) at the end right before the tailpipe. Are you sure it is not a similar OEM setup?

hello Ben:
nope, the setup was completely different from the stock one which has this huge muffler midship. This one had a real small muffler (?) in the middle and looked like a custom job.
thanks
Eric

so anybody knows if it's OK to modify the exhaust very significantly like that?
I mean as far as engine breathing etc is concerned.
thanks
Eric

I would say as long as the computer is happy (O2 sensors, etc) a high flow setup should be fine.

I would test it out with AC running, off camber, etc to ensure that customer job doesn't rattle against the frame.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom